New addition I stumbled upon: 85 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I had been thinking that I wanted another older truck but I don't have a garage currently so I figured I would look around and wait awhile. One of my technicians sends me a text that his dad wants to sell his old 4Runner for down payment money (he's buying a new Tundra.) "What year?" I say. "85" he says. "I'll take it." I say. And the next day this beautiful high mileage beast rolls up to the lot. I'm not going to say what I paid for it but let's just say it was a steal. These things are so hard to find I would have paid him a lot more if he had asked.

So, it runs and drives. It has current tags. It has 357,XXX some odd miles. No big deal for a truck like this.

Plans???? That's a tough question. As of now I am just going to go through everything to make sure it's safe and road worthy. (Brakes feel super spongy and pedal is low for example. Needs tires...)

So, it will definitely get a lift and some wheels/tires. Probably a 33 or 35 depending how much lift I go with. It's going to need some serious help in a lot of areas. Everything is leaking. And I mean everything. It's to the point that it might just get a whole engine rebuild because I am virtually going to have to change every seal on the engine. Plus with that many miles I'm sure it could use a refresh. The front axle looks like it's in really rough shape. Probably will get a full rebuild in that area as well. Rear tires are chirping when turning sharply so I don't know if it has a welded diff, locker, LSD, or just a busted diff?? Interior is surprisingly in decent shape. Back seat looks pretty dang good. Floors look ok. Dash only has one crack. The shifter boots are trashed. The drivers seat is, um, well worn in. I'll keep an eye on junkyards probably for some suitable front replacements.

This truck is going to serve as a weekend driver and backup duty for camping and some light wheeling. I actually want to keep it as street-worthy as possible.

Oh yeah pictures.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice! I've been looking for an 85 for quite some time, haven't stumbled upon one yet! Looks like you got a good starter!

We're going to bring it into the shop tomorrow. I'll take some more then. Including all the needed repairs.

Haven't gotten into it yet but the brake issue and the tire chirping are related and coming from the right rear wheel. Possibly a busted wheel cylinder. Also, the truck sometimes doesn't want to start which we determined is the sub-par battery cables. Will sort that out today hopefully. Also, the back window doesn't work. The panel has been pulled off from the inside so I assume the PO was messing with it already. I seem to remember there being a pretty handy diag and repair guide here for the rear window so I will check that out. Obviously it needs to work since you can't open the tailgate with it up.

Edit: Also the shifter feels very sloppy. The bushing that goes at the base of the shifter is probably disintegrated. Common issue on pretty much all old Toyota manual trans vehicles.

Well in terms of brakes, it has no brakes. Front pads, rear shoes, rear wheel cylinders, master cylinder... We're replacing it all.

Also determined that the rear diff is probably welded.

Also coolant situation is not great.

Leaks are, uh, well everything is leaking.

Fixed the starting issue (corrosion on positive cable).

Ya know ... I know it's an 85 and all, but I hope you picked it up cheap. You are going to spend a fortune in time and money to get this truck in an acceptable condition. I kept looking at your pics and thinking about running out and taking pictures of mine to compare. Mine would be pristine compared to this one.

I got it cheaply enough that I could probably do the engine, brakes, axles, Etc and still spend less than buying a "nice" one.

But yeah I could have bought a much nicer one.

I was thinking about @pappy's point about the truck being in rough shape on the way in this morning. And while that is very true, for me a lot of the fun of owning the truck is the rebuilding process. I know this truck is never going to be a show truck. It's never going to have a pristine paint job. It is just going to be a fun project tackle and I enjoy the process. I know I will end up dumping a lot of money into it that I won't get back and I'm OK with that.

Some of you may remember my last truck that I built started with a $450 craiglist find. It was in WAY worse condition than this one.

1980 Longbed Pickup Build - Epically Slow Style

When I bought it:

IMAG0317.jpg

When I sold it:

980968_580886121985370_1037939707_o.jpg

1400287_10153440996145212_691878715_o.jpg

On the rear window issue, make sure all the bolts that hold the top on are in. Drivers side, I thin 4th or 5th bolt from the back trips a safety that keeps the window from operating with the top off.

Thanks for the heads up @jynx. I will check that when I get a chance. Right now we are waiting on back ordered brake parts. Once we get that sorted out so it can be driven I am going to make sure that it's safe to drive. After that I will start digging into all the other issues.

I was looking at wheel options and after conferring with a few people about using stock wheels and needing spacers/etc I think I will probably just order wheels like I did last time. I also think I am going to buy a bolt on lift which will probably be Ironman because their foam cell shocks are so super sweet.

After some email digging I found my original order for the wheels on my last mini. I even got the part number and everything. I don't think I will put a 17 on there though. Probably a 15 or 16.

(Putting this here for future reference.)
PCW-52-7983R2-5 WHEEL 17X9/6X5.5/2.5BS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom