Need new 2f cam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have a 1975 2f. Having some backfiring issues in my text seems to think my camshaft is pretty worn and warrants replacement. I've done some searching around but it seems like a lot of the threads are at least seven or eight years old. What are some good options and relative costs that I should be looking at for a camshaft replacement? Also are there any other parts I should replace at the same time? Thanks ahead of time!

I did manage to find a relatively inexpensive option at rockauto.com from some older threads. I guess my other question then is what else do I need to buy at the same time?

You might as well pull it totally out and rebuild the whole engine ... Pulling just the cam for something that may or may not fix your problem is a lot of work ... You might as well just do everything incase it's the rings or the valves

Had you done a compression check on it?

What's the vacuum like?

Had the points and timing been set correctly?

I sent mine to Delta Cam in Washington state, they can help you out if that is all you are in need of. You will need to send the lifters also, they go hand in hand.

new cam=new lifters.

I also agree with some of the above posts, there is likely a bigger problem other than just your cam......................

I've been wrenching on cruisers for 30 years and have never equated backfiring with a camshaft. Burned/stuck valves, ignition timing, cam gear...but not the cam itself.

Maybe you need a new text!

Last edited:
Has anybody looked into the possibility of having a cam and roller lifters made that will work in a 2F? Or would that just be significant turd polishing?

Has anybody looked into the possibility of having a cam and roller lifters made that will work in a 2F? Or would that just be significant turd polishing?

Passive oiling+roller lifters=oxymoron IMO.

Thx for the info guys. Aside from lifters, will I need any particular gaskets etc?

There is a thread on here about installing a roller cam and lifters on a 2F and it did win a turd polishing award. Search.

Last edited:
If you're dead-set on replacing the Camshaft, the Melling MC803 is a better choice (American-made) vs the China-made ITM. But you might want to re-read 65swb45's first post before spending any money.

As far as gaskets go, you're gonna need everything for the front as that all has to come off, and prolly a side-cover gasket.

Guys, thanks for the info. I directed my tech here and he agreed with your thoughts... I cancelled my rockauto order, and he will do a leakdown and compression test. Motor only Has maybe 70k on a rebuild. Smokes a little, no oil usage that I've noticed. Plenty of power.

Ill keep you Guys updated

Update.

90 psi across all cylinders, 30pct leakdown iirc.

Further update guys..

Tech also felt definitely an electrical component, so had me replace my crane xr700 electronic ignition with a new unit...

No more backfiring

Further update guys..

Tech also felt definitely an electrical component, so had me replace my crane xr700 electronic ignition with a new unit...

No more backfiring

Awesome!
Please clarify, new crane xr700 electric ign. Or original stock unit? Nos /unobtanium? Dui? Hei?
Thanks!

All fixed up...good as new. :steer:

just replaced the XR700 with a new XR700, ordered from SOR. $110-ish. I'll never go back to points.

I also relocated the XR700 to the glove box, hoping to protect it from vibration and heat and moisture. I drilled a 1/2" hole, and used two rubber grommets to cushion the wires through the firewall. I used 4 small rubber grommets to cushion the bottom of the XR700 module inside the glove box. That way, I can ALSO open the glove box and make sure the red indicator light is lit up if there is a starting issue. One less spot to trouble shoot from the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom