New bolt-in version of the seat box. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
Threads
Website
www.wagongear.com
Cross-posted from my rebuild thread in order to not muck it up:

I think I would have to charge a whole lot more if I hope to fund a rebuild. :p
At least you know it would go to a good cause, and no need to bug me about it, I would not have put all that work into a redesign unless I wanted to get other trucks outfitted the same way.
I've got a few minor corrections to make and then I will make a production test unit to replace the rough one in my truck. I am all set to make these for up to 1986 trucks, simple change for the later models but I need to make the templates.
I will be making the templates for the 80s as well.
They are certainly going to be a specialty item, don't expect to have much demand for them but it will be there for the few that it suits.

Did I mention that the "box" goes right through to the other side with this design? Will make a nice place to lock long-arms or fly roads when it's all set. :cool:

The flip windows are first priority right now though.

IMG_7868.jpg

I would love to sport a set of these. Please count me first in line :D

When you say 1986, do you mean model or production year?

Production, kind of, the floor style is not consistent.
It's fit for the tall seat mounts for all early 60s, that goes through most of 85.
Unlike most other changes that all took effect by October of 85 the floor pan change over seems to have been a bit delayed, all 62s have the short mounts and most 86 60s as well.

This is cool Kevin. I saw the new style in your thread and wondered if you were going to offer them.

Production, kind of, the floor style is not consistent.
It's fit for the tall seat mounts for all early 60s, that goes through most of 85.
Unlike most other changes that all took effect by October of 85 the floor pan change over seems to have been a bit delayed, all 62s have the short mounts and most 86 60s as well.

Interesting:hmm: I was previously unaware that the interior body structure changed during the 60 series body production run.

If you need me to take measurements or pictures of a 87 model year body, let me know :cheers:

I an in number two slot, 1885 April issue Fj-60 not unusual for me and Johnny to be after the same thing at about the same time. If you need somthing measured or pic's(Might have to get Trollhole to measure as my beast is at his place for fuel injection at the moment) let me know. Same phone as before or let me know via message and I'll update your files. That thing is going to be perfect for long guns and pistola's. Gotta love it. Thanks Kevin:)

P. S. I think I want the rear windows too!!!!!

Last edited:
So what is the idea with the 80 series boxes? Just under the driver's seat or full width where you have to take out the rear heater and part of the console?

I still want a tailgate lid a lot.

Interesting:hmm: I was previously unaware that the interior body structure changed during the 60 series body production run.

If you need me to take measurements or pictures of a 87 model year body, let me know :cheers:
Your's should be the same as an FJ62, if you ever tried to swap seats between an early and late cruiser you would see the difference.

I an in number two slot, 1885 April issue Fj-60 not unusual for me and Johnny to be after the same thing at about the same time. If you need something measured or pic's(Might have to get Trollhole to measure as my beast is at his place for fuel injection at the moment) let me know. Same phone as before or let me know via message and I'll update your files. That thing is going to be perfect for long guns and pistola's. Gotta love it. Thanks Kevin:)

P. S. I think I want the rear windows too!!!!!
Yup, it's not a ton of room but you can store/lock a few of the important things.
The biggest part to me is that you can have an "empty" truck but still have all your tools and spares, then on top of that the heavy stuff should go here (recovery gear and tools) since it is so low and the weight is centered between the wheels.
The other thing is to provide a simple flat sturdy surface to bolt aftermarket seats to, I've seen so many mickey-moused seat mounts that just make me cringe. This way there is a flat deck, go from there.

So what is the idea with the 80 series boxes? Just under the driver's seat or full width where you have to take out the rear heater and part of the console?
The 80 idea is exactly the same, a whole platform from one side to the other. The floor pans are remarkably similar. You end up with two flat decks for the seats and a flat deck in the center. The center can be an access hatch like I have in mine or it can be a flat sturdy place to mount any console. Depending on how things go what I will probably end up doing is making a bolt-on mid height and full height stone-cold-simple center console for those who want (nothing crazy, simple and strong, that's it).
We have rear heaters in the 60s and 62s as well, get rid of it. this is a practical, utilitarian, storage space mod, rear heaters are not part of that vision. :cool:
I don't like them anyway, they send very valuable engine coolant through weak tin lines under the truck where they are vulnerable.

If you keep a rear heater, at least replace the lines with rubber ones.
Don't even talk to me about trying to keep it and have a box though, I don't want to hear it, not interested if your truck is a :princess:-mobile.

:grinpimp:

In general this mod is not going to be for everyone, there are a fairly unique set of criteria that would need to be met to make it effective, but if should be very effective for those that it works for.
For the most part it is a reversible mod though, all the little brackets and the rear seat mounts need to have the spot welds drilled out so they can be moved out of the way, but they could all be welded back in place down the road if needed. I don't expect to build a lot of them since it is so specialized, and each one will be built for each truck so there will be subtle changes to suit the use. In general though this is going to be a my-way-or-the-highway mod. I've put a lot of work and testing into the setup and there is a very specific way that I think it is right, to keep the ones I make as cost effective for you and time efficient for me, they are pretty much going to be the way they are.
(so I was kind of joking about the rear heater thing, but at the same time, I wasn't. ;p)
KR

Last edited:
Brought over from the rebuild thread:

Ok Kevin Where's the sign up roster for the underseat storage I'll put it in prior to sound damping. Love your mod's. :)

Never mind found it in your vendors forum, dang it number two behind Johnny again. LOL
Yup, thread over in the vendor section.
One thing to note: they are made to go right on over sound damping and carpet and everything, just drop it right in.

:cheers:
KR

What I should have said is that I will coat the underside of the new mount with the spray on deadner at instilation of this wonderful mod, as I put the carpet back in my beast. That and the stowed gear should go a long way to deading the whine of the AA gears in the transfer case. Any way looking forward to this mod for sure. IN my case you can make it and inch or two taller than normal as I like sitting with my head near the top. So when do you expect to start taking orders and payments etc. So glad you thought of this bolt in modification however I did love the photo of you walking thru the hole in the old storage system.

What I should have said is that I will coat the underside of the new mount with the spray on deadner at instilation of this wonderful mod, as I put the carpet back in my beast. That and the stowed gear should go a long way to deading the whine of the AA gears in the transfer case. Any way looking forward to this mod for sure. IN my case you can make it and inch or two taller than normal as I like sitting with my head near the top. So when do you expect to start taking orders and payments etc. So glad you thought of this bolt in modification however I did love the photo of you walking thru the hole in the old storage system.

Ah, I see. You can do that, but I think you would be better off glueing some foam to just the underside of the top surface than coating the whole thing. Since they go on over the carpet you've already blocked the noise and these things certainly do not reverberate. :p Like you say as well the gear you store in there would provide plenty of surfaces to break up any noise.

And Doc, since you are already a customer I am going to pick on you as an example of what I mean by "my way or the highway" on these. :D
They are a very complex bit of geometry, when you are dealing with seat geometry things get very particular. If I followed your request and gave you a set that was: "an inch or two" taller, that would be a HUGE adjustment when it comes to seat placement, BIG changes are about 0.375", an inch or two would amount to either being able to get your legs between the seat and steering wheel or not. :p
It may seem a bit counterintuitive but the objective with these boxes was to actually get them as low as possible, as I'm sure a lot of you know the 60s are really tough to put other makes of seats in since the seat pan is very low profile from stock, almost any other seat you pull out of another car has much more base to butt position height than what we have (the seat angle, density of the foam and size all have a huge influence on this as well). On trucks with automatic transmissions the seats can be a bit more arbitrary since you only have the two pedals in there, but throw in a clutch and the height and seat angle gets very particular.

There are a lot of variables with this though, I think what I will do is make another video (I'm liking this video thing) and talk about that stuff since to type it all out would take pages and a pictures worth.....

Sign me up Kevin. Can you do them without the mounting holes so we can put different seats in? Momma likes her heated seats.
None of them would have mount holes, that is next to impossible to do without the actual seats. Those mount holes that I have just line up with the custom brackets on the bottom of my (Subaru) seats. All these would be is literally a flat (flat as in a flat plane, not level, they are at an angle) strong deck so you can mount whatever is needed on there.

:cheers:
KR

under seat

Believe me as a past customer I will not cross wits with you on design or any other issue, height issue now dead duck. I am still very excited about this product.

Oh now come on Mr. Easterly, you've got to put up some kind of a fight! It's no fun otherwise. :D

Let me get my CAD files updated and a proper (not chopped up and changed a dozen times) set made, then I'll ask to see some pics and dimensions of your setup and make some determinations for seats based on that.

Good to know you are on board! Having seen some of your rig I think you will be a good candidate to give these a shot.

KR

This is actually the first project you did on your truck that thought "I MUST DO THAT", then I tried and it was more difficult then I wanted to spend time on. Here it is years later and you are actually doing it. Love it, want it, line me up! I'm already looking for new seats so this is a great excuse for them.

This is actually the first project you did on your truck that thought "I MUST DO THAT", then I tried and it was more difficult then I wanted to spend time on. Here it is years later and you are actually doing it. Love it, want it, line me up! I'm already looking for new seats so this is a great excuse for them.
Yeah, it's a surprisingly complicated little project and I haven't seen anyone else really pull it off, that's part of the reason why I went through the extra effort to update it with this rebuild. It's not for everyone, but.....
And yeah, it takes me a long time to do things, but I try to get them just right. :p

:D I try to keep a sharp eye on what Kevin makes for new products. I think the production seat box will look awesome in Moonshine!!
The new Moonshine needs some new love! Would work well in there, you don't even have carpet interference to worry about and should make a nice base for those b-day present seats.

Does the latest seat box version result in a higher or lower seat position. I know the first version ended up with the seat a bit higher. Any idea what the seat height effect would be using stock seats?
Good memory (or at least careful reading) Yeah, seat height is a huge issue, I was not happy that I ended up a touch high on the original version. In that case it was a whole new floor and I could put things wherever I wanted. On V.2 I was limited to getting it as low as possible while still keeping the OE structure, I was actually able to get it a tiny bit lower than my originals though. Now that height is relative to the Subaru seats which are quite low profile but are still a little thicker than the OE ones. If you were to mount the stock seats back directly on the new flat deck they would actually be about 0.375 lower than stock. The good thing about that is it gives you structure and mounting options not allowed with the factory stanchions.

Last edited:
Oh now come on Mr. Easterly, you've got to put up some kind of a fight! It's no fun otherwise. :D

Let me get my CAD files updated and a proper (not chopped up and changed a dozen times) set made, then I'll ask to see some pics and dimensions of your setup and make some determinations for seats based on that.

Good to know you are on board! Having seen some of your rig I think you will be a good candidate to give these a shot.

KR

Dude I know your work and I know your work ethic, dang if I am going to even open that argument anytime. When you see or work with a pro don't get in there way!!! Saves a bunch of time and heartache. Now we can argue balistics, football , anyother topic but mod's to 60's no dang way you are the final authority;) in my book. :cheers: Glad to be on board and yes I think this addition will add to my ugly (but capable) beast. Will get the pic's whenever you want won't take but a minute to pull out the current seats and the tuffy console. Of course that is as soon as I get it back from Trollhole's Fuel injection mod, he said it should be ready by next Friday or Saturday. That is one mod I have been wanting for a long time, well since GSMTR last year.

Thanks for the clarifications...but I got to keep the rear heat for now, maybe when the kid is a little older.

I'll watch as it develops though, super neat products.

Subscribed. Would like to follow this this develops for an 80, and the console concept.

I have an '88 62 and from the sounds of it the seat box that is used for the later model 60's will work for my rig, yes?

If so, sign me up! I won't be difficult and I won't ask for any special mods...except perhaps a signature :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom