New drivetrain for my 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, full line-up will be 3FE-NV4500-NP203-Split-case.

Doubler and Nv4500 are Dodge, splitcase is an 87 for bearing supported gears and manual-shift 4WD.

Yes, full line-up will be 3FE-NV4500-NP203-Split-case.

Doubler and Nv4500 are Dodge, splitcase is an 87 for bearing supported gears and manual-shift 4WD.
Very interesting. Is the NP203 split? Nay major modifications to mate it to the toyota split case? How much longer does the make the overal drivetrain (back of block to back of transfercase). I wonder if that setup would work in an 80...I am considering converting my white 80 to an LSX 6.0 or 6.2 + NV4500 or 6L80E

It's the front half of an entire NP203 transfer case, the Hi-Lo portion separates completely and there's an adapter plate to bolt it to the split case.

The front half of the 203 is drilled and tapped to bolt directly to the NV4500 tailhousing.

Earlier in this thread I have the numbers written out, but in short the two adapters (front of NV4500 and behind the 203) plus the lengths of the 203 and NV4500 are within a 1/4" on my old A440f automatic transmission I used to have.

For an 80 series application, I don't know how that compares length wise to an A383. With a 6L80e you will definitely need to move the fuel tank though, for sure.

As soon as I purchase the 203 doubler from John to get it out of his basement this project will go on hold as I prepare my truck for GSMTR. I don't think I'll have the time money to really to it the way I want to along with all the other stuff it needs in the time frame. Also, school and stuff.

I was going to need a new exhaust with the swap and I'd always hated how low it hung so I'll do that, along with GM 1-ton tie-rods, install some fun parts in the front end (brake backing plate eliminators, chromo hub studs, chromo knuckle studs,), and fix some of the things anoying me about the engine. And my radio is wired poorly (priority).

So anyone who was thinking about convoying with me to Tennessee I'll be in the slow lane with no overdrive (AGAIN). LOL

203 doubler with splitcase adapter out of @Lil'John 's FJ55 with showed up. Gaskets for the splitcase showed up from Georg @orangefj45 . Just need to buy an NV4500 mainshaft, a shifter, a few more small parts for the transfer case from Toyota, and metal for the crossmember. And a
twin-stick kit from Georg. And an FJ62 floor cover. And a 10.5" Chevy clutch disk along with conversion pilot bearing and input bearingretainer sleeve. And the custom 1/2"-7/16" shoulder boots to bolt the NV4500 to the AA adapter plate. And need tonorder the parts to build the new exhaust system. $$$$$$

Goal is to begin disassembley April 1st. Bigger goal is to drive it to GSMTR with the new drivetrain. And keep my straight A's in school..... And job :)

image.jpeg

203 and NV4500 are both living in the cargo bay of my 62 killing gas mileage :)

Can't wait to see it.

Here's a good place to buy elbows for making exhaust Mandrel Bent Elbow
It takes a couple of weeks to get an order though.

Mainshaft, a few seals and a shifter and knob ordered. Still need the shift tower but this pretty much concludes my NV4500 parts purchases. Such a ******* hassle that could have bee avoided if I had just bought the right transmission. It would be in the truck by now.

Not looking good as to getting it in before GSMTR. Probably will just drive the truck as it is, probably just do an oil change and work out a few kinks. Hopefully Dominick can stand to drive slowly with me...

Very interesting. Is the NP203 split? Nay major modifications to mate it to the toyota split case? How much longer does the make the overal drivetrain (back of block to back of transfercase). I wonder if that setup would work in an 80...I am considering converting my white 80 to an LSX 6.0 or 6.2 + NV4500 or 6L80E

Let's clarify slightly because I made a BONEHEAD mistake.

An a440f (FJ62 automatic) is ~27".

The face-to-face measurement of an NV4500/203 combination WITH both adapter plates on the front and rear is also ~27".

Factory drive shafts, right?

Right....

What I was neglecting was that the FJ62 automatic measurement includes the bellhousing. And in the stock FJ62 set-up the split-case is pushed as far back as it will go before floor mods are necessary. And then I relized every 60/62 with a 203 also has either a V8 or 4-cylinder diesel and has their motor pushed forwards taking up the space of those two cylinders that aren't there from the removed F-motor, or has their floor cut up.

So, how do I keep the doubler with the 3FE? Short answer is, I'm not.

I was figuring with the direction parts availability is heading a V8 was in my future anyhow, and with the domestic transmission I can put pretty much anything in front of it.

Conveniently my very nice and powerful 3FE I built ~1.5 years ago at the time of this posting blew up a few weeks ago. After pulling everything, deciding that while it was all out I should swap drivetrains now instead of over the summer, I was spending some time underneath scrubbing frame rails with a toothbrush and got to eyeballing the underside of the floor. After doing some "air measurements" I ran and got a tape measure and quickly realized my setup was not only going to make my rear driveshaft about 18" long, it would also put the transfer case in the rear floor, and badly. For my intentions with this truck I want to keep the interior stock.

I'm just glad I noticed now and not after building the splitcase onto the doubler or even worse, under the car trying to install only ti find it would not work at all.

So, currently looking at buying the Advance Adapters kit to go straight from the NV4500 to the split-case. This will actually work really well because the NV4500/bellhousing is ACTUALLY the same length as the old auto. And the original crossmember (which I had never cut the frame brackets off of) lands directly under the NV4500 tailhousing so mounting will hopefully be a breeze.

Putting the doubler in the shed until the time comes for a V8. Have a line on a buyer but I don't think I could replicate this setup again.

Iphone5s 1427.JPG
Iphone5s 1427.JPG

This shows the difference of the H41/42/55f mount (left) vs the automatic mount (right).

Iphone5s 1449.JPG

Iphone5s 1450.JPG

This shows where the shifter placement will roughly be in comparison to original.
Iphone5s 1431.JPG

Also, right before the engine seized the rest of the stuff came in for the conversion and I started to work on swapping the gears from the GM to the Dodge.

Iphone5s 1349.JPG
Iphone5s 1350.JPG

This is the difference between the reverse idler gears, GM on the left and Dodge on the right. The gear and bearing are new however I will also need the shorter shaft that it uses. Might just cut the long one and smooth i out on the lathe. Time dependent on that one.
Iphone5s 1367.JPG

The rear cluster bearing needs to be removed in order to remove the cluster gearset from the old case. Didn't have an adequate puller so I just cut it off. It is no longer reusable. :hillbilly:
Iphone5s 1408.JPG
Iphone5s 1410.JPG

Interestingly enough, all the bearings I've removed are Timken brand (made in USA), but all the bearings I'm ordering from Bearingkit.com are Koyo (made in Japan, factory on Toyota's). SEE, putting American parts on my Toyota isn't SOO bad! :hillbilly:

Iphone5s 1411.JPG

The cluster gear is massive!!

Iphone5s 1416.JPG

After consulting the hardcore section, I am going ahead with my original plan. The floor cut will be minor and my driveshafts will be fine. Looking at the front a two-piece might happen.

Mocked it up, bare engine block, transmission and split case are empty shells, 203 is built because i didn't want to take it apart.

13315340_786488494820275_2044030569424666441_n (1).jpg

13331084_786488481486943_5707838685581745539_n (1).jpg

Then the next morning I put in in the rig to check for fitment and clearance issues. The stock FJ62 crossmember (automatic) fits PERFECTLY under the NV4500 tailhousing. All I'm going to need to do is oval the to two holes in the crossmember and run some bolts through the tailhoulsing. Anyone have a good suggestion for a sort of "sheet" bushing I can use between the two? Hopefully something that won't deform? Delrin? Needs to be compression resistant but still absorb vibration.

I need to cut the floor where the rear heater is under the center console, hopefully I can raise it up to where the top of the heater used to be and keep my stock center console. Transmission shifter moves towards the rear of the vehicle but nothing drastic, only a couple inches. I'll try to do the floor cuts tomorrow.

13312708_786723458130112_8081477480338429519_n.jpg

13327427_786723464796778_6587954348515010986_n.jpg

13346499_786723488130109_2135245506782835117_n.jpg

Trying to keep a positive attitude throughout this. At least there's no turning back now :)

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom