New drivetrain for my 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was done with a NASA level of driveway precision.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Need more metal!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Careful welding that cardboard together. Last time I tried that I had a heat transfer problem.

Careful welding that cardboard together. Last time I tried that I had a heat transfer problem.

So I tried welding the cardboard, didn't work out so well so I did it again in mild steel. Much better than the cardboard.

Got some practice in with the TIG machine making this next part. Not because I needed to, but the welds come out smaller with is nice. Although it will all be covered in carpet.

Put an access panel over where the Hi-Low linkage is on the transfer case. That one is a pain to get under the car, and I can pull the passenger seat out in less then 30 seconds with an impact.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

No way man, I'm having a blast with this project!

Burned in the box on Thursday.

image.jpeg

What welder are you using. I was thinking of getting one from harbor freight to learn.

I'm using a Lincoln on 110 on a 30ft extension cord :doh:

I can't stress it enough, DON'T buy a harbor freight welder. Go on Craigslist and get a good used machine from a name brand like Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, etc, there's tons of info out there. Are you set up for 220V?

If you count the laundry.. then yes, im setup for 220. :)

Ill check craigslist. I figure for just over $100 it would be a good start for a beginner welder.

It's really worth it to run 220 and buy a decent machine, even an entry level one. With the name brand, if you end up not getting into it at least you'll be able to resell it.

Welding is NOT a cheap hobby/tool. At least if you want to do it right, you're talking hundreds of dollars in consumables, hood, gloves, accessories like magnets, you need a nice metal table, etc.

Now that I think about it, I actually have the full Harbor Freight welding setup. MIG and TIG welders, table, hood. But that's my dad's stuff, I use nice machines at work :)

Let's see how well this off-the-shelf NV4500 mount works for my application

image.jpeg

Returned that mount and bought a different one. This one works, only drilled two holes in the crossmember (which is mean for an A440f automatic in case anyone was wondering). This is kind of wimpy and I'm only going to keep this setup to get rolling. I want to build something tubular that is solid-mounted to the cases and supports the rear of the drivetrain a little more. That will probably be priority #2 as soon as this junk is back on the road, after I build a front driveshaft so I can make a new crossmember to hold the carrier bearing.

image (2).jpeg
image.jpeg
image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

Started building my transmission. Would have finished but I have the wrong reverse gear. Plus another bearing because now I have to cut the one I just installed off. Just another $100 down :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom