New 80 series from Wyoming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I am a complete Cruiser newb, Jeep convert. I have had a couple Jeeps, but we found ourselves needing something more practical. That is where my first Toyota comes in, a 2007 DCSB Tacoma. I bought the Taco with the hopes of building an all around daily driver and weekend warrior.

DSC_1124.jpg by Justin Freeman, on Flickr

As much as I love the Tacoma, I have been looking for something a little older I can build as more of a "toy." I mainly was looking for a CJ7, but BoxRocket's 80 series build kept catching my eye. Last week a pretty nice looking 91' fj80 popped up on Craiglist 10 minuts away for $800, so I talked my wife into going to take a look. It turns out the 80 was owned by one of her fellow teachers family, her husband's parents have owned it since new, until giving it to their granddaughter to drive. I was told the rear main blew out a mile from the house, apparently as strong as the 3fe is it doesn't last long with no oil. :doh:
Long story short, I am the the proud new owner of my first Cruiser. I havent got it home yet, he is going to help me haul it home this next weekend after some snow melts. I only have one pic of it for now(crappy cell pic), but more to follow. I will probably try and find another 3fe to swap in till I decide what direction I want to go with the build.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg by Justin Freeman, on Flickr

And just because I miss it, a Jeep pic.

DSC_0753.jpg by Justin Freeman, on Flickr

Nice!!! Congratulations

Welcome to the money pit, I mean Cruiser life.

Put some oil in it and it will probably still run. It's a Landcruiser!!!

Does the motor turn over? If so, why not fill it with oil and see what it does. As long as you are going to replace the motor, may as well give it a try.

If you need a motor, try Yoda Jims Used Trucks in Denver Parts. Jims Used Toyota Truck Parts
He is starting to buy Land Cruisers, I think there are a couple 3fe motors there. He will let you hear it run but bring your core as
he charges a core for motors. He has some Tundra 5.7 motor real cheap if you want to try a engine swap.

Good job on the 80. I tried to call on it, but you had beat me to the punch. You might get lucky and find the motor isn't that bad off. If you don't mind let us know how it goes once you have it in hand.
Cheers,
Scot

X3 on trying to start it. Dump in 8 qts of 15w-40 (Rotella) and fire it up. See what happens. What's the worst thing that can happen?

It does turn over, but the way he talked it had a pretty bad knock. They hauled it back to the house, so there's a chance it didn't get to messed up. When I get it home I will probably pull the pan and see how bad everything looks. If these are as tough as everyone makes it seem I may be able to throw a set of bearings in it and see how it goes. :eek:

Good job on the 80. I tried to call on it, but you had beat me to the punch. You might get lucky and find the motor isn't that bad off. If you don't mind let us know how it goes once you have it in hand.
Cheers,
Scot

He said he had tons of interest in it. I almost passed it up to let it go to someone with more knowledge, but he made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Congrats on the new rig. What part of the state are you in?

The 3FE came standard with a knock from the factory. They sound like the illegitimate offspring of a tractor and a sewing machine. I've had my 92 with the 3FE since new. Somewhere around 95-96 I had the first "mechanic" tell me I had a "knock". That was about 200k miles ago.

As for the rear main seal blowing out, that is an often misdiagnosed issue. Rear main seals don't typically "blow out". I'd dump 8 qts of 15w-40 in and crank it over. And listen. That would be what I would do.

Maybe @jonheld can chime in on this one. He knows more about the 3FE than anyone.

Congrats on the new rig. What part of the state are you in?

I am in Glenrock.

The 3FE came standard with a knock from the factory. They sound like the illegitimate offspring of a tractor and a sewing machine. I've had my 92 with the 3FE since new. Somewhere around 95-96 I had the first "mechanic" tell me I had a "knock". That was about 200k miles ago.

As for the rear main seal blowing out, that is an often misdiagnosed issue. Rear main seals don't typically "blow out". I'd dump 8 qts of 15w-40 in and crank it over. And listen. That would be what I would do.

Maybe @jonheld can chime in on this one. He knows more about the 3FE than anyone.

I kinda had the same thoughts, I wondered if it could be the oil galley plug? I will for sure give that a shot though, like you said what's the worst that can happen.

If it is the oil galley plug there will be oil EVERYWHERE under the hood on the right side. I've never seen it in person but that is what I've heard. It would look like a murder scene.

I've heard of very few actual instances of the oil galley plug coming out.

The guy I bought my 80 from said the oil galley plug came out while he was driving in town once. Stopped at a red light and noticed an enormous pool of oil in the rear view when the light turned green. All it took to fix was a new oil galley plug and 8 quarts of oil (had it been mine at the time it would have been tapped and had a screw put in its place). It must have been impressive because after that he always carried a spare plug in the ash tray.

Very cool bud $800 is a steal , my '92 is even the same color. Love the 3FE motor, very easy to work on and very small list of common problems. Give it some TLC and it'll purr like a gasoline-thirsty kitten.

Welcome to Mud and congrats on your great find and purchase. You'll have plenty of support on the forum to help you troubleshoot and fix your Cruiser.

Thanks guys. I am excited to get it home and get a little better idea of what might be wrong. It looks like my Bantam trailer project might get kicked out of the garage for a while.

And just so this is on the first page and since it has been overlooked: F&$% Heeps! It's about time you came to your senses! :flipoff2:

Welcome to the addiction. Don't see many 80's in Glenrock. I used to run my company out of Glenrock and have spent many an evening at the Higgins. If you've spent anytime there I'm sure we've rubbed elbows at the bar.

Welcome to the addiction. Don't see many 80's in Glenrock. I used to run my company out of Glenrock and have spent many an evening at the Higgins. If you've spent anytime there I'm sure we've rubbed elbows at the bar.

I've spent an evening or two down there . :beer: What kind of business did you run out of Glenrock if you don't mind me asking, not many businesses actually in town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom