New drivetrain for my 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
Thought I would document my progress for what will (when complete) be the most custom (and coolest IMO) part of my rig.

My FJ62 is getting (behind the rebuilt 3FE) a Dodge Standard Duty (gas) NV4500 5-speed transmission, the front half of an NP203 transfer case (which is the reduction/Hi-Low portion) and then a stock FJ62 transfer case converted from vacuum shift to manual shift.

3-Speed Toyota bellhousing is on its way from New York (Free +shipping!!) which will allow me to use the Advance Adapters SM465-to-NV4500 adapter plate.

I just claimed a rebuilt and powder coated NP203 already drilled so it bolts to the NV4500. And it includes an adapter to the Split Case. And did I mention that the whole setup was only 500 bucks? The adapter alone costs more than that. So that was a sweet deal.

Lastly my original plan was to just bolt up a Dana 300 and eventually Atlas behind the NV4500, however I got the 203 and adapter for less then a set of Lo-Max 300 gears and a doubler is way cooler anyways.

Now, I already have a split-case in the truck, pre-10/82 the earliest iteration with the 34mm idler shaft and no provision for the h55f's extra bolt, the reason I have it is that Eric (wheelin62) went to an H55f (the logical thing to do) and couldn't use this case. So I have it.

A key difference between the 60 and 62 case is that the 62 split case has bearings supporting the gears instead of bushings And it has a lower Low range (by a whole 0.02:1!!). So I'm going to go with that.

TLDR - I do things the hard way.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the 203 doubler with adapters to install between a Land Cruiser transmission and transfer case. I'm getting the transfer side adapter.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446065143.128234.jpg

How are your current transfer and motor mounts?

Very broken...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446083092.542893.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446083126.427629.jpg

I just claimed a rebuilt and powder coated NP203 already drilled so it bolts to the NV4500. And it includes an adapter to the Split Case. And did I mention that the whole setup was only 500 bucks? The adapter alone costs more than that. So that was a sweet deal.

That really is a good deal!
Does the NV4500 output shaft have to be cut or modified for the NP203?
You've done your homework well and it should be a nice setup.

No, the Dodge Standard Duty version that I plan on using has a 23 spine output shaft, same as the the 203 input.

Can you post some pictures of your interior of your green truck? Trying to figure out what the transmission shifter will look like, it should be about 3" back from the factory location because I'm keeping the motor in the original place, right?

Also, I haven't decided on doing twin sticks and a separate shifter for the doubler, or triple sticks. I have time to decide.

I know the shifter sits further back on the NV4500. I really can't give you a reference where it will pop up on your floorboard because I installed my engines forward of stock location stink shifters bb.jpg stinky shifters2.jpg and have had three different engines in it. You won't need to be concerned about the shifter being too close to the heater box, I know that. The pics below are with the engine either 3" or 5" forward, I forget which.
You can take the piece of carpet you cut to modify your hole and glue it back on the other side of the hole where the void is. If you know a home carpet installer you can get some splicing tape.

AA makes a mounting plate with stud to mount your stock Land cruiser transfer case shifter. It's around $25 IIRC

The nice thing about not having to hack up your NV4500 output shaft is that you can easily go to another transfer case (Dana 30 or Atlas)in the future if you wanted, without having to disassemble the tranny to put a stock shaft back in.

Because of the 203 doubler it's easier to build twin sticks for the split case. What I haven't figure out yet is wether or not to do triple sticks or twins with the doubler isolated.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446217701.729075.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446217724.578058.jpg

I figure the transmission shifter will sit a full 3-4" rearwards the stock location because of the 3/4" adapter plate and the rear-bias of the top plate. I figure I'll use the AA bracket to mount the twins (there's no good mounting spots on the side of the NV4500, so I'll buy that bracket regardless), and have the doubler shifter next to the trans shifter.

Either way I figure I'll be cutting up the floor, I'm just going to put a new front carpet in. My current is out of one of Deo's parts 60's from when I did my manual conversion and it's old.

First parts came in. 3-speed bellhousing out of an FJ40 and a MINT inspection cover (rare). This will make my engine look like the back of a Gen. 1 Chevy.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446250081.121729.jpg

Here's what I did to use the original shifter on the Toybox install.

Three side by side shifters would have the super coolness factor.

aaalink1-em.jpg

aaalink2-em.jpg

I have a good rebuilt split-style (80-90) transfer case on my truck now, however to minimize down time my goal is to have the entire new drivetrain, transmission/doubler/transfercase rebuilt and assembled on the bench while the truck is still on the road.

So I started looking for an FJ62 transfer case (I have the earliest iteration of the splitcase, 34mm idler shaft and bushings, in the rig now) which has bearing supported gears to convert to manual shift (from vacuum). Well, I just got a super sweet deal on an 87 case, the very best version usually valued at around $750-800. This case has bearing supported gears, manual shift, and the 38mm shaft.

So all I need to acquire now is:
Dodge LD NV4500
AA Chevy-Dodge adapter
10.5" Chevy clutch disc
Figure out what I'll do for the pilot bearing, I think the AA kit includes one.
And a transfer case rebuild kit :)

I'm thinking March (spring break) for the swap, and enough road time to be ready for GSMTR :bounce:

Before I do it I definitely have to re-route the exhaust. That's happening in December. And with the new 35's the brakes need attention, bad. Eliminating the LSPV and completely redo-ing the front end.

Not enough money, not enough time :)

Last edited:
A good option is a pilot bushing. I've never had one fail. Although not all that common, I've seen a couple bearing failures on the bearing style over the years.

You can use an 11" clutch for sure and more than likely a 12" clutch. They all have the same bolt pattern. I used a 12" clutch on a std car flywheel.

Hopefully you can find a nice NV4500 with known history for a good price. So many of them have seen hard use. At the time I was looking, I couldn't find one at a decent price. I ended up buying a brand new one. 12 years later and ZERO problems, I've been happy.
For what used and rebuilt ones are selling for, it's worth a look into NEW.

I bought mine from Hi-Impact. They happen to have them on sale now:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a Limited Time Sale Pricing:

New Dodge HD Diesel NV4500 - $1,850 without shift tower; with shift tower and shifter stick - $1,950 - no core charge

New GM NV4500 without shift tower - $1,850; with shift tower and shifter stick $1,950.00 - no core charge

Warranty:

1 year warranty, unlimited miles if used for personal use
6 months, unlimited miles if used for business purposes

Actually I've read a ton in the 40 forums about 11" clutch discs (out of a Chevy 3/4 ton) needing to be ground down, and that 10.5" will be perfect fit.

And for the pilot, I know I'm doing a bronze bushing however the question is whether I'm machining it myself or buying one already made. I have access to a lathe or milling machine.

As for the NV4500 the biggest issue I'm concerned about us the 5th gear nut. I'm not sure if the High Impact transmissions have them updated but the rebuilt ones on eBay seem to. I'm not sure wether or not that was an issue with the 6.5 diesel vibrating too much. Did you have an NV4500 when you had the 6.5 in your 60?

Oh, and I need a Light Duty version instead of the Heavy Duty.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448042871.571916.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448042918.225285.jpg

My 1987 split-case came in Wednesday and I spent many hours yesterday cleaning the housings. I think I'm still going to hot tank them to get every nook. I love aluminum.

This project will get delayed slightly because of a purchase I made this morning...

Cruisermatt's FZJ6.0

But it will still happen :)

Not swapping frames on my red truck. Building a second cruiser, 62 body, 80 frame, GM V8 of some variety.

WOW! Ambitious plans there young grasshopper.

I REALLY look forward to seeing this project transform. It will be the ultimate Landcruiser.
I'll be happy to help if I can.
One of the more challenging aspects will be finding a good 60/62 body :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom