Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My alternator failed on me around 120k miles too

Oy. I'm getting close - might have to think about swapping it out next year. Thanks fellas.

Pic! Alt is in.
12027532_10153203128128123_4121324853508889337_n.jpg

very nice

I fixed problems I never knew I had! Truck is peppy, stereo is WAY crisper and louder, and everything is brighter :p

I guess I was closer to dead than I thought!

I fixed problems I never knew I had! Truck is peppy, stereo is WAY crisper and louder, and everything is brighter :p

I guess I was closer to dead than I thought!
haha that's awesome! I'm pretty sure I will go with that alternator also. Hope my current one last a little while longer though since I'm at 99k

Pics will be posted this week sometime as I swap the DS front diff support, do the brakes and front wheel bearings (bluepit). Just have to cross the world and go on a few more trips in the meantime. Work travel sucks!

So I swapped the DS diff support. I posted before that I cracked the PS diff support and replaced it a while back, but the DS was giving a mystery vibration so I ordered up the part (which was reengineered and a different part number). There was a about a 1/8" gap between the frame and the washer, so something was up. In this pic you can see the twist and bend in the rear support arm:

12027249_10153227138708123_8144710390353500432_o.jpg

and in this one, you can see the bend compared to the new one:
12087138_10153227139128123_1543534421940115774_o.jpg

So I guess I bent the DS and cracked the PS awhile back...but she drives a lot nicer now! :p

the bend was so obvious in the length of the arm that I could pass my index finger under the old part and I couldnt even get my halfway to my first knuckle under the new one.

Thanks for the info and pics!! I have a mysterious vibration that is intermentin and I think this might be the cause. I will have to remove my skids tomorrow and check these bushings out. Are the bushings available seperate or is it just the whole arm? Also do you have a diff drop on yours?

No diff drop. You reuse the washer on the bottom of the arms, and the rubber washer on top, but the bushing is pressed in and comes with it. The bushings are not replaceable, and they won't be your problem. THE ARM itself will be. There is a TSB about the DS and PS causing vibrations so I replaced them both over the last few months. The new parts are a complete redesign and are quite obviously much more beefy.

No diff drop. You reuse the washer on the bottom of the arms, and the rubber washer on top, but the bushing is pressed in and comes with it. The bushings are not replaceable, and they won't be your problem. THE ARM itself will be. There is a TSB about the DS and PS causing vibrations so I replaced them both over the last few months. The new parts are a complete redesign and are quite obviously much more beefy.
Okay cool, thanks for the info. I will check with my dealer.

So on my ongoing PM....

I replaced the brakes and had both front rotors warped out of the box. Pulsed the second I put them on (before I even left the driveway). So, I had got some powerstop rotors, got the oil changed, and also found both front tie rod ends were completely toast (I had reused them after a few CV and tie rod breaks). Alignment all done, drives like a DREAM.

Then...I realize the "mystery" vibration I have has is actually FAILED REAR SHOCKS. I was getting wheel hop in the back on the highway and I spotted the rear bouncing in concert...both wheels at once. I guess I must have gone past what an Iron Man shock could do and killed them. I was clued in because the axle droop on the rack when I was doing the brakes was uneven and the axle was floaty.

Icon rear shocks on the way!

Oh yeah, I also got some toggle bolts and hardware to hard mount my rear side panels. They have come loose with the quickfists for my CO2 tank and the other side with the modded up subwoofer.

While I do that I am going to finally mount my Toyota emblem I got for free that says PRADO :)

So I put in the Icon rear shocks. My Iron Man shocks were blown for sure in the accident last year. They were squishy (couldn't hold up the weight of the shock) so I am very happy in my smooth ride again!

12105991_10153248525268123_8411066709406092389_n.jpg

:)

Did URE. Fun and organized place! New shock, brakes, etc worked perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom