Need help! Front disc brake conversion parts needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am looking for parts to do a front disc brake conversion for my Jan 1971 build fj40. I have been looking for months with no success. Any help or leads would be appreciated. I tried all the ideas from last months meeting.

Mart

I am in contact with George. He is trying to put something together. $$ are important also. I found some solutions in the $2500 to $6000 range, that is more than I need to spend for the type of wheeling I will do. I have ordered a rear setup from Poser. I'm also looking at buying a mini pickup to part out, but I have too many parts at my house now from my projects.

George from Orangefj45 came thru for me. He has fj60 parts setup for me and I'll be picking it up this week or next.

Now I'm going to need help and advice to take mine apart and put the new in. I can do the work, but setting up birfields is very foreign for me. I do supply beer and pizza.

I am getting the rear setup from Poser. While I have the rear axles pulled back I want to install an Aussie locker. Direction for that would also be appreciated.

Mart

Assuming you are getting ALL the parts from the knuckle out, it goes pretty well. The only pitfall is the height of the opening of the knuckle ball. It is likely the birfield will not slide in easily and you'll need to grind the top and bottom lip just a bit to allow it to slide in.

Regarding the "set up" you don't set up the birfields as much as you set up the knuckle. There is an expensive factory tool for that, or you can get close with 1 thick and 1 thin shim top and bottom is usually close.

You will need to swap the 40 inner axles into the FJ60 birfields.

You will need a new master cylinder too, so include that in your plans.

Not a huge fan of aussie/lockrite/lokka type lockers. Ask @chicago about them.

I don't plan on doing very heavy duty 4wheeling and ARB is out of dollar range now. Having some sort of locker seems like a good idea. Chigago's wheeling is out of my range. If I did his type of wheeling I wouldn't consider a lunch box locker either. I just want a little extra now.
The question for me now is a lunchbox locker (rear) or nothing.

How hard are you planning to wheel? That should decide the lock or not to lock or ARB in future or auto lock now question.

Whatever you choose count me in for the install!
I no experience with what you need to do but I'm noob to wrenching, closest thing I have done is rebuilding the font axle on my 80.

I don't plan on doing very heavy duty 4wheeling and ARB is out of dollar range now. Having some sort of locker seems like a good idea. Chigago's wheeling is out of my range. If I did his type of wheeling I wouldn't consider a lunch box locker either. I just want a little extra now.
The question for me now is a lunchbox locker (rear) or nothing.

Then you might consider nothing. Seriously you can go most places open. When you find a place you can't go, then get a locker. If you spend anytime on snow or ice, you'll be much happier open.

Regarding Chicago - he used to run a lockright until it broke off the end of his axle. That lock, unlock thing isn't healthy for 30 year old axle shafts. It is a good expedient for traction, though but carry spare axle shafts.

Justinpryor - I will take you up on your offer. You are ahead of me in fj axle knowledge.

The reason I am considering doing a lunchbox locker now is that I have to pull the axles for the rear disc brake update. I will take all opinions in consideration as to lockers or not. I don't do snow/driving with the 40. Stock it scared me a few times and I have other capable vehicles.

Hey Mart,
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I hated having drum brakes and realized that they had to go if I wanted to drive safe and could adjust them etc. So good idea. The least complicated way for the front is to put an axle from a toy. minitruck year 83 to 85. They are getting rare and so they are expensive. This gives you disc brakes and all the right splinage. The rear is easy as you a have found, and many folks make good after kits for this. About a locker? If you want one it is a nice mod. if you are off road a lot. Cruiserdrew is right it will be a pain in snow and ice-not sure if that would cause problems with axle breakage as there may have been other issues with Chicagos axle.. If you do decide to put a locker in I would recommend you have a good shop do it and have it done right. I know folks in the club have done it but to do it right it will take a lot of time and expertise. If you do it more power to ya and good luck-Those kind of jobs just scare me. Like Will rebuilding his engine-:eek:Yikes:eek:-although that seemed to have worked well for him. If you can afford to pay for it have a shop do it. There are threads on which shops are good in this area for diffs and lockers. Hope this helps. We can talk about this more at a meeting. Your offer for pizza and beer are great and I could help you with rebuilding your front axle if needed. Done it a few( :bang: ) times but my front is from a mini so may be slightly different from you cruiser knuckles. What is George suggesting?

George is selling me a Fj60 setup and that works the same as a mini truck. I don't know the differences. He is giving me everything that I will need.

Krusty, thanks for the offer of help. I can do all the work but I need expert advice. I've looked at all the diagrams of how it goes together, but there are a sh*tload of pieces and gaskets and tricks.

As to lockers, most of my 40 time is off-road, but not extreme rock crawling. In winter it's a garage queen. There have been times wheeling when one side in the rear has broken free.

After brakes I plan on doing more off-roading. My current brakes are scary. My rear brakes are leaking somewhere. I had the stock brakes serviced when I bought the 40 by Martin's shop. The brakes were a death trap before that.

Remember when you get ready to set up the knuckles the club owns the service tool. Using it will extend the life of the oil seals. If I recall correctly we were charging $20 to rent the tool which goes into the club account.

I second, or is it third? skipping the lockers until you find you need them. When/if you do decide to go lockers take a look at these
Harrop ELocker General Info / Installation Thread
They are essentially an Eton electric locker, if I built another FJ40 I'm pretty sure that is the way I would go.

I was thinking about the tool. I knew our club had it. I would like to pick it up at the next meeting.

Assuming you are getting ALL the parts from the knuckle out, it goes pretty well. The only pitfall is the height of the opening of the knuckle ball. It is likely the birfield will not slide in easily and you'll need to grind the top and bottom lip just a bit to allow it to slide in.

Regarding the "set up" you don't set up the birfields as much as you set up the knuckle. There is an expensive factory tool for that, or you can get close with 1 thick and 1 thin shim top and bottom is usually close.

You will need to swap the 40 inner axles into the FJ60 birfields.

You will need a new master cylinder too, so include that in your plans.

Not a huge fan of aussie/lockrite/lokka type lockers. Ask @chicago about them.

Hey Andy,
I just wanted to shed a little light on my issue w/ the Aussie and clear up a mis conception...it was NOT the locker!!
The housing was heat WARPED from when I installed my wrap bar bracket !
Kevin and Bill discovered this when he had THE EXACT SAME FAILURE after he had ARB's installed in the BLOTCH rig.
Apparently it was obvious w/ the housing completely empty when they looked through the tube.

Just thought I'd share that as it would seem you formed a pretty solid opinion about that type of locker after that experience.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom