Need some HEI measurements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ARC

Threads
I ground off the flange on the GM dist. (and used the same hole in the GM shaft just switched the gears;) originally used a piece of pipe and original hold down. But decided I didn't like that and bought a collet and chevy hold down. Thought I marked the shaft good before I removed the old hold down but now when I reinstall it ; its off my mark I put on the engine so I didn't have to re-time. Think I don't have the collet the proper distance from end of shaft.
1) So I need to find some measurements from the end of shaft; to the gear and to the bottom(the part that actually sits on the block) of the collet (holddown)?
2) Also I've read about the pump pulling the shaft down if its
not seated all the way. If I just seat the shaft all the way
will the gear lineup? If so I could just seat the shaft all
the way down then move my collet down and tighten it up; but if the gear doesn't line up this is no good. Don't think
the shaft was all the way down to start with because the
new position allows it to set down further in the block which
is what is throwing it off my timing mark.

thanks for your help
David

I just did this about 2 weeks ago and all I did was make sure the bottom of the diz shaft was fully engaged into the oil pump. I did the plastic pipe "bushing" and used the Toyo hold down. But the way the hold down is made, I put a thick washer under the hold down screw to allow the clamp to grip the bushing. In otherwords the hold down clamp is riding a washer thickness above the block and the bushing flush with the block. The gear locations on both shafts are identical, so as long as you are bottomed out into the oil pump, you should be ok. &nbsp:Did I answer your question? Kind of difficult to describe. I still keep a watchful eye on the oil pressure, but if it was going to take a s*** on me, I think it would have done so by now.
Good Luck,
Ed Long

I just thought of something else. The timing specs go out the window with the HEI. I had to crank the engine to get the diz to seat in the oil pump, well, not really. I hadn't taken enough off the diz housing and it was hanging up. If you try to seat it and it won't go pull it back out and look for shiney spots on the aluminum housing, use a hand file to take them off, I puckered up with the bench grinder and finished it off with a file. Anyway, my reference was lost as soon as I turned the motor over. So you pull the #1 plug and stick you finger in there to make a seal, crank the motor and you'll know when you hit TDC on #1. Noting where the rotor was, I tightened the thing up and put my wires on. Cranked it up and it started, took it for a drive and no power in the 1800+rpm range, advanced, another spin, etc etc until you get the performance you want. Then shut the thing off and try to start it. If it bucks, you're too advanced, so retard it a little. Play with it until you get it where you feel good about it, THEN put the timing light on it and now you have a reference.
Is that clear as mud??
The cocktail hour has started here in the Midwest, so if I have confused you , I'll try to make it more understandable.
Good Luck,
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom