Need a rooftop tent in Lower 48 states? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rooftop tents I've seen on LC's look really cool. I can imagine in the African bush that they are essential to living through the night. However, in the US in the lower 48 states is one really needed? I suppose in some places it might help in the rare case of bear attack but that must be pretty slim.

I'm just bringing this up because it seems like there are some negatives to the rooftop tents. You're adding 100-150 lbs high up on your roof. You're also taking up lots of potential storage space.

Would a good $300 tent weighing 8lbs that rolls up the size of a loaf of bread be a better option?

Anyway..... without starting a flame, looking for pros and cons of the rooftop tent.

there is trade offs with any sleeping set up. A RTT sets up fast and is up off the rocky crappy, wet, dusty, muddy ground. Also in the PNW sometimes it can be tough to find a level place for a tent.

Top heavy, a little?
Sure.

Protection from bears?
I wouldn't bet my life on it!

chet's point is the main one. If you're traveling, it's much easier to set up and break camp with a RTT. And the RTT beds are usually a cut above what you'll pack, although the bed in the back of our 80 is pretty cushy:)

You get a RTT if it suits your needs and plans. If not, go a different direction.

BTW, a RTT won't work for us. The garage door is too low. However, once we get a lid on our trailer, a RTT on it is not far behind.

The center of gravity is much lower with a RTT on a trailer (and there are even special RTTs configured for the lower mounting on a trailer.) When you'd like to not have the RTT with you, just drop the trailer and you free to hit the more extreme spots you wouldn't try with a RTT up there. Again, YMMV, do what works best for you and your vehicle.

There is something about about sleeping up high on top of your truck when yah in the middle of no-where;) and is pissing rain and everything is muddy:crybaby:

When I go on my trips I camp out 30 days out of 30 days...:cool: setting up a ground tent would sure get old.........fast.....specially on crappy weather.....

If you going to use your RTT once or twice a year..then yeah it wouldn't merit buying one (but what do I know).

I leave my ground tent for when i go back packing and I always bring one with me for the (just in case...).

my 0.02 cents...

Taken from Autohome's website:
What advantage is there to having my tent on the roof of my vehicle?

The primary benefits in getting your tent up off the ground are…

* Your shelter is always with you and ready for a comfortable night’s sleep, which gives you a great deal of freedom
* Moving your sleeping quarters to the roof means that you have much more space in your vehicle, and no need to unpack to set up a comfortable place to sleep
* You don’t need a place to pitch your tent – so you can ‘camp’ anywhere – even RV parks that do not allow traditional tent camping.
* Fast and easy setup, even in the dark, equally fast and easy take down in the morning, even when the weather is wet and cold.
* Your vehicle stays cooler because the roof is shaded by the tent.
* Your tent also provides ready storage of your bedding and some equipment.
* AutoHome tents offer great ventilation and good view
* Fewer worries about insects, snakes, wildlife and other things that go bump in the night.
* Your tent – being up off the ground, will collect much less sand and dirt to contend with
* Sleeping on rocks or puddles is a thing of the past. Now you can camp anywhere your vehicle takes you – just park, pop open your tent, and get comfortable
* The list goes on, and you are only limited by your imagination.

Who buys these tents?

There are many people who have discovered the benefits of AutoHome tents. While the heavy canvas roof top tents offered by other makers are primarily designed for African or Australian travel conditions, AutoHome tents have a wider appeal. The owner who explores the back country in a 4X4 vehicle is a small but vital segment of our customer base. But many owners use their tent in support of their outdoor sports activities – mountain biking, surfing, sail-boarding, skiing and snow boarding, canoeists and kayakers, climbers and hikers, hunters, scuba divers, fishermen, and bird watchers. Professional people who work in the outdoors also comprise a small but growing group of owners – geologists, wildlife biologists, and photographers among them. Our tents have also been put to work by relief workers, oil platform workers, long haul drivers, and others who need a comfortable place to sleep wherever they find themselves at the end of the day.
I dig my roof top tent.
I have had many ground tents and two tent trailers, and I prefer the roof top tent.

RTT's rate much higher on the wife approval scale which trumps all other factors. :)

I love my RTT for many of the reasons already stated. But I got to underscore Oregon here. The wife and kids love it. The comfort factor is enough most of the time to get them out in the woods with me. If you have said wife and kids this maybe an option for happiness. My RTT has been off the truck for the last half of the summer. This afternoon I will be outfitting the LC and leaving everything for a couple of months. Most every weekend will be a camping weekend. The convenience of being able to jump into the woods and be set up in less than 15 minutes means more time hiking, fishing or whatever rather than fusing with a traditional tent, bedding etc. That being said whenever I hike and camp it is usually a tarp and sleeping bag. I think it comes down to personal preference. Dont convince yourself you need one if you dont. Try an figure out what you want to get out of it, what will fit your needs.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like some if you plan to do some decent traveling and overnighting the benefits of an RTT for sure outweigh the negatives.

Thanks All.

I like the RTT because I stop the truck and I can set up my tent in less than one minute--great when you're pitching camp at 11pm on a Friday. Also, it frees up alot of space in the truck because the bedding is stored in the tent, so no sleeping bags, thermarests, tent, pillows, etc. taking up space in the truck--leaves more room for beer.

I have to agree with OregonLC. We have had the ARB for over a year now and haven't looked back.

We can't forget leaving room for the sweet Nectar of the Gods. :D

Amen to the nectar! (boxes in the rear of the 60)

And it helps balance out the RRT......
Moab 2010 020.jpg

We have had our first RTT for almost 4 years, We love it, We use to be able to fit the whole family(4) comfortably, But the kids are getting bigger so I am building a trailer with another RTT, Of course it didn't hurt to win the second RTT( Thanks Camping Labs, Fernando, Raising Sun and CM comity), But we love them, My wife is a camper so comfort isn't the biggest issue, But staying warm is.

3357528961_786f23c901.jpg

Would not go back to ground tent after RTT.

Roof top tents bridge tents and RVs...

RTTs are a bridge between traditional ground tent camping and an RV. We went up and down the camping solution hierarchy finally settling on a roof tent with an enclosed lower room that includes bunk bed cots and carpeting (really). For my family with older kids, this is the perfect balance of cost, comfort and convenience. We try to get out every other weekend.

PrivactyTent1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see you here Chris...hope your going to get a vendor star and start selling here...I know you have great products, great prices and great service!

:beer:

Pat

Find a Flip-Pac. Very light, and lined up over the length of the truck, pack down pretty flat too. Have a gal in town that uses one on her 2wd pickup. Very good ventilation.

any pics of the bunk bed cots ,and where did you find them :cheers:

RTTs are a bridge between traditional ground tent camping and an RV. We went up and down the camping solution hierarchy finally settling on a roof tent with an enclosed lower room that includes bunk bed cots and carpeting (really). For my family with older kids, this is the perfect balance of cost, comfort and convenience. We try to get out every other weekend.

PrivactyTent1.jpg

any pics of the bunk bed cots ,and where did you find them :cheers:
I remember seeing some at Cabela's. Just google "bunk bed cot" and you will see a number of different ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom