My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the help...:cheers:

4978600844_30c8585d1d_b.jpg

4977881285_c74fe903c8_b.jpg

Can anyone confirm that this is powder coat and not paint? I'm about to restore a couple 8274s and absolutely love how this looks.

Looks like powder, but I think there is a rattle can product that is similar.

The solenoid cover is powder and I would guess the winch body is as well.

I showed that picture to my powder coat guy but he didn't have a close match. It looks like silver vein to me, but the silver vein he had on display looked different. I went with a gunmetal grey on this one, but I may try to paint my next 8274. Does anybody know the name is the paint that is supposed to be similar to this finish? I assume it is Rustolem Hammered Silver, but I wanted to check with yall first.

I really enjoy working on these winches. Can't wait to get some pics up when I finish this first one.

flintknapper

First - excellent documentation. I'm checking out my used 8274 and am using this for a reference. At this point, I cannot split the gearbox. Came in the house to cool off before I decided to get a bigger hammer and a wood splitting wedge.

Second - probably old news to many but if you are adding EP gear lube in place of straight 30W engine oil keep this in mind: The Extreme Pressure (EP) part of the name comes from the fact that as the gear teeth mesh, the EP additive in the lube breaks down and forms a thin layer on the surfaces of the gear teeth helping to prevent wear.

A by product of this process is a sulfur containing gas - this is the source of the rotten egg smell from a warm differential. In a sealed system it will build pressure. Sometimes enough to leak by or blow out seals. This why differentials and manual trannys have vents, not thermal expansion.

The 8274 gear box is large and run times relatively short so pressure build up may not be a problem. But if you have oil going past the seals or seals blown out, you might want to add a vent.

Thanks for the write up.

Jim

I showed that picture to my powder coat guy but he didn't have a close match. It looks like silver vein to me, but the silver vein he had on display looked different. I went with a gunmetal grey on this one, but I may try to paint my next 8274. Does anybody know the name is the paint that is supposed to be similar to this finish? I assume it is Rustolem Hammered Silver, but I wanted to check with yall first.

I really enjoy working on these winches. Can't wait to get some pics up when I finish this first one.

I just painted mine with rustoleum's Metallic Carcoal and standard Aluminum paints.

One coat primer and two coats paint. We shall see how durable it is. Didn't want to fork over the money for powder coat.

image-1905381040.jpg

image-3130620144.jpg

image-1574623667.jpg

image-672757135.jpg

image-906702910.jpg

This is my first post, this thread popped up the most for problems.

I just rebuilt all mine, took it all apart & did fresh paint. My issue is, when i mounted it all back together, the ratchet will not lock in place , like theres slack when the pawl hits it. Like the pawl lost its spring back. Worked fine three days ago... Any suggestions??

I did not take any of the brake assembly aloose, only the pawl to paint it.

This is my first post, this thread popped up the most for problems.

I just rebuilt all mine, took it all apart & did fresh paint. My issue is, when i mounted it all back together, the ratchet will not lock in place , like theres slack when the pawl hits it. Like the pawl lost its spring back. Worked fine three days ago... Any suggestions??

I did not take any of the brake assembly aloose, only the pawl to paint it.

It's been awhile, but maybe take the pawl back off and check that the spring is installed correctly, and/or order a new spring...

I didnt take any of the spring out of the pawl, all i did was take the 1/4" bolt out that holds it all together. Slip pawl off, paint, slip back on. Mind boggling. And like i said, its almost like the ratchet needs to be compressed back in somehow?

I didnt take any of the spring out of the pawl, all i did was take the 1/4" bolt out that holds it all together. Slip pawl off, paint, slip back on. Mind boggling. And like i said, its almost like the ratchet needs to be compressed back in somehow?

I'm pretty sure there is a "catch" inside the housing that the spring needs to be "re-inserted" or "re-installed" on, I think I had to hold the pawl (with spring) in place and rotate it around (I can't remember which direction) in order to get tension on the spring again...

Thanks for the informative thread fellas , I'm looking forward to freshening up my 8274 that i scored for $150.

I opened the case up and it looks to be in very good shape too.:D

^^ nice work!

I ended up going with powder coat on mine. It looks great but made reassembly difficult at times where the powder coat guy didn't mask it exactly how I wanted. From the looks of the Rustoleum paint above, I will probably try that on my next one. I'll post pictures of my first one as soon as I complete it.

I ended up going with powder coat on mine. It looks great but made reassembly difficult at times where the powder coat guy didn't mask it exactly how I wanted. From the looks of the Rustoleum paint above, I will probably try that on my next one. I'll post pictures of my first one as soon as I complete it.

In your post (281), I believe that finish is not powder coating, but a Rust-Oleum paint product. They have a line of paints called 'hammered' and the grey product they offer looks just like that in the picture.

Flint.

Sure could use a little help with my rebuild I can't find the size of the detent ball in the clutch assembly. Any know what size steel ball I should search out. Warn only sells the complete assembly and the ball itself is not listed individually.

Last edited:
3/8" ball IIRC

somewhere I have a rebuild thread where I had it listed. I bought them from a local bearing/ seal outfit

EDIT - here it is https://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/241652-just-another-8274-rebuild-lots-pics.html

It's much smaller than that. The 3/8" is the size of the 21 bearings used for the brake mechanism. Pull out the spring and measure the hole the spring is in with a drill bit. Get a ball slightly smaller than the bit. .090 to .125 as a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom