My wife wants a Sequoia...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I understand ya'll ruled out the Sequoia, good vehicle in its own right, but i wanted to let you know I think that price was a little high. I traded in our '05 Sequoia Limited Lucchese edition 2wd with about 110k miles last October for $10,500. It was in excellent condition inside and out. It had 2nd row captains chairs too, which were great to keep the kids separated on trips.

Anywho, I 100% agree either a 100 or 200 series has higher quality components and more care was put into the assembly. You feel that every time you get in one.

Best wishes you finding the right vehicle for your family.

The Sequoia is by no means a bad vehicle but I'd rather have a LC/LX with double the miles.

Really different vehicles comparing a Sequoia to a LC. We've had an 03 Sequoia for several years and recently bought an 08. The 5.7 is harder on fuel in town but no worse perhaps better on the highway. 4 speed tranny compared to a 6 speed though. I absolutely love the added torque of the 5.7 over the 4.7. Uphills and headwinds are much less noticeable. The first thing I noticed between the 2 generations of Sequoias was the steering feel. The 03 much tighter feel but the turning ability of the newer one is wayyyy better. One main reason I bought our 03 was cargo area especially with the removable 3rd row seats. I really dislike the 2nd generation 3rd row seats for cargo room as what you get is a deck height at least 4 or 5 inches higher that I don't believe you can remove. If you wanna haul people in the 3rd row then the 2nd gen is way nicer. Haul cargo i prefer the 1st gen. The other major win I feel on the 2nd gen is the brakes are way better in my opinion. I also don't see the paint/rust problem on the 2nd gen where a simple rock chip on the first gen typically turns into a rust spot.
1st gens had the frame rusting recall, front lower ball joint recall, yes some failed and still do, VSC etc lights coming on 1st gen, rear hatch latch problems and the 4.7 has a timing belt to change. I foresee a problem on the 2nd gen wheel wells, no moulding to protect that flat sheet metal unlike a 1st gen . The wife immediately noticed the added width of the 2nd gen, gotta watch the mirrors backing out of the garage. I also understand the backup cameras and parking sensors on the 2nd gens, sort of tough to see and judge distances around it.
I haven't pulled with the 5.7 yet but assume it will be far more capable than the 4.7 even given the tow capacity rating. 6200 lbs 4x4 compared to 7100 up to 9600 depending on options on the 2nd gen. I trailered an old BJ60 LC with my 05 Tundra double cab, sure made the 4.7 work and used plenty of gas. The other reason I bought a Sequoia, just too cheap to pony up LC money :)
If we head off road these days thats what i have the old 3rd gen 4Runner for as its cheap to fix and the IFS is good enough for what we do anymore. Oh thought I'd also add that 20 inch rubber certainly costs more than 16 or 17 inch now though. 2005 up has TPMS.
Good luck on your shopping

Last edited:
Have an 02 with 240,000 miles besides the maintenance and radiator its mostly stock. Its been the best family vehicle we've had to date. I recently bought her a 15 Highlander because all the city running she's doing and having a hard time letting it go. May end up making an overlander out of it. I drove and wheeled and 95 FJ80 for 9 years its just a little bit bigger but the 4.7 carries the weight better.

886020_1153041151372778_2432742822718540245_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom