My Old 8274 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put this thing together tonight. Looks pretty good so far, I think.

Rebuild 4.JPG
Rebuild 5.JPG

Having a little trouble with the cables to the motor. All 3 seem pretty long and are definitely longer than the old ones. All this came from Warn.

Do I need to have a new cable made? I can't seem to bend the one to the armature the right way. Too short to loop, to long to bend in there.

Old cable vs new cable in first pic......

Cable - armeture.JPG
Rebuild 1.JPG

Having a little trouble with the cables to the motor. All 3 seem pretty long and are definitely longer than the old ones. All this came from Warn.

Do I need to have a new cable made? I can't seem to bend the one to the armature the right way. Too short to loop, to long to bend in there.

Old cable vs new cable in first pic......

You can make your own to length, or have NAPA make them pretty cheaply.

One final question. Where does the ground cable attach? This is a very old winch, but I put new solenoids in so just want to be sure. Does it attach to one of the long bolts holding the motor on? Guess I should have welded a ground post to the motor housing when I had it apart, huh?

One final question. Where does the ground cable attach? This is a very old winch, but I put new solenoids in so just want to be sure. Does it attach to one of the long bolts holding the motor on? Guess I should have welded a ground post to the motor housing when I had it apart, huh?

That's where the original stock ground cable was attached. It works, but a stud on the motor case (as in later Warn models) is better.

I ordered Warn part number 8356 through Amazon. Order was filled by a company called Hades Auto. took about a week and a half.

As far as getting it in there - that was the hardest part of the rebuild. If I had it to do over again, I would have left the old one in.

Make sure the housing is clean and smooth, no paint or anything. grease inside of the housing and the needle bearing. I basically held it in place and hit with a rubber hammer just until it started in. then put a 2x4 up against it and hit the 2x4 with the rubber hammer, until it was flush with the housing. I did hit it pretty hard. I just used a 2x4 to hopefully get even pressure on the back of the needle bearing. Whatever you use, keep it flush with the needle bearing. I'm sure there is a better way, hopefully someone else will chime in here. Good luck.

I heard about using a deep well socket for the needle bearing install and removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom