My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this Warn 8274 new in 1983 and have been using it pretty hard the last 24 years.

Recently I decided to split the case, change the oil, and install fill and drain plugs (something I’ve been meaning to do for years).

As you can see…it was in dire need of some TLC, but it was still running strong, a testimony to the build quality of this winch and yet another reason why so many of us love this model.

24later.jpg

sludge.jpg

Once I split the case, I decided to go ahead and "freshen" her up.

In the post below this, you will see the parts all cleaned up and ready to reassemble. The only new part(s) needed (on mine) were a #8680 lower housing kit, which is comprised of the drum bushings (both ends) and a thrust washer and seal (all related to the drum). Also, I replaced the motor shaft bearing.

See next post:

Last edited:
Warn 8274 rebuild part II

Parts cleaned up and ready to reassemble. If anyone would like to see a close up of a part or would like a pic of any assembly phase let me know. I will try to accommodate all requests.

8274R3.jpg

8274R2.jpg

8274R1.jpg

There is a good write up on an 8274 rebuild at the link below, but he didn’t go as far into his winch as I did mine. Very good info though.

Warn 8274 rebuild

Maybe this will be of some help to others. There are a lot of older 8274’s out there that could easily be brought back to nearly new condition with just a little effort.

I will post pics of the finished product in the next week or so.

This looks like a great build/rebuild thread covering the 8274. I have to go through 2 of mine before next wheeling season.

Have you thought about moving it to Trails - Gear - Recovery section instead of the 80 series section?

Pretty sure the mods are going to do that. I didn't really know where to put it, but wanted it to get a little exposure in case anyone has questions.

I will be putting it back together some time in the coming week...so when thats done... it will be too late to take any additional pics if requested.

Just trying to help.

I am in the process of doing the same thing to mine!
What are you using to set the depth on the drum bushing?

I am in the process of doing the same thing to mine!
What are you using to set the depth on the drum bushing?

The bushing (from the outside machined surface) needs to be set at a depth of .190

The bushing itself measures .8275 in depth.

The bushing bore (depth) is 1.000 even.

The .190 is necessary to accommodate the thickness of the drum "thrust washer and seal" which protrude into the bore and butt up against the bushing.

To answer your question, I have a set of digital calipers (with depth finder). So it is a simple matter to tap the bushing into the bore and measure the depth at 4 points 90 degs. apart.

You just need to have the bushing in the bore "squarely" and at approx. the proper depth.

The drum seal measures: .1365 thick
The Thrust-Washer lip is: .0685 thick

So overall the two are .2050 thick. This provides about .015 "crush" on the seal when assembled.

Looking at it....it is hard to imagine that this measurement is ultra critical. The entire set up is designed only to contain the oil in a case that is "splash" lubricating the parts. Nothing is under anything much outside of atmospheric pressure.

Too, Warn recommends that you add only 6 ozs. of 30 weight oil. That will hardly even reach the seal.

I am going to use a blend of Mobil 1 gear oil and Marvel Mystery oil for a thicker lubricant (I live in a warm climate).

So, in summary: If you have a means to measure the depth of the bushing, it needs to be .190 or pretty close. If you don't ....tap it in (its not tight) until the opposite lip protrudes just inside the case and stop. This will put you very close to the .190 needed toward the outside of the case.

bushing1.jpg

bushingII.jpg

Last edited:
I love the white table cloth look. Ring the bell, dinner could be served off of those parts!:D

Yeah, sorry about that.:frown:

I have so many other projects scattered around my shop, I had to move this one outdoors to document it.

Bear with me.;)

Great pics. Detail the reassembly.

My 1990 model looked like the same nasty mess inside when I got into it last year. I also just used plain gear oil 80w-90.

Did you end up doing the drain and fill plugs?

Yeah, sorry about that.:frown:

I have so many other projects scattered around my shop, I had to move this one outdoors to document it.

Bear with me.;)

Seriously, I like it. My projects always have parts put into different :beer: boxes, and gnarly ziplock bags. However, I don't think the :princess: would appreciate me doing what you did...:hillbilly:

Great pics. Detail the reassembly.

My 1990 model looked like the same nasty mess inside when I got into it last year. I also just used plain gear oil 80w-90.

Did you end up doing the drain and fill plugs?

Yup!

First order of business.

Fill plug I put on top, but in retrospect I would put it in the side of the upper housing if I were to do this again.

Drain plug is at bottom (side) of lower housing between two reinforcing webs. I didn't want it too close to any radius on the case for sake of strength.

drainplugs.jpg

Last edited:
is the recomended oil for this winch .?

6 ozs. of 30 weight is called for by Warn. I am sure this is with consideration to the many climates/temperatures it would be called to serve under.

I will use a blend of syn. gear oil and MM oil, so the lube will "climb" the gears more readily. I live in a warm part of the country..so the higher viscosity shouldn't pose any problems.

Good build-up, great pics:bounce:. Wish I'd added the fill plug to mine. :popcorn:Ned

I am surprised Warn didn't provide plugs from the factory. Even though an "oil change" is not often needed under normal use....it would have been a handy addition. I'm sure it had something to do with the damn "bean counters".

As it stands, you have no way of knowing how much oil you have in the case unless you split it.

At the very least....I would want a "drain" plug. Oil could be added by removing the screws holding the clutch mechanism in place and backing it out slightly.

I had at least 4 ozs. of water in my case along with the oil.:eek:

6 ozs. of 30 weight is called for by Warn. I am sure this is with consideration to the many climates/temperatures it would be called to serve under.

I will use a blend of syn. gear oil and MM oil, so the lube will "climb" the gears more readily. I live in a warm part of the country..so the higher viscosity shouldn't pose any problems.

The same as me .. down here in Panamá mwe usually are in 28 - 32ºC range .. so higer viscosity it''s a must

Flintknapper, any thoughts on adding a zerk to the drivers side plate and a bronze bushing there as well?
Ala aussie style?

If so, maybe you could share the part numbers, how to, etc.

Last edited:
Flintknapper, any thoughts on adding a zerk to the drivers side plate and a bronze bushing there as well?
Ala aussie style?

If so, maybe you could share the part numbers, how to, etc.

Sorry to be so long getting back to you.

I had to put a new Hard Drive in my computer this afternoon and clone it. Thought it would take about 2 hours. Nope…..6 hours.

To answer your question, yes I put Zerk (grease) fittings in the drum end support.

I did not try to source a Bronze bushing because I believe the nylon filled bushing to be sufficient.

There was only .005 wear on my old bushing (most of that on the front).

I could have turned it 180 degs. and reused it if I had wanted to. Over the last 24 years…I have used this winch hundreds of hours.

But, I do think Zerk fittings are a good idea so I did install them when I replaced the bushing.

I did mine a little differently than others I have seen though. We will call this the “Flintknapper method” unless someone else can show me they did it first.

Zerks1.jpg

Rather than try to put a fitting somewhere in the circumference of the bore, I chose to replace the screws that hold the drum end cover on… with ¼-28 zerks.

I drilled and tapped the old holes in the end support to ½” depth (this is a blind hole).

Then I drilled out the screw holes in the plastic cover to ¼” dia. so the zerks would pass through.

Drilled 1/8” holes 180 degs. apart at an upward angle until they just broke through into the newly tapped holes. Do this with the new bushing in place so the holes will match up.

greasehole.jpg

bushholes.jpg

Put a small amount of silicone on the Zerk threads and tighten down lightly.

Done!

bushinstall.jpg

For best lubrication...you’ll want to spool the drum in or out a few revolutions while greasing the bushing. This will help spread the grease evenly.

Last edited:
Lower end reassembly

O.K lets get started putting the lower end back together.

First we’ll want to reconnect the drum to the lower housing and main gear.

Before we do this, we will need to install the Thrust Washer and Seal (if previously removed).

It is important that the T-Washer be installed as shown below (with lip facing the housing). The Seal is symmetrical and can not be placed on incorrectly.

twasherseal.jpg

“Lightly” grease the Seal and Thrust Washer just prior to installing the drum.

twashsealgrease.jpg

The drum when inserted in the case…is held in place by a “lock-plate” (as is the main shaft). Here you can see the lock-plate and the groove that it fits into.

lockplate.jpg

lockplateII.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom