Need a headlamp and a flashlight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to hunt ID backcountry, Frank Church Wilderness, in November. We will be flown in and dropped for 10 days. The last headlamp I bought was a Tikka, 13 years ago, and it is long gone. I have a couple small led lights but need a good one. I am willing to pay for light and long lasting. I have been looking at the Fenix lights and their prices seem to be very good.

I have already purchased 2 Streamlight Siege lanterns to use in camp.

What do you recommend?

This is the one I have Fred | Princeton Tec. It's fairly uncommon compared to their other models for some reason, but it's definitely my favorite headlamp and it's easy on batteries. For me, the red light is a big bonus because it keeps bugs away, conserves battery life, and doesn't cause my eyes to adjust fully to white light of I'm just turning it on for something quick. I've had multiple black diamond lamps, and as good as most of their gear is, the headlamps all seem to only last me around 3 or 4 years. My Fred headlamp is now going 6 years strong. I work as a wilderness guide and am pretty hard on gear. I've taken this thing for hand full of whitewater swims (don't ask), and it's never missed a beat or even turned off.

BTW I know you have a lantern, but these are worth a look, especially considering the price. MPOWERD | Luci Inflatable Solar Lights Featherlight, waterproof, and solar powered. At camp, mine have been left on all night accidentally and they were still on in the morning. Few hours of AZ sun and they're fully charged for the next night. Enjoy the trip!

I have been using a Black Diamond Revolt for the last couple of years, and it has worked well.

Very bright, several light levels, along with red. The rechargeable battery is nice and can charge from any USB, or it takes 3 AAA batteries.

No complaints.

Just picked up a new Princeton Vizz, around $30 IIRC. The primary white light is intense. Battery life seems good. Very happy with it, best one I've had yet. It has the useful red light mode that ItWasntMe noted of his older Princeton. Only downside is that the switch has to be pressed just right to turn on, but that may also keep it from turning on accidentally when stashed in your gear, so not necessarily a bad thing.

I ordered a Princeton Tec EOS Tactical and a League. Hopefully they last longer than my first PT light which lasted 3 months. That was when they first come out, a long time ago...

Thanks for the recommendations.

Have an Olight M30 and M31 for the last few years. Both have held up very well, but they have been replaced with newer models since I purchased them. They have some headlamps as well, but can't vouch for them.

Olight LED Flashlights

Not sure what model my first PT is. I've had it 6 or 7 years. It has 4 LEDs in a horizontal row, says "Regulated LED" on top. On the right side of the face, it says "4 Mode" and on the left front it's "H2O 1M." It has a few cracks in the upper edge of the lens, probably from being dropped, but still works fine. The LEDs in it can't hold a candle to the intensity of the new one, though.

I have used Fenix, Surefire, Streamlight, Princeton, Olight and maybe a few others.

For now my favorites that are still working: a Zebra light flood headlamp with the top strap and a Nitecore SRT-6. Both use the 18650 battery, which holds more juice than the 123 variety. If my Nitecore light broke I would replace it with a Zebra, functional and VERY lightweight.

Well I ordered the PT lights a week ago and the order is still "pending." I may have to go a different route if their system fails.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Be sure to determine exact battery requirements. I carried to many batteries last year on a backcountry elk hunt. Extra weight I didn't need to be carrying around. If you are going with someone share batteries.

I just got a Redline Select RC. #6189 REDLINE® Select RC™
Rechargeable lithium ion. Has a couple of features that I think are useless. But so fare I like it.

X3 Black Diamond Storm.
Worked flawlessly during our recent weeklong Grand Canyon rafting trip. Held up well under short rainstorms and the red light feature was perfect around the tight camps on late nights.

The EOS Tac light and the League arrived a couple weeks ago. I am not overly impressed with the light pattern of the EOS. It is not quite a spot or flood. I can't really figure out what it is. I may end up replacing it.

The League is a very nice handheld light. The light pattern is just right for a handheld and is powerful.

Fenix E12
Fenix HL50

Both are plenty bright enough for camping in the sticks, run on single AA batteries.

I keep the E12 in my pocket all the time, I find myself using it more than I thought I would.

I love my Black Diamond Storm. The flood setting is great (no hot spots, very even lighting) and on the low setting, battery life is phenomenal. It's a great task light. I have a couple Sunwayman torches. I like them better than my surefires & Fenix. They are worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom