New, dry AC system...r12 or r134 or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I'm in the process of installing all underhood AC components. It was previously removed.

In a dry, new system...Would you recommend r12 or r134? Or something else?

Thanks, Pierre. Here's a photo of the Brown Recluse.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1435942212.424057.jpg

I would only use r12 if it were cheap and readily avail (it is not)...or to top off existing.

134a is super cheap effective and readily avail. Not to mention safer for the environment!

R12 doesn't seam cheap lately. So, basically have a shop do the r134 filling. Thanks.

When I installed the new AC I went with 134 because of availability and cost. R12 is better, but you will pay.

My friend swears by propane. Everyone gets a knee jerk reaction to that, but according to the internet and him, it's as safe as the other refrigerants.

If the internet says it, it must be true .... :rolleyes:

The truth is propane and other hydrocarbon gases work well as a refrigerant, and have characteristics much like R12, but you really want to risk incinerating your truck and possibly yourself if you develop a leak? What happens if you're in an accident and the lines/condenser (the thing in front of the radiator!) rupture?

That's why it's illegal in passenger cars/trucks. But hey, anybody wants to take a chance on being a piece of KFC, go for it.

:hillbilly:

Propane? Never heard of that. Char-Broil FJ60.

I guess not much worse than a tank of gas under the truck.

Ive used R152 aka Difluroethane. Runs low pressures like R12, runs cold like R12 and its available at your local computer shop, Hardware, Office supplies shop etc. Its also much safer for the environment. Its no where near as flammable as a hydrocarbon...and its cheap!

anyways, heres a link to my thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/aircon-install-hj60.811854/

I recently replaced my condenser, compressor and receiver, along with all the gaskets to R134 compatible and have been pleased with the result. Definitely not as cold as the old R12, which pretty much made icicles on the vents, but when the compressor blew and leaked everything out, it wasn't an option to top it off. At least here in CA, it's tough to find a shop that will do R12, and by law they have to repair any leaks in the system before they'll even try to fill, at least according to local guy I went to. Replaced all the components myself, since the system was already empty, and had a buddy who's an HVAC guy vacuum and fill it. So far, so good.

Propane? Never heard of that. Char-Broil FJ60.

I guess not much worse than a tank of gas under the truck.

Gasoline, acetone, brake cleaner, etc. all have better evaporative qualities than water, but that doesn't mean I have any intention of dousing myself with them to cool off.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but the research I've done shows that propane is not any more dangerous than other refrigerants.
It won't reach explosive levels while the vehicle is running, due to the airflow under the hood. You will smell any leaks in the cab before they become dangerous. It is also sold as an AC refrigerant under a different label, so I don't believe that it is illegal.

I'm no expert, but the research I've done shows that propane is not any more dangerous than other refrigerants.
It won't reach explosive levels while the vehicle is running, due to the airflow under the hood. You will smell any leaks in the cab before they become dangerous. It is also sold as an AC refrigerant under a different label, so I don't believe that it is illegal.
Yup, agreed, here in Oz we can legally use it in vehicles, its called Hichill Minus 30, and is a proprietry belend of propane and butane....
typically the average car may use 700 to 900g of gas, and i cant see it being any more dangerous in an accident than a ruptured fuel line or the myriad of other dangers posed in a vehicle front on collision....

Where do you live? If you can afford it, just get r12 and enjoy the cold cold AC. I know I do on hot CA summer days.

I wouldn't compare propane to a ruptured fuel line, your fuel lines don't run right behind the grill. A minor fender bender and a fire will start. You have to get in a bad wreck to cause a 60 to rupture a fuel line. R134 is great, with any refrigerant you can really only go so cold before the evaporator turns to ice and then you lose airflow all together. Maybe the reason people feel r134 isnt as cold is because they are still using the r12 pressure switch? Just a thought. Ive never done a fj60 r134 retrofit, but of the other vehicles I have, no one has ever complained of the r134 performance.

I wouldn't compare propane to a ruptured fuel line, your fuel lines don't run right behind the grill. A minor fender bender and a fire will start. You have to get in a bad wreck to cause a 60 to rupture a fuel line. R134 is great, with any refrigerant you can really only go so cold before the evaporator turns to ice and then you lose airflow all together. Maybe the reason people feel r134 isnt as cold is because they are still using the r12 pressure switch? Just a thought. Ive never done a fj60 r134 retrofit, but of the other vehicles I have, no one has ever complained of the r134 performance.

This. Mine is ice cold and filled with R134. It's cold enough that it will freeze the evaporator solid if the ECU didn't cycle the pump

Mine is still r12. It's had normal maintenance, no repairs really, and you can hang meat in front of the vents here in Florida. Overcoming the heat from the tunnel and floor is near impossible when running hard though.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking but what is needed to properly convert from r12 to r134? New o-rings and seals everywhere? I have a slow leak and I think it may be because it was improperly converted. Po said they put r134 in it.
*edit
Apparently, just fittings. Just watched a video. Looks like mine's been done already.

Last edited:
The recharge ports have R134 adapters threaded onto them that are irreversible. The only other difference is the type of oil that's used to keep the system lubricated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom