Ne shock advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my 1978 FJ40 and wanted some advice on how to determine the correct size. I have a 2.5 inch lift on the truck. Also, I've done some searches on brands, but any advice on that would be helpful as well. Thanks!

Best way to determine shock size is the measure eye to eye at full compression and at full droop or extension. Then find a shock that fits those measurements best. I like Bilsteins 5100's myself.

That is fantastic! Thank you!

Joanna,

Don't just blindly go by the link that Johnny posted up. You really should do a little homework before choosing a shock. What I would suggest is to remove all the shocks first and then cross up the suspension by slowly driving across a ditch at an angle (maybe 40-45 degrees). This will allow your suspension to cycle through its full range of motion. You can then take measurements from your shock mount points to determine what the shock length needs to be at full compression and extension. Jot down those measurements and then go to the Bilstein site and see which shocks fit your parameters. Ideally you'd want to pick a shock that encompasses your full range of motion and then some. So you'd want it to both compress a tad shorter than you need and you'd want it to extend a bit more as well. If you don't get this right you run the risk of damaging a shock by either over-compressing or over extending it or possibly even breaking a shock mount. Basically cross the truck up in a ditch like so and use a tape measure. I can help you if you need assistance.

IMG_0917[1].JPG
IMG_0905[1].JPG

Last edited:
I don't really have anywhere to work on the truck right now or anywhere in Myers Park to flex it like that haha. Does the 4wheel parts shop measure that?

I'm sure they can do it. Call there and ask for Ryan, the manager. He has a 'Yota buggy and knows what to do. They may have a RTI ramp there they can use for measuring. if not, they have a forklift and that will do the trick.

Joanna,

If you want to bring the truck by my house this coming Saturday afternoon I'll help you out. You can even use my ditch. @FJinTegaCay is planning to bring his truck over for a little cosmetic work that afternoon. I will be out in the shop and glad to help. PM me if this might work for you. I'll give you my address (well, as membership chair I guess you already have that info).

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom