Need Help w/ Ignition Electrical: Ign Switch, Ign Coil, Starter, & Dist EZ Wiring Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up guys!

I'm gonna get straight to the point in this post!

Goal: Complete the ignition wiring circuit so that I can start the motor.

Dilemma: Diagrams don't look the same. Need to decide which one to go with and need to find where the ign switch start wire (purple wire) goes on the starter.

Sidenote: I have not removed the old wiring harness yet so just ignore old looking wires and focus on the bright purple and pink ones! ;)

So here's what I've got and this is an overhead shot of the ign coil with the starter and dist in view...

IMG_7909_zpso6al8yyo.jpg

I apologise for the orientation...:( the next pics look better btw lol

So you can see the ign coil at the top, starter in the middle towards the bottom with the pink wire connected to it. I do not yet have the purple wire connected because idk where it goes...

I am using an EZ wiring 21 circuit harness.

My references are the 1965 FJ40 Wiring Diagram and the EZ wiring harness diagram. (pics below)

Here is the '65 FJ original electrical diagram. I have some of the main electrical and parts highlighted.
IMG_7914_zps1yvaqgy6.jpg

This is the EZ diagram for ignition. (Yes I realize this is for GM vehicles...)

IMG_7913_zps3rbsmmvj.jpg

The big difference betweent the two is that the GM version shows the use of a Ballast Resistor while the FJ version does not.

I have a brand new ign coil and I'm not sure if it requires a Ballast Resistor...would a ballast resistor harm an ign coil that does not require a ballast resistor?

So here is a picture of how I have it wired up currently. The way it is wired right now is representative of the GM diagram.

On the right side of the ballast resistor is the ign pos wire which is running directly from the ign switch.

I have another wire running from the Positive of the ign coil to the left of the ballast resistor as the GM diagram dictates.

From here, it runs from the left of the ballast resistor to the R side of the starter as the GM diagram dictates.

BTW what do the R and S letters on the starter stand for? I'm assuming Resistor and Start.....right? That would be convenient lol.

IMG_7908_zpskwarlol1.jpg

As I said, from the left of the ballast resistor, the pink wire runs to the R side of the starter as seen
below.

Here's a close up on the pink wire from the left side of the resistor to the R side of the starter.

IMG_7922_zpskx1imtbc.jpg

Here you can see how I've got it attached...

IMG_7910_zpsegbsdtpm.jpg

I'm not sure if that's the right way to connect that setup but it fits perfectly...using one of these little blue connectors as seen below:

IMG_7919_zpspn7haii1.jpg

This image is just to show you where the pink whire is coming from...the left of the resistor to (what I'm pretty sure is) the R side of the starter....

IMG_7929_zps4qzgodhc.jpg

SO, if all of that is wired up correctly, then all I really need to figure out is where to put that purple ign switch start wire!

As I said, that purple wire runs straight from the ign switch. If that S on the starter does stand for "Start" then I believe that would mean I need to connect the purple ign switch start wire directly to that green wire on the S side of the starter like this...

FullSizeRender%2010_zpspih6lwxa.jpg

So let's say I do that. Then we can check that off the list and we're done. Right?!

I sure hope so! I would love any and all advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom