Need experience comments from FJ Owners with Stock 17" steelies. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
All,

I have a set of 17x7.5 fj steel wheels and want to find a 35 inch tire that will work on the 7.5 width. I'm hoping to avoid the cupping/crowning etc that happens when you squeeze a wide tire on skinny rim.

The only true 35 I found is a swamper and not sure I want to run those. Has anyone got alternatives?

Are any of you running a wider tire than 295 70 r17? What has been your experience with these?

Currently working on a project and want to stay with these wheels.

Not many alternatives for a 35 X 10.50 X 16, I ran the SS SSR's on mine in stock width (allow) wheels. Ran through 2 sets of them (1st set had "torque cracking", warrantied 4 thru Discount Tire), balanced with airsoft pellets, no problems. I do pay closs attention to tire pressure though, drove them from NC to Moab/NM/CO twice, once pulling my exped trailer.

Agree, wishe there were more options...

I run 285/75/17 Toyo MT's on stock steelies, they come out right at 34"x11.5".

I have a local friend who runs 305-width tires; even with aftermarket upper control arms they rubbed (the control arms), so he finally went with wheel spacers. Wouldn't be my choice, but he had to have wide tires...

Largest I ran on the stock steelies was 34 x 10.5 bias ply Swamper LTBs. I found that the FJC stock steelies did not hold up very well to rocks. The rims bent very easily, would hammer back into place OK, but got kind of rumply looking after a couple years of abuse. So I went to 16" alloys.

Are you planning on running them on an FJC or on your LX? I don't have much input on how they would run on an 450/80 platform.

Largest I ran on the stock steelies was 34 x 10.5 bias ply Swamper LTBs. I found that the FJC stock steelies did not hold up very well to rocks. The rims bent very easily, would hammer back into place OK, but got kind of rumply looking after a couple years of abuse. So I went to 16" alloys.

Are you planning on running them on an FJC or on your LX? I don't have much input on how they would run on an 450/80 platform.

thanks, I'm using an 80 chassis for a project and have fj steelies - set of five. Want to consider options before I buy the rubber.

How did the swampers do? Easy to balance or difficult?

John, Greg ran 35x10.5/16 Swamper radial SSRs on his 74 for a long time. Interesting option that hadn't occurred to me.

How did the swampers do? Easy to balance or difficult?

The Swampers did balance, but the weights were ridiculous...inside and outside the rim area. Those bias plys had a lot of "character". Lumpy starts on cold mornings, but would produce a lovely wah-wah-wah-wah hum once up to temperature. They also popped off the bead in a heartbeat, if I aired down below 20psi on trails. I got really good at removing the wheel and reseating the bead while out on a trail.

The wheels fit with no issue on an 80, we run them on Heather's. I ran these steelies on my FJC with rock rings with good results. Never anything bigger than 33s though.

11062377_963267023704189_240588303081702129_n.jpg

Those rings look great! Who makes them?

I too run the steelie's with 34/10.5/ 17 LTB, and rock rings, and air soft pellets to bal.
Perfect combo for the FJC IMO

IMAG0192.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom