My new 2004 GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all who helped me with various comments and bits of advice during my vehicle search for a 4Runner or GX over the last few months. Although I came close to buying a couple of 4Runners, I'm glad I held out for a nice GX, which stemmed from the time I got to test drive one of each back to back at a used car lot a couple of months ago. The difference was staggering (comfort, seating condition, noise, performance). Sure I wish the GX had a hatch like a 4Runner but overall I feel the GX is a nicer vehicle to drive.

Now sitting in my driveway with my plates on it is a 2004 GX470 in ash blue mica color. Bought it from the second owner and it's in nice condition. Nice to have a Toyota/Lexus truck-frame 4x4 again. I look forward to owning, driving and looking after this "wolf in sheep's clothing" over the next few (many?) years. Mine had the rear air suspension replaced with coils and shocks a couple of years ago, so that maintenance has been simplified.

I won't be doing a major build as several people here carry out, I plan on using it relatively stock, mostly road and marginal road use (no offroading). First point of order will be to put the two jumper seats in the rear into my shed, and try to remove accumulated dust and dirt underneath (previous owner lived on a dirt road).

Look forward to exchanging information with some of you about these great vehicles, and getting advice on things I'll discover about mine.

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7661.JPG

Welcome and nice truck! You'll get used to the swing open door, I do sometimes miss the rear window being able to roll down like the 4Runner, but the swing has its advantages too. Now get those running boards off.

Congrats on the new ride! I had the same 4runner/GX dilemma until I drove a GX as well. I've only had mine for 5 months now, but have no regrets.

I wish someone would offer a paintable aftermarket front fender flare that made the GX look a little more factory with the running boards off myself.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll think about the running boards. Because my GF says she needs them to get into the truck, and at 60, I can use a little help myself (unlike you young wipper snappers! ;)
I do agree the GX looks less "pedestrian" with the running boards off. Just wish I could try it without a lot of trouble getting them off and on.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll think about the running boards. Because my GF says she needs them to get into the truck, and at 60, I can use a little help myself (unlike you young wipper snappers! ;)
I do agree the GX looks less "pedestrian" with the running boards off. Just wish I could try it without a lot of trouble getting them off and on.
Next time both of you are getting in an out, notice your motions. I'm betting neither of you use the RBs, although you may think you do. They are tucked underneath so far, actually using them forces you into an awkward movement.......

The reason I'm mentioning this is because my wife wouldn't let me remove them on our 1st GX. She said she "needed" them, but it turns out, she never set a foot on them........nor have I ever seen anyone (short of a small child) use them. They're usually no good for anything, other than getting your pants leg dirty or keeping the lower side of the vehicle clean(er)!

Just a thought in case you need a bit of "leverage" to get her to let you take them off.........

Thanks for the tip on the RB's. I do use them presently, but maybe it's because they're there and I feel I SHOULD be using them. I'm 6ft. So I'll have to figure out how best to get in without the RB in place, do I need to grab a handle or steering wheel and pull myself in? Or launch myself on the seat which will accelerate wear on the exterior side of the seat?
My 96 Dodge 3/4 ton was likely higher off the ground than the GX, but it had running boards as well, so I grew used to using them.
I can appreciate how the off-roaders here would loath the RBs and want to ditch them as soon as they get the truck (to replace them with sliders at some point I presume), but I am surely but slowly getting more "senior" in my needs regarding vehicles :)

I've grown to like the ash blue mica. Looks grey in some situations, and in others the blue comes out nicely. I know grey cars are the rage right now, but I like a "bit" of color in my grey ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom