My fj60 build... Whats the worst that could happen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tale of the ongoing build that is my baby, my big blue 60 series.

what I've got:
1985 FJ60
-2F motor 270K miles
-H42 Trans
-Stock T-case
-Old Man Emu/ Dakkar Med-Light 4" lift
- Old man Emu steering stabilizer
-33" Dynapro M/T's on 17" Mickey Thompson Classic series 1
-Thule roof rack bars

So a lot of this build is just going to be me throwing stuff at the walls and seeing what sticks, ideas with no sense of practicality. yall feel free to throw ideas at me, I'm always interested too see and hear what other guys are doing to their rigs, as it is awesome inspiration. pics to come soon!

So, what are you thinking of doing?

So, what are you thinking of doing?

theres lots of ideas being thrown around by me and my old man, everything from "lets put it on tracks and mount a 50 cal on it" to a simple paint job and minor restoration. right now I'm looking at trying to re power it with either a lower milage 2F motor or some sort of diesel, as my motor has 270,000 miles and has low compression in 3 cylinders. the problems with going diesel is that i don't want to lift it much more than it already is (maybe a couple inches more) and i don't want to do a Hi-steer conversion. theres also a lot of body work that needs to be done, it got hit in a parking lot and the front and rear passenger doors got smashed in so i've replaced the rear door and repaired the damage to the front. but theres always rust to cut out and patch and that sort if thing (drivers side floor board is rotted out in a strip by the door all the way from the A pillar to the B pillar.) so after it gets all that done is paint and cosmetic stuff (bumpers, lights, winches, ect.)

I think you need a direction first. Will it be a daily driver? Will you use it to go camping, and drive on forest service roads? Will you drive it to Alaska and do the cruiser trek? Do you want to take it to a 4 wheeling park and do the hardest trails? How many miles per year will you put on it? Figure out some of that first, then the priorities in how you approach the build will become more clear.

An approach I recommend in general is to get it running reasonably well and drive it like it was designed for awhile and use that time to enjoy the truck and to discover how you want to use it. With a low milage used 2F (weekend swap) and the lift/tires you have on there, you will have a very capable truck that will take you on many mild to moderate 4 wheeling trails.

I think you need a direction first. Will it be a daily driver? Will you use it to go camping, and drive on forest service roads? Will you drive it to Alaska and do the cruiser trek? Do you want to take it to a 4 wheeling park and do the hardest trails? How many miles per year will you put on it? Figure out some of that first, then the priorities in how you approach the build will become more clear.

An approach I recommend in general is to get it running reasonably well and drive it like it was designed for awhile and use that time to enjoy the truck and to discover how you want to use it. With a low milage used 2F (weekend swap) and the lift/tires you have on there, you will have a very capable truck that will take you on many mild to moderate 4 wheeling trails.

right now it is my daily driver but ive got a 1979 bronco thats about to be finished so i can drive it while working on my cruiser. i want it to be a truck that i can have as a DD but also do things like the cruiser trek and go on overland expeditions

is there a way to achieve the diesel swap without doing a SOA? would a 4-6" overall suspension lift be enough to clear a 6bt on the front axle? i know that there are lots of cummins swap threads but i thought id throw it up here so someone could point me in the right direction and as a place to get my thoughts down so that i don't lose an idea.

If there was any idea that would be OK to lose...I think swapping a 6bt into a 62 is one of them.

But that's just me.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a tire rack for the 60 series? not a bumper replacement, i'm thinking more like the bronco style

I'm sure people have adapted tire racks, but with a heavy tire, you have to do some good engineering to avoid damaging the body with rough use and a heavy tire hanging off the back.

Remember that Toyota makes diesel engines as well, while more difficult to get than the 4bt/6bt/4BD1/2T they are still attainable. The Toyota diesels would net you the LEAST amount of lift needed but would require more money as they are non-us spec.

Also, you have to pull into account the smog/emission requirements for your area based on what you are doing with the truck. If you are overlanding/expeditioning the truck then that will come into play. If you are trailering it to the trails then not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom