Nervous Man's Engine and Tranny swap: sbc350 and sm465 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I actually finished more or less. I just got stuck in the trap of needing to get my house remodeled for sale and then moving so I didn't catch up the thread yet. I will see if I can find the pictures and get the thread caught up to the cruiser.

With the annoying and expensive exhaust manifold problem out of the way, it was time to turn to the next big thing. Transfer case mount time. I have heard so many bad things about the AA mount, I didn't want to use that. Plus I thought it would be cool to try designing my own. I like the idea I came up with, but I have no idea how it will end up working out.

I used a polyurethane bushing because I couldn't find anything else and because I read some reviews about the rubber ones coming apart too easy. The internet told me that it was a bad idea to mix rubber motor mounts with a poly transfer mount, but I am glad that I did because the poly one seems to flex easy enough.

I don't have any pictures of the fabrication process because the memory card in my phone crapped out about this time and I had no camera for two weeks so you will have to be content with the finished product pictures. I used the old cover to trace out the shape and holes and then cut it out using a jig saw and grinder.

I was up in the air about what to use for the mount attachment between angle iron and square tube. The forces in my head assured me the square tube would direct the stress forces better, so that is what I went with. I think I used a receiver tube for a trailer, but I can't remember if it was the female or male tube part. The holes in the top are unnecessary, but I thought they would look cool and allowed me to use a socket on the bolts instead of having to use a wrench from the opening in the side.

For the bar that attaches the mount to the frame I went with 1" by 2" by 1/8" thick tube. I tried that, 1" tube, and solid stock and the 1 x 2 was the most rigid.
View attachment 825435View attachment 825436View attachment 825437View attachment 825438

Hello saryon7, I was looking at your swap, great job. I'm doing the same and I have an Orion I'm installing. How is your crossmember mount holding up? Since I won't be using the AA mount, I'm curious to know if you have encountered any problems, or is there anything you would do different. Again, great job on the swap.

Hello saryon7, I was looking at your swap, great job. I'm doing the same and I have an Orion I'm installing. How is your crossmember mount holding up? Since I won't be using the AA mount, I'm curious to know if you have encountered any problems, or is there anything you would do different. Again, great job on the swap.

It has been holding up great. No signs of anything gone awry. I will say I haven't put a ton of miles on it yet, but so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom