Need help identifying sensors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, like the title says I need some help identifying sensors that go in the side of the head the motor came out of a 96 land cruiser 80 US model

image-2594517962.jpg

image-1899553095.jpg

image-2594517962.jpg

image-1899553095.jpg

Knock?

There are 4 sensors in this photo, all inline.

Sensor 1 (leftmost) is front knock sensor. Only one cable goes from it. Sensor 4 (rightmost) is back knock sensor. Also needs one cable.

Both middle sensors are yet to be determined by someone else. I suspect the temp sensor is one of them.
Sensor 1 is NOT the knock sensor, but the ECT (engine coolant temperature) Sender gauge. The knock sensor is not in the picture. It is located above & to the right of the oil filter, looking at it from the drivers side of the engine bay. Sensors left to right: ECT sender gauge, ECT Cut switch, ECT sensor.

There are 4 sensors in this photo, all inline.

Sensor 1 (leftmost) is front knock sensor. Only one cable goes from it. Sensor 4 (rightmost) is back knock sensor. Also needs one cable.

Both middle sensors are yet to be determined by someone else. I suspect the temp sensor is one of them.
Sensor 1 is NOT the knock sensor, but the ECT (engine coolant temperature) Sender gauge. The knock sensor is not in the picture. It is located above & to the right of the oil filter, looking at it from the drivers side of the engine bay. Sensors left to right: ECT sender gauge, ECT Cut switch, ECT sensor.

Knock sensor 1 would be behind where the 3 wires of the first three sensors converge in pict 2. Knock sensor 2 would be at same level to knock sensor 1 but at the back of the block/by the PHH....not too fun to get to.

What does the ECT cut switch do? I get the sender feeds the dash and the ECT that feeds the ECU variable resistance to help decide how much fuel to use.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! According to my scangauge I am having an intermittent fluctuation in temperature ? Wires the sensor directly to ECU, tried different ECT sensors...sometimes even the speedo needle bounces with the fluctuation...any pointers ? Thanks in advance

What does the ECT cut switch do? I get the sender feeds the dash and the ECT that feeds the ECU variable resistance to help decide how much fuel to use.

Thanks in advance!
My understanding is that it cuts off the A/C compressor when coolant temps are too high (I believe around 226 degrees F).

My understanding is that it cuts off the A/C compressor when coolant temps are too high (I believe around 226 degrees F).

^^^^^ 👍

Correct.

Disables the A/C compressor to prevent further thermal strain on the engine/cooling system. It (compressor) will kick back on automatically when temps recede to approx. 216°F

^^^^^ 👍

Correct.

Disables the A/C compressor to prevent further thermal strain on the engine/cooling system. It (compressor) will kick back on automatically when temps recede to approx. 216°F

In addition the thermostat is fully open at 190 F. This means that Toyota considers anything under 216 is fine, 216-226 is a threat and +226 is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom