1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Brake Help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scruffydawg, Apr 2, 2003.

1. scruffydawg

scruffydawg

I have a fj62 and I'm not sure where to start with my brakes. The problem is that I can push the pedal to the floor and the brakes will not lock up. So I need everyone help! Do you think its the Master cylinder, Booster, or something else? The fluid level is good and the front pads are good also.

2. Trevor

Trevor

I will bet three broken birfields that it's the master. Have you tried pumping the brake to build pressure? If this works, then it's probably air in the line. But if it just crapped out all of a sudden without someone messing with the brakes, I would say the master is bad. I can't tell you much about the booster, since mine hasn't failed yet. :dunno:

3. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I've had everything in the entire system fail in the 6 months i've had mine. Master, all 8 slaves, and booster. Booster makes a hiss, causes rough idle. slaves are when not all wheels braking right, master is when you have to pump.

4. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Have someone look at the MC fluid reservoir/s while you pump the brake.  If the fluid level rises, you need a MC rebuild kit.

5. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

Check that the self adjusters on the rear drum brakes are not jammed. Same thing happened to me, I went through new front calipers, bigger master, etc, until I fixed the rear self adjusters. &nbsp:Duhh.

Dave