My New Ride T4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few days back I signed the papers on a 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail. Already into the new build with Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17s and yesterday Old Man Emu Sport 3" lift. This truck will remain much closer to stock than the FJ.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! I love the look of the current gen 4-Runners. You'll have to post up some thoughts on the 4-Runner vs. FJ after you've got some trips in on the new rig. How does the OME suspension ride vs. the ICON on the FJ? I still haven't lifted mine and go back on forth on ride quality of a race shock (ICON, KING, etc) vs. the OEM like longevity of the Old Man Emus.

What is your plan for accomodations now that the trailer is up for sale?

One of the biggest differences from the FJ is ghe rear cargo is long enough to sleep comfortably. After paying too much for Icon and expensive rebuilds I'll never put on race-style shocks again. KISS! OME is stiffer than Icon but about the same as factory on the 4R. The Icons bottomed too easy.

I will agree with Ace all the way on never going back to a race style shock. Way too many issues, maintenance required, etc. Those shocks do not improve the type of offroading that we do, IMO. Yes, they look cool, but they are not worth the additional cost and headaches.

acfew days back I signed the papers on a 2015 Toyota 4Runner Trail. Already into the new build with Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17s and yesterday Old Man Emu Sport 3" lift. This truck will remain much closer to stock than the FJ. My off road trailer is for sale and posted in MUD classifieds. The FJ will be also when I get it all cleaned up. View attachment 1024463
Sweet looking 4 Runner Ace! I love the looks of the new 4 runners. They seem much more true to the look of the 4 runner than the previous generation. They seem to have better ground clearance and approach/departure angles. Let us know how it works out.

One of the biggest differences from the FJ is ghe rear cargo is long enough to sleep comfortably. After paying too much for Icon and expensive rebuilds I'll never put on race-style shocks again. KISS! OME is stiffer than Icon but about the same as factory on the 4R. The Icons bottomed too easy.

Which OME coils did you go with?

Honestly the Fj works just fine for me as is and I haven't found clearance to be a limiting factor. My only issue is I bottom it out fairly easily with all the extra weight. I was starting to dismiss the idea of race shocks and I think you guys have put the nail in that coffin. Ideal for my needs would really be a 1" lift with stiffer springs rates and better damping.

Don't know about that, haven't I seen damage from flying low.

I went heavy in front and medium aft. Right now it's too high but will settle with bumpers, sliders, etc. the door sill is actually 2" higher than the FJ with 35"s on it.

Really liking this rig. Too many things to list that I consider significant improvements over the FJ. One is the lift tailgate with electric down glass. I can now reach my beer with the gate closed. No side visors like the FJ, got to fix that. Getting used to the front end styling but it will sure make addition of a steel bumper harder. The suspension and handling really lots better than the FJ. This KDSS is pretty amazing, it corners like a sport car. Have played around some with all the off road toys. Too early to tell how much I will use them but not planning to get into the rough stuff until skids and sliders. Best feature is 18.4 average mileage so far, and a 24 gallon tank.

Ace

Three weeks in Mexico and it ran flawless. The handling and better brakes were tested several times evading Mexican drivers. The truckers give no quarter when they pass.

Another recent upgrade. Installed the Bajarack that took way too long to get here. Fit and finish excellent, customer service not so great.
image.jpg

John, it fits in the garage with room to spare so no door opening mod needed. But thanks for the offer.

Recently added a CBI rear bumper and swing out and ARB skids. Now may need to go with the heavy rear springs. That bumper is quite heavy and moving the spare further aft didn't help.
image.jpg

Saw this great looking aluminum bumper from Hefty Fab at the Summit. Unfortunately they have a 12 week backlog of orders.
image.jpg

Today I
image.jpeg
installed the Hefty Fabworks sliders. Much stronger than the custom ones I had built and really neat design. Old ones for sale to anyone with a 2010-15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom