Need help looking at an 80. Willing to pay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I'm looking at picking up an 80 from a mud member who passed away a couple years back. His widow is selling it right now. I don't have the ability to just cruise over and take a look but I have a bunch of 80 series specific questions I want to ask. She knows very little about what Chris her husband did with it. His build thread is somewhat in depth but there are quite a few things that aren't covered in his build thread. I don't feel comfortable bugging his widow and asking a bunch of annoying questions that she then has to get help in finding the answers. She has been through enough and I want this purchase to be as smooth as possible for her. I'm not going to dicker with her asking price and I don't want to bother her with questions. I need someone willing to take a look at it and answer question over the phone while you are standing right in front of it. I will pay for your time. The cruiser is in Lansing, Michigan. I would really appreciate some help. Her and her deceased husband are veterans who served in Iraq and deserve our utmost respect. If you can help shoot me a PM/start a conversation or an email bradrh22@gmail.com I probably wont check this thread much so pm or email is best.

Last edited:
So I just spent the last hour talking with Chris' widow about the 80. I think I want to buy it but I REALLY need someone to come take a look. You don't even need you to know 80 series in detail. As long as you know what driveshafts, birfs, t-case, and some other common things are then your good. I can walk you through what I need to know. How about $100 for giving me 20 minutes of your time. I will even cover your gas on top of that. I REALLY need a bit of help here. Name is Brad (909) 238-3333.

So no takers?

Hey man - Im in Traverse City but get to Lansing from time to time. I will be down there 6/29 and would be glad to help you out if you can’t find anyone before then. Let me know.
I just got an email from a Michael in Lansing from this site and he said he can probably go look at it on Saturday. I'm working on the details now. If he isn't able to check it out, then I will let you know. Thanks for being willing to help.

Michael I can't thank you enough for the time you spent tonight going over Catherine's cruiser with me. I really appreciated your attention to detail and your skills with clearly articulating exactly what you were seeing. It gave me a great idea on exactly what I purchased. Gave me a great peace of mind.

I just got back from wheeling in MO. I'm glad you found someone to take a look at it for you.

You should know that MI rust is a far different animal than SoCal rust. Hopefully, you don't have any surprises when bolts would rather break off than come out.

I just got back from wheeling in MO. I'm glad you found someone to take a look at it for you.

You should know that MI rust is a far different animal than SoCal rust. Hopefully, you don't have any surprises when bolts would rather break off than come out.
No rust. It's a Florida and Montana truck. Just moved to Michigan less than a year ago. The rust has not started yet. The little surface rust that is present will be removed and the underside will get coated.

Brad,

I'm pleased to be able to help out.

Regarding rust and Toyota's... it's great to see this 80 is getting out of Michigan before the snow flies and the salt hits the road again.
it's a very clean looking frame and without undercoating it is clear to see it's not a Michigan vehicle!

This was a great experience too... Catherine and I were able to chat about the military (I was in the USAF about 10 years before she and Chris ;?)

The delay in response from the forum I'll attribute to Father's Day and the rest of the Michigan members must work too much... we'll have to get out more.

Attached is a quick pic we took of your new 80 and my old 100.

Chris did some nice work on that 80... Enjoy it!

Michael

IMG_2891.jpg

Hey @bhicks, I just saw this thread for the first time. I've been on mud for a few years but i still don't navigate on it really well. Anyway, just wanted to say i hope your 80 is working out well and glad @MichLC was there to help you. Your products jave been great and I am sorry I wasn't catching this thread to help you with checking it out, I'm about an hour from Lansing.

Take care,

Patrick

Hey @bhicks, I just saw this thread for the first time. I've been on mud for a few years but i still don't navigate on it really well. Anyway, just wanted to say i hope your 80 is working out well and glad @MichLC was there to help you. Your products jave been great and I am sorry I wasn't catching this thread to help you with checking it out, I'm about an hour from Lansing.

Take care,

Patrick
It all worked out great. Been wrenching on the 80 non stop trying to get all the projects done that Chris started. I got the interior all back together, all the surface rust removed and sealed, new 35's installed, and a bunch of other small things. I still need to fix the stereo, get it smogged and registered, and a couple other small things. Should be ready for wheelin and camping in the next few weeks.

It all worked out great. Been wrenching on the 80 non stop trying to get all the projects done that Chris started. I got the interior all back together, all the surface rust removed and sealed, new 35's installed, and a bunch of other small things. I still need to fix the stereo, get it smogged and registered, and a couple other small things. Should be ready for wheelin and camping in the next few weeks.
Good to hear. Funny to find a rust free truck here and haul it back west, but it does happen.
When I was in CO a week ago, a 40 came up for sale on the Grand Rapids MI (my area) Craigslist that was a parked western rust free truck (lots of cool patina but no rust) guy didn't know what he had and it was gone in a day for $3500! Guess i picked the wrong time to be away.

Take care and happy wheeling,

Patrick

Looking forward to seeing some pics! Glad you were able to get it safely to the left coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom