My wife wants a Sequoia...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slightly different view on this. When it comes to the wife's car, as long as we can afford it and it can hold a family of 5, she can get what she wants. She returns the favor when when its time for me to go car shopping.

Happy wife, happy life, etc.

Good luck

No input on a Sequoia specifically, wondering more why, with all of the amazing craftsmen on this site, no one has been able to figure out and fab 2nd row captain chairs. Very tall order I realize, and very pricey I'm sure. Just stating out of curiosity. 100 with captain chairs sounds like your dream vehicle.

To note have to say everyone has compelling points. Tough decision.

No input on a Sequoia specifically, wondering more why, with all of the amazing craftsmen on this site, no one has been able to figure out and fab 2nd row captain chairs. Very tall order I realize, and very pricey I'm sure. Just stating out of curiosity. 100 with captain chairs sounds like your dream vehicle.

To note have to say everyone has compelling points. Tough decision.

This would be awesome. We did not have 2nd row captain chairs in our Sequoia, but there were time we almost trade it for another Sequoia with 2nd row captain chairs.

TBH the Sequioas have always been very unattractive to look at, especially the latest generation which is a fat version of the already fat 200 with a tundra face.

and Gen 1 looked like a tundra with a topper king and had those ugly ass tail lights.

But get the wife what she wants...she is going to get her way in the end so just cut to the chase. Maybe steer her towards a Sienna if this is just going to be for the kids. Just make sure she stays out of your 100.

We have an 1995 80 series, 2003 Sequoia, and 2005 RX330 and my parents had a 2005 Sienna XLE and I have driven them all extensively.

IMO if you aren't getting 4x4, the Sienna is a much better vehicle than the Sequoia for family duty. The Sienna drives way better than the Sequoia, is more comfortable, and the XLE has excellent quality, very similar to Lexus. If you can get past the mini-van stigma its the way to go.

Plus its got two rows of captain's chairs !

If it's just a matter of having a pass through, I'd try and modify the 2nd row seating on your 100. Instead of a 40/60 split, make it a 40/40.

I don't think there is any reason you should avoid a sequoia, it's just not a 100 series. I don't have any experience with the newer sequoia with 5.7l, but I bet the power is nice.

I sold my 2000 LC and bought an 04 Tundra doublecab, which is essentially a 1st gen Sequoia with a bed. I regret it every day. The Tundra, when judged on its own merit, is a fantastic truck. Mine has 165k miles, and I've never done anything but change the oil (bought with 120k).

However, when judged in comparison with the 100 it fails. It's nowhere near as comfortable. The seats in mine are manual and have limited adjustments. They flat out suck- it feels like I'm sitting on the floor. The interior is covered in hard plastic, which is very durable, but it doesn't feel nice like the 100. Its loud and unpleasant to drive above 60 mph. The sequoia may have more sound deadening but they are basically the same vehicle from the bed forward. Even the rear seat is interchangeable.

All that said, it's not a bad truck on its own merit, it just doesn't compare AT ALL to the 100, and I am currently looking for another 100 to replace it with.

To piggy back off an earlier post, we also have an 08 Sienna XLE. Bought it with 70k miles and now it has 145k. It's never had a problem other than chewing through tires at lightspeed. I also find it to be very loud at interstate speeds, and I don't find the seats to be particularly comfortable, although they are leather. It's a nice vehicle, but it's just an appliance.

I'd like to add that if one plan's on fixing up their vehicle for off road use, I think the LC platform has better aftermarket support than the Sequoia.

on Sienna: from commercial driver perspective, - the best ingress and egress for elderly customers.

on Tundra: I have a 2015 one, and it serves its purpose well, but it's like driving my much older LX while under anaesthesia

So did you buy one? Have her test drive a 100 or a 200 before you dive in maybe she will change her mind.

@Texas Sun Power have you seen this? 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser

or this, though slightly higher miles - 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser LX470 style

also, I've been looking to swap my tan leather middle row (at least rear bench behind driver) for a system with LATCH for my kiddos' car seats. My 2000 LC is the last year w/o LATCH.

don't know if y'all have kiddos or not - let me know if you're open to that idea once you find your LC.

I agree with the guy that recommended getting a Sienna instead of a Sequoia if it's only going to be used for driving kids around or for general city use (no offroading).

We had the 1gen Sienna (2002) for about 10 years and got over 240k miles out of it no problem. Now have a 2005 Sienna XLE which is amazing. It's currently got 130k miles on it. I love the ride on it, definitely on par or better than some cheaper Lexus models. Very practical, great MPG, TONS of cargo room and easy to load since it's so low to the ground compared to a truck. Honestly, it's a no brainer.

I sold my 2000 LC and bought an 04 Tundra doublecab, which is essentially a 1st gen Sequoia with a bed. I regret it every day. The Tundra, when judged on its own merit, is a fantastic truck. Mine has 165k miles, and I've never done anything but change the oil (bought with 120k).

However, when judged in comparison with the 100 it fails. It's nowhere near as comfortable. The seats in mine are manual and have limited adjustments. They flat out suck- it feels like I'm sitting on the floor. The interior is covered in hard plastic, which is very durable, but it doesn't feel nice like the 100. Its loud and unpleasant to drive above 60 mph. The sequoia may have more sound deadening but they are basically the same vehicle from the bed forward. Even the rear seat is interchangeable.

All that said, it's not a bad truck on its own merit, it just doesn't compare AT ALL to the 100, and I am currently looking for another 100 to replace it with.

To piggy back off an earlier post, we also have an 08 Sienna XLE. Bought it with 70k miles and now it has 145k. It's never had a problem other than chewing through tires at lightspeed. I also find it to be very loud at interstate speeds, and I don't find the seats to be particularly comfortable, although they are leather. It's a nice vehicle, but it's just an appliance.

I've noted that our 1999 Sienna would go through tires too.
Our Sienna rod nicely, had cloth seats, and had plenty of room.
But there is just something about my 2002 LX that makes it special.

Wifey has a 2009 Camry and I asked her if she would trade me
her Camry for my LX ... her immediate answer is YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom