My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yeah, I was thinking the brake mech.

I never replaced those little ones but a bearing supplier should have them if you can figure what size you need.

yeah, I was thinking the brake mech.

I never replaced those little ones but a bearing supplier should have them if you can figure what size you need.

Actually you might try a BB from a BB gun it may just be the correct size. I would measure mine but I just finished rebuilding it last week and the handle is sealed in place with silicone and I don't want to disturb it.

I just tore into another 8274 and found I have a rust issue. The clutch can't be removed since the pinion gear is rusted to the motor shaft. Also, the main gear is stuck on the drum splines. I have soaked all of it in PB Blaster for a few days to no avail. Any suggestions on getting this stuff free? Even if I can't use most of the parts due to pitting, I'd still like to be able to use the cases.

B-F-H

brass drift + bfh.
And/or a pulley puller.

You might be able to remove the motor and all electrics and cable. Go to kmart get a large plastic tub big enough to submerg it in molasses. I think this will work but will take a long time. Aluminum wont work with electrolysis. Contact toomanytoyz here on mud to find out what molasses to use. Beats a bfh

...via IH8MUD app

You might be able to remove the motor and all electrics and cable. Go to kmart get a large plastic tub big enough to submerg it in molasses. I think this will work but will take a long time. Aluminum wont work with electrolysis. Contact toomanytoyz here on mud to find out what molasses to use. Beats a bfh

...via IH8MUD app

He's talking about separating the gears, not aluminum. They are strong. Hit them.

Yes sir. Kroil is absolutly the best penetrant around. Split the gear case and spray the stuff all over the drum-gear interface. Give it some time and hopefully it will start to move. If it does slowly work it until it comes apart. You may be able to heat the gear hub with a torch but be real careful not to melt the housing.

brass drift + bfh.
And/or a pulley puller.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I have everything in the lower case removed except the main gear, which is stuck on the drum splines. I have soaked the parts in PB Blaster and driven wooden wedges between the case and the main gear, but it has not budged. There is no way to use a gear puller, since the gear is inside the case.

I may try Kroil.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I have everything in the lower case removed except the main gear, which is stuck on the drum splines. I have soaked the parts in PB Blaster and driven wooden wedges between the case and the main gear, but it has not budged. There is no way to use a gear puller, since the gear is inside the case.

I may try Kroil.

Yeah, my bad. Its been a long time for me. I was thinking of the brake I think, once it is off/out of the housing...

ForumRunner_20140210_234202.jpg

ForumRunner_20140210_234202.jpg

Thanks oruna1 I followed your simple but brilliant idea with the drill bit sizing method! My clutch now functions perfectly and for all wondering the detent ball is a 1/4" steel ball bearing.

I just scored this one for $200 from a CL ad my father-in-law and I went to last weekend. The ad just said a bunch of tools with some random pics, so we took the ride since you could see a few hotrods in the background. I didn't see the winch until I went to the corner of the shop to grab a box to put some stuff in.

I bought it for $200 with NO warranty other than the sellers word that it works. Time will tell. My question is what kind of battery connection is this? Can I find the other end easily??

I will do a rebuild thread as well, but time is not on my side now. Between this winter and OT at work my Cruiser has been left in the dark. I can't wait until spring.

Warn winch 009.jpg

Warn winch 011.jpg

I just scored this one for $200 from a CL ad my father-in-law and I went to last weekend. The ad just said a bunch of tools with some random pics, so we took the ride since you could see a few hotrods in the background.

I bought it for $200 with NO warranty other than the sellers word that it works. Time will tell. My question is what kind of battery connection is this? Can I find the other end easily??

I will do a rebuild thread as well, but time is not on my side now. Between this winter and OT at work my Cruiser has been left in the dark. I can't wait until spring.

Nice score!! Yes, very common connection. Google "jumper cable connector"

or "anderson connector"

Try setting the unit on the end of the spool with the case sitting up. Spray kroil oil on it every 6 hours or so tapping it with a plastic mallet. It will take a long time. The other idea would be to try engine release out of canida. Fill the case up so the release covers the shaft stuf is not cheap though and it would have to soak a couple weeks. Need to figure how much you need to cover the shaft. That stuff made my pistons come loose after i removed the rod bearings.

Can anyone tell me if the center round part with all the ridges on the brake portion of the 8274 is suppose to spin freely when the clamp on the bottom is not touching it. Mine just seems loose in between the other two metal disks. Trying to refurbish it a little and if this part is not right I want to fix it. Just bought it so not real sure, it has some wear on it.

Try setting the unit on the end of the spool with the case sitting up. Spray kroil oil on it every 6 hours or so tapping it with a plastic mallet. It will take a long time. The other idea would be to try engine release out of canida. Fill the case up so the release covers the shaft stuf is not cheap though and it would have to soak a couple weeks. Need to figure how much you need to cover the shaft. That stuff made my pistons come loose after i removed the rod bearings.

I've pretty much given up on it at this point. Even if I got it all apart, the main gear would be rusted beyond the point of being usable. The upper housing is the same way. I'm going to chalk this one up as a loss.

On to the next rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom