NATO Fuel/Scepter MWC Holder: Front Runner or Baja Rack or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
Looking for an affordable option to mount, horizontal, a NATO fuel can & Scepter MWC on my flat roof rack (J-Moose style rack). I like the style of the Front Runner & the Baja Rack holders. Is there a more affordable 2 can holder that holds the cans horizontal than the 2 I mentioned ($105)? Is there any small business guys on here that make them (I've searched the classifieds to no avail). Thanks.

I know you didn't ask, but just put them inside. There's no reason to carry something so heavy up on the roof.

I don't have the room & I won't carry fuel in the cab. Thanks.

I know you didn't ask, but just put them inside. There's no reason to carry something so heavy up on the roof.
Terrible idea to carry fuel inside the cab. Never do it.

Also FWIW I have carried my MFC's on my roof rack in the past and it is an incredible pain in the ass lifting them up and down when full. You're going to get tired of it really quickly if you're doing this for any reason other than looking cool.

Also FWIW I have carried my MFC's on my roof rack in the past and it is an incredible pain in the ass lifting them up and down when full. You're going to get tired of it really quickly if you're doing this for any reason other than looking cool.
40lbs isn't heavy to me and I have super siphons so I only lift them at beginning of trip and end of trip. I already look cool as hell so I don't need any help in that department!
:flipoff2:

I started with these http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC003 before ARB came out with their holders, as a matter of fact I was the first one in the usa with the ARB Jerry Can Holder for a while!

Also I have this one http://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/product.php?productid=19234&cat=287&page=1
Slee used to carry a 2-can rooftop holder that was fairly cheap. I ran that for several years before I sold the rack it was on. Not seeing it on their website though...

I have two NATO cans and Baja Rack can holder. Here is reality:

Baja Racks are rated to hold hundreds of pounds of weight.

BUT, placing two cans full of fuel in the recommended position at the corner of the rack is fine so long as you are NOT hard charging down a rocky road rally-style. Does fine for rock crawling up to Lvl 7 trails.

The bad / ugly:
Lifting a full tank off the rack is difficult. It is quite a bit of weight. Even more tricky if you're on the trail.
If you rally your truck, expect the powder coating to be gone on your rack +/- the paint on the roof of your rig (this latter issue was due to me deliberately overloading the rack with a ton of gear and additional spare).
Do NOT store fuel inside your rig. Been there / done that with leakage in the cab= miserable trail experience.
The weld seal on some NATO cans means loss of the powder coat on the can holder and rack bars.

My preference at this point is to buy the can holder from ARB for my ARB rear bumper (albeit, extremely and ridiculously expensive).

I'd much prefer to carry them on a rear swing out bumper but I have stock bumper so that's a no go. One day I'll get one but not anytime soon.

Here's my Slee one, simple, pretty cheap:
Gasposer1.jpg

I don't have a better picture of it. If I remember it was less than $50. I don't see it on their site anymore though.

:meh:

Sold it with the rack.

:meh:

Got tired of reading of the ridiculous prices people want for Jerry can holders so I made my own. About 1 hours time, some scrap, a $10 strip of 1/8" steel from Home Depot and $10 worth of SS hardware. Fits like a glove! Btw, it's mounted to my custom homemade "J-Moose" rack that I have a total of <$200 in!!!!
856E2FDC-F5A1-4349-A36E-E12E8341B128.jpg

E9F6E67E-985A-41FC-AB5E-ADE9A26579DD.jpg

Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom