New American Built Adrenalin Off-Road Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having owned a Tentrax (Towed over the Rubicon) an Adventure Trailers, Chaser and finally a Kimberly Kamper I consider myself pretty well versed in the "Off road" trailer category.

I think it's great to see a clam shell style trailer made in the U.S. As Rezarf said, I think the bar has been set high by AT for customer service. Also being around Spresso's and Mall Crawler's (Redline on ExPo, www.roadtraver.net) newest versions of the Kimberly I can say they are just top notch units.

It's interesting that Adrenaline chose to follow the older style KK canvas vs the newer style that affords one full use of the floor space. It may sound trivial, but when you have a kid(s) on a cot or the slim bunk bed style cots you really use all of the available floor space. Maybe Adrenaline will address this on later versions? Perhaps maybe even incorporate built in awnings on the side windows like those found on Eezi-Awn RTT.

I felt that the floor space was what set the KK, Kamparoo and now Adrenaline apart from other offerings. The ability to get dressed while standing, or a camp chair and small table setup inside the KK to escape foul weather was awesome. What's the floor space length measure out at?

I'm curious about the dust seal of the Adrenaline. The KK has a one piece interior that works really well.

Without seeing an Adrenaline in person, I think the price is right in line for what appears to be a Kimberly "Light."

What's the floor space length measure out at?

Thanks for the great input. I'll get back to you on that one. It is big enough for 2 pack-n-play's to be mounted side by side though.

Had the trailer out for Cruise Moab this week spending a couple of nights in it. We were amazed at the way the thing tows. On road my MPGs dropped by ~2-3, but the trailer tows nicely. It does not wander or surge at all. I am probably going to end up adding airbags to the truck to get the truck stance right as the trailer has a is fairly heavy tongue. I have not weighed the tongue but two strong adults are needed to lift it. The total trailer weight is 2,320lbs with 20 gallons of water, full 20lb tank, all extra canvas, firewood and all of our gear for the week. I'm estimating that the empty trailer is 800-1000lbs less when dry.

Setup was very simple and we got a chance to test the waterproofing during a rain storm. Everything stayed completely dry. Dust sealing while driving is great on some compartments and needs some improvements on others. The kitchen and electronics area stayed dust free as did the front box. There was some dust ingress through the rear compartment that I think can be easily remedied with a different seal and perhaps a sandwiched door design which would greatly improve the rigidity. The rear compartment also had some water ingress when I washed the trailer, it was minimal but still needs some improvement. My biggest complaint on the trailer and accessories is the pole design. They are twist-lock style and on several occasions the stopper got stuck or even fell off requiring an aggravating repair. I would really like to see something with a eye-bolt screw or clicking height adjustment. Other than those minor thing I have zero complaints, the canvas is top notch, the sleeping area is voluminous, the windows are and doors are nicely sized and fit/finish are excellent.

We got a chance to take it on some varying off-road terrain. We took it through some of the incredible high speed roads in the southern Swell as well as up Onion Creek and the middle portion of the Kokopelli Trail. The trailer tracks marvelously off road, staying very close to the vehicles tracks. The width is nearly identical to the 100 series making it do well in rutted roads. Over rocks and bumps the trailer stays very flat and does not bounce around, it's a very solid suspension design. So far I'm giving it a 9/10. With the very minor changes I listed above it would be a solid 10.

01031808.jpg

75ceb1cb.jpg

07c1d330.jpg

916988a6.jpg

e9e6f4ae.jpg

Did you take any inside shots? I'd be interested to see how it compares with the shots from my KK in my signature

Did you take any inside shots? I'd be interested to see how it compares with the shots from my KK in my signature

Surprisingly I have very few interior shots. Next time I set it up I'll be sure to take a bunch and get them posted.

If you guys are liking what you are seeing, take a look at Adrenalin's facebook page and click the like button and share with your non-mudding friends.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adrenalin-Campers/278203392238835

Corbet said:
Jon, I forgot to ask you in Moab. Is there a dedicated fridge compartment somewhere in the trailer? I didn't really have time to poke around it much.

No there is not. I just checked and a National Luna Weekender 50 will not fit. The front box has 18.5" of clearance.

image-1131851424.jpg

A fridge is something I never wanted in my camper but I can see how some people would. I'd be interested to se how tall a small ARB is. I would think it would be easy to add an access hatch, either during or after construction so that a fridge could be incorporated on a flat slide.

image-1620137883.jpg
image-1131851424.jpg
image-1620137883.jpg

For me a fridge storage is a must. I can't afford the trailer anytime soon but it would be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market. I have an Engel 45 in my 80 that is fine for a weekend but beyond that it takes very careful planning. As my boy gets older and eats me out of house and home like I did my parents I'll probably need a refrigerated box truck for camping.

That is something they might consider making and option for or changing on the existing design.

similar situation in my KK. It was pre model year option for a fridge or heater. Thats why I have a 32qt engle mounted in the front storage. I also went with a propane heater rather than diesel so I would have one less thing to run out of.

Does this have a heater? Easy enough to add. It's real nice with the xtra room to set up tables inside to be nice and toasty

Why would it be a deal breaker? Look at when you really use a fridge, It's in your truck, your truck is with you at camp and on the trail. A 50+L fridge will easily hold 7-10 days of food. Adding a fridge to the trailer adds weight and complexity. If I pack well and utilize a lot of non perishables I can easily use my 50L which is 40L Fridge and 10L freezer for a solid week. I don't know of a time that I've traveled that I have not had access to a store in that time frame, even on a long "expedition" I would think you could restock along the way easily. We do a lot of repacking from the store containers to reduce space needed. Everyone camps and travels differently though and it would be incredibly easy to retrofit one to suit your needs.

The following will fit in the front box with space for a mounting solution. If anyone wants to donate one to me for test fitting and devising a mounting solution I'm game. I'm always looking for sponsors and test products. :D

This list is in no way comprehensive.

ARB 37qt
ARB 63qt

Engel 17
Engel 27
Engel 35
Engel 60 (need to double check width).

Unfortunately, even the smallest NL is too tall.

HEAT:

The Camper does not have a heater. I am looking at installing one. The unit would be installed in the middle box which is atmospherically vented, I would still add a dedicated intake/exhaust hose to further separate the two, the air hose would be routed through the same compartments that the existing water and electrical are with an outlet at the foot of the bed which is the back of the trailer. This is a project I'd like to do this fall.

With regards to the heat source, I am considering both propane and diesel. Propane omits a third fuel but diesel is incredibly efficient.

I'm trying to decide on what to get still. High Altitude performance is a primary concern, we do a lot of camping at >10k feet. Here is my list.

Propex HS2800 (Propane)
Webasto 3900 (Diesel)
Espar Airtronic 4 (Diesel)

There are several smaller varieties of all of the above but I've been told by several Kimberly owners that none of them are really sufficient for true cold weather camping with such a large tent. The Webasto and Espar have altitude adjustment but I'm not sure about the Propex. The Propex is less than half the price! I'd like to hear some input on these especially for people that use them at high altitude. Again heat isn't something everyone will be interested in so I agree that it is something better left to the owner to decide on later.

Last edited:
I have a Waeco 50L in the LC and a Waeco 35L in the KK. The only time we used the Waeco in the KK was for 2+ week forays when we didn't want to rely on food re-supply out in the boonies; 2 people; YMMV.

It was nice to have the smaller Waeco in the KK's nose box stocked full of quality frozen goods for cycling into the LC unit as necessary.

The disadvantage of having the only fridge located in the trailer is when you have the trailer set up as a base camp...like I did a couple years ago on a 10-day elk hunting trip...and want to use the fridge in the LC/? during the day when out and about sans trailer in tow.

I was able to follow Jon on the Onion Creek trail/road and the Adrenalin, much to my surprise since I've directly experienced negative performance with air suspension on a previous trailer (AT Horizon), and witnessed unflappable tracking.

Jon's Adrenalin trailer's suspension was impressive while he pulled it up, over and around undulating terrain along with stretches of washboard, sand, stream crossings etc. It is on par with my Kimberley Kamper Sports RV's suspension. Time will tell how well the air bags hold up to the gravel/rock spray they get subjected to from the tow rig. I prefer steel coils...and find it curiously interesting the Adrenalin's AU trailer utilizes steel coils similar to the Kimberley Kamper/Karavan line-up. Not sure why they deviated for the North American market.

The Adrenalin is lacking a few amenities and/or details compared to the KK. For starters the rear canvas area, per 24HOURSOFNEVADA's comments above, provide extended useable space near the ceiling height. The KK also features a more robust frame along with double hot dip galvanized chassis. But given the price point difference and the fact the builder is actively seeking critical reviews and/or input it has potential.

The KK's can accept a 33" tall tire. I have more ground clearance than the Adrenalin. It does not appear the Adrenalin will accept 33" tires. I have found the additional ground clearance to be valuable on many of our western USA trails when, particularly, going through/over trail dips and/or break-overs.

This isn't a deal breaker by any means but I would add some type of adjustable legs for the floor when in the "opened" mode; I like and use the 4 on my KK at every outing. The stresses have to be significant with the floor cantilevered from the main body of the trailer without support...

Although I haven't used the propane heater I can vouch for the extremely economical performance of the Webasto 2000 diesel catalytic heater. My only bitch with this heater: The smaller Webasto (and Espar) units do not offer altitude correction/adjustment. Their larger brethren not only are better suited for use in mountain states but also feature altitude compensation up to around 9,000-10,000 feet. With just a thin wall of canvas between howling winds and frigid temps you will want more BTU output than either the smaller Webasto or Espar's offer; I will someday upgrade mine to a larger output Webasto or Espar unit that also features better output at the elevations I tend to camp. Those that live at/near sea level and will only find themselves camping in 40-ish degree (F) temps need not worry though. A gallon of diesel lasts me a couple weeks of non-stop use.

Quite honestly: If the Adrenalin was close to or equal to the price of a KK Sports RV I would hands down prefer the KK. But with its significant price advantage the Adrenalin offers an interesting value package for those of us in North America.

After sitting on an advisory/steering committee for one well known trailer company to not see intro of a clam-shell type trailer in the NA market...it is refreshing and exciting to see state-side production of this style of clam-shell off-road capable trailer!

Can't wait to watch how the Adrenalin project progresses; it certainly has potential!

Last edited:
I think you guys are lucky over there, I'm looking at buying one over here and they're $27,000 without air bags. I was hoping to get the air bag setup as i have them on my 80 but they can't tell me when or if they will be available. I looked at them 2 weeks ago at a caravan and camping show here in Sydney and they were one of the best set up units at the show, and there were plenty there.

^^^ waaat? Are we talking about the same trailer?

Jon, look at my thread and install. I used the HS2000 and have used it twice on cold nights at altitude and it works great and warms the whole tent with no issues. Not sure if you have the box like I do where I installed it

^^^ waaat? Are we talking about the same trailer?

Unfortunately yes, it is exactly the same minus the air bags, i'm always jealous when i see the price you guys pay for your parts etc. My mate and i both want to upgrade our current soft floor trailers and the Adrenalin Rush are about the best value for money over here even at that price. Some hard floor campers here are $40,000 plus. It might be worth investigating the cost of buying them from the States and shipping them over.:idea:

Ok I need an edumacation on Aussie/American economy. My understanding is that the Au dollar is worth ~$1.05 US. So a $10,000 product would cost $10,500 over here. Add shipping, customs etc for a large product and you soon get to 15,000. Your math does not make sense to me. Please explain. Maybe our dollar goes farther now because of the recession? Maybe some normal house hold products will help for comparison?

Milk: $2.85/gal
Gas: 3.79/gal
Movie ticket: $9
US median income $26,364
US median household income $51,413
Starbucks venti Carmel machiato. $4.50

The whole point of making these to the US was that they were incredibly expensive to import one. Like $25k expensive.

Thanks Mate!

Oh and Dan, a 33" tire can be fitted. I plan on doing it in the near future. :D

Last edited:
FYI, Ric has two complete expo trailers
Available may 18th at an introductory price of $16,000. These will go quick so call if interested.

Quite honestly: If the Adrenalin was close to or equal to the price of a KK Sports RV I would hands down prefer the KK. But with its significant price advantage the Adrenalin offers an interesting value package for those of us in North America.

After sitting on an advisory/steering committee for one well known trailer company to not see intro of a clam-shell type trailer in the NA market...it is refreshing and exciting to see state-side production of this style of clam-shell off-road capable trailer!

Can't wait to watch how the Adrenalin project progresses; it certainly has potential!

Agreed on all points. I am very fortunate to have a KK but if I didn't I'd be a player for this one.

There you go from the two Dan's, I think their comments say a lot.

On a different note, shows you how worthless our dollar is. I remember when the Aussie dollar was valued well below our own and it wasn't that long ago.

Ok I need an edumacation on Aussie/American economy. My understanding is that the Au dollar is worth ~$1.05 US. So a $10,000 product would cost $10,500 over here. Add shipping, customs etc for a large product and you soon get to 15,000. Your math does not make sense to me. Please explain. Maybe our dollar goes farther now because of the recession? Maybe some normal house hold products will help for comparison?

Milk: $2:85/gal
Gas: 2:79/gal
Movie ticket: $9
US median income $26,364
US median household income $51,413
Starbucks venti Carmel machiato. $4:50

The whole point of making these to the US was that they were incredibly expensive to import one. Like $25k expensive.

Thanks Mate!

Milk: $3.29 Per 2litre Pre discount war now $2.00 per 2litre
Gas: $150 per litre average.
Movie tickets: $13
Aus median income $42,000
Aus median household median income $67,000
Starbucks venti carmel machinato $4.25 large ( according to the mrs ).
I wont go ita a rant but we generaly get pumped with prices on everything. Aldi and now Costco are now causing prices to fall in supermarkets, hopefully a bit more competition will help. But with a population of less than 23,000,000 i suppose you have to expect to pay a premium.

Back to the trailer issue, i would be looking at importing 2 from the states and after a bit of preliminary investigation i think it would be worthwile and i'm sure the quality of the trailer including canvas would be on a par with the trailers here, as i said earlier they are one of the best units for their price over here.
I'm also not worried about housing a fridge on the trailer as i think they are much better off in the vehicle.

Cheers

Cool trailer!

How much does it weigh? May have missed it in your write up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom