New member, hello (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy forumers,

What an invaluable resource this site is. I've only been poking around for a couple of days and already learned a lot.

I've been a lover of the 60 series LandCruiser since I was in elementary school and now that I'm mostly grown up, now it's time to get one.
(Stop reading here, if you don't like heart warming stories of self discovery)
I thought the FJ60 and FJ62 were my only options as I live in California, which was depressing because the one with EFI only comes with an auto (Boring) and the one with the 4-spd gets 14 MPG on the highway (ugh). Then I did a little research and stumbled upon everythingfj60.com and learned there were sooo many more options, and from there, I was liked to here. Long story short, I found my dream rig. The HJ61 (now legal to import to the US!)
<excitement>
I got to researching dealers and importers and LandCruiser Boutique Reatoration Houses (People actually spend 60-90k on these rigs. TLC4x4.com) I've even been checking craigslist in Vancouver and Tijuana.

So here are my questions:
Is the 12H-T worth the price of admission? (13-18K for a freshly imported RHD example)
Are any of you forumers running a 60 series as a daily driver? In RHD?
Are the 13B-T engines more rare than the 12H-T?
Speaking of rarity, if I find an HJ61 anywhere, should it be snapped immediately, or are they common enought to find the "right one"? (IE reasonable mileage, little to no rust etc)
Are there any shortfalls of this rig configuration? Weak points aside from them Birfields?
Honestly I've heard nothing negative. These rigs are robust, and if properly cared for, the 12H-T will last forever.

Anyhow, thanks in advance and for the info this forum has already provided.

Looking forward to hearing back.

-EC

Congratulations for your buy, good choice :cool:

admission? (13-18K, maybe I dont get what you explain, is that TAX o_O)
We all spend our days snapping every hj61, join the club.
How dare you call the birfs weak points? What is a 13B-T? what has Britisch Telecom to do with this?

I used my HJ daily but not anymore (now a 3 cilinder fuel economic, brain wasting car) it is like chuck norris not anymore... or knight rider not anymore, hulk not anymore, A-team not anymore, WWF not anymore...

Welcome!!

So you have discovered the glory of the HJ61 huh? Congrats and welcome to the club. I say that now because if you have the fever now you will most likely end up with one! Lol

I purchased my HJ61 last November and have been having a blast since. I sold a perfectly good and capable 2007 FJ Cruiser to purchase my HJ61 and I would do it again in a heart beat. The 12H-T is a beast and fun to drive. Plenty of power to cruise the highway at 75+ mph and can still get upwards of 26 mpg (with a lighter pedal of course).

I purchased mine from Steve at Land Cruisers Direct and would deal with him again in a heart beat. In fact, my HJ61 is the second vehicle we have purchased from him. My wife bought a BJ71 from him also with the 13B-T! Steve was great to work with, up front on any issues the vehicle may have, and is damn fair on the price in my opinion.

I use my RHD HJ61 for a daily driver and my wife drives her BJ71 to work about twice a week also (40 miles each way). As far as a daily driver is concerned just remember that these are 25+ year old vehicles and there issues are bound to pop up. We own a third vehicle so if something does happen it's not a big deal for us to wait for parts and drive the third rig. Parts are available, but sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for a part to come in from Japan or somewhere else. We have yet to be stranded by either vehicle. In fact, we just completed a 7 day trip to Yellowstone with camping 5 nights in the back of the HJ61. It was a blast!!

As far as week points I'm sure others will be more on top of that than me. I did replace the shafts and birfs in my front end with chromoly ones as a maintenance item, because I want the rig to last me a long time. There was nothing wrong with the factory set up, but I wanted the piece of mind.

Good luck with the hunt and I hope to see your rig on the trail soon! If you have questions ask away and myself or the fantastic folks here on the forum can probably help out!

@hj 60 Through companies like LandCruisersDirect.com (based in Missouri, USA) or JDMLandCruisers.com (based in New York, USA) one can acquire an HJ61 for between $13,000 and $30,000 depending on the mileage, condition, upgrades, factory options, etc. I'm guessing that's not the case in the Netherlands?
When I said "snapping an HJ61", I meant "snapping up an HJ61". As in buying one immediately when one becomes available, regardless of the condition, mileage etc.
By the way, the 13B-T is a Toyota factory turbocharged, direct injected 3B (similar in setup to the 12H-T) diesel inline 4 cylinder. I believe it was available in the BJ60 or 61 and apparently on the 70 series as well, according to @MrTibbs. You can check out my comprehensive Diesel Spec Chart for further information. (the chart will be a living document, so expect frequent updates)

@MrTibbs, thank you for the warm welcome. Your story is one that I was hoping to come across. It's heartening to hear that people are actually having good experiences with those businesses.
Ive been checking those two dealer websites on the daily to see if new stock has arrived (knowing full well that boats from Japan and other countries across the pond usually only arrive twice a month).
How long did you spend looking for your rig before you bought it?

I've been rocking 90's American SUVs (Cherokee and Explorer) for as long as Ive been licensed and have been "burned" too many times. It's time to get something that's going to love me back.
10304874_10152568091213323_2753645116573885442_n.jpg 11223343_10153297834213323_2502323777821840101_o.jpg
(photos for effect)

I would contact Steve direct and have a conversation with him about inventory. I actually told him what I was after and he found it. Because these imports are increasing in popularity he sometimes has rigs spoken for before they even leave Japan! I know when I was looking he contacted me when he purchased my rig and sent me a few photos. He put my name on it and when he received it in Missouri he thoroughly went through the vehicle, took a TON of photos and sent them to me. After that we agreed on a price and in a few weeks I had the rig in my driveway! All in all I probably spent three months waiting, and it was worth it!

And not to toot my own horn too loudly, here is my build thread for Stoffel and here is a peek at our recent trip to Yellowstone and Teton. We both love our imports and plan on keeping them for years. Mine is great for off road/expedition stuff and her little BJ71 is just a BLAST to drive. Not a day goes by that we regret purchasing either rig. As long as you are honest with yourself and realize that a 25+ year old vehicle is not going to be perfect and there will be some maintenance you will have a blast!

@MrTibbs That's a great looking rig. The BJ71 is pretty awesome as well.
Did Steve at LCD charge $1000 "find me a rig" fee?
I'm excited to talk to him. Sounds like a stand up dealer.

Thank you for the follow up.

No "finders fee" charged. The HJ61 was the second rig we bought from him and both times he was great to work with. He is going to buy vehicles anyways and they will sell so in my case it was just a matter of getting in line per say. I was fine without the lockers (although now that I have them I can't live without them! Lol), but Stoffel was the first clean rig that he came across that I was interested in. He purchased a few other HJ61's that I just wasn't feeling so I passed.

On a side note, I know Steve has his personal HJ61 up for sale as well right now. If you are looking for a solid rig that is already built I would look at that! It's the white one on his website for sale for $27K. That is the exact rig that I test drove that convinced me I needed a HJ61. Since I drove it he has done a ton of work to it. It's a larger up front cost, but it's also trail ready and built. Just a thought!

If you like a 60 then a 61 is the best I think, over here they are to expensive but if you are going to do all the work it needs it is better to do that on a 61.
Because on my 60 I have done so much it is ridiculous because after all it still is 30 years old, slow and rusty.

I though that admission was a tax but if for that money you can find one and afford it just go for it and stay with it for 10 years.
Mine is now about 5 years, drove 60.000 km and now not as a daily driver anymore which saves a lot of oil changes and maintenance.
Would not like to sell now!

If you follow the same scenario as many did you will buy new tires, suspension, lift, regular maintenance (brake pads/discs, front rebuild (birfs, bearings), drive line, tie-rods x 5, 5-speed , bumper, winch, snorkel, that is alot of time and money.
The test drive would be the best to compare, mine is slow but goes on and uphill without problem, depends if you are used to v8 stuff.

my favorite would be safari roof, pto winch, lockers, full floater, lift, stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom