Builds GXOG: My 2003 GX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update. Added a few videos.

Good afternoon Dan. Love your truck it is the inspiration for my slow GX build. Quick question, did you use wheel spacers to fit the 285's? I am getting ready to buy tires and I am considering going with 255's but really like the look of your tires. If you did use spacers what size? I looked through your parts list and didn't see spacers listed? Thanks!
P.S. I couldn't find any new videos.

Found the videos, sorry. Still curious about the wheel spacers, thanks again.

No spacers, but I did do UCAs. I would recommend a .5" spacer if you keep stock wheels. I do have some rub. I plan on getting new wheels soon with different backspacing to solve my rubbing though.

Awesome, thanks. Did you ever try to fit a 285 in the stock spare tire location?

Awesome, thanks. Did you ever try to fit a 285 in the stock spare tire location?

Yes. It will fit, but you have to let some air out. :)

cool videos. was that the ATRAC system kicking in when you were experiencing wheelspin? never seen it in action before.

Correct. ATRAC is the only traction device on mine. It works pretty well I would say!

Dan, did you every do the dual battery? I just read this entire thread (again) and didn't see it.

Dan, did you every do the dual battery? I just read this entire thread (again) and didn't see it.

Is there another GX on here with a dual battery? I searched high and low when I put mine in, and I heard there were a few others with one, but I couldn't find any details. I would be curious to see how it was done (even though it won't help me now).

There are a few. My brother did one. ObsessMuch on this forum. He made his own tray and I am hoping he makes me one too :p

Time for an update:

- Added Method Wheels with a much improved offset (-12) and backspacing (4.5") than stock, which will require some body mount chopping this coming Tuesday (thanks ACC!).
- Ordered a High Output alternator (199A at idle, 270A max) from nationstarteralternator.com. They had a real deal alternator vs. just diode stacking so I opted for the big boy.
- Ordered new brakes all around. The rotors are starting to cup and the slots are almost worn away, so I guess it is time :)
- Ordered an ARB power mount and ARB fridge plug to reengineer my Iron Man power since the stock DC plug sucks. I will either plug in (if it fits) or splice the ARB plug onto mine...the screw in nature of the ARB plug is very good for me.
- Also, ordered both sides front wheel bearings pre-assembled (Koyo) from bluepitbearings. Bolting on new bearings in minutes vs. dealing with a press is good stuff.
- Scheduling to have the stock Driveshafts rebuilt (u-joints, clean out the splines, balanced) this week as well.
- Have to order a new front diff damper once I get all the above done, I think the rubber is rotted a bit and causing some vibration. I replaced the PS diff mount and it was a changed design, so I heard the DS was redesigned as was the damper, so I may just get it all and do it once and for all.

Once that stuff is all done, I get to save up for long travel in the rear, then the front in two stages of upgrades.

THEN, I am done until I need tires or other PM (most likely the rack)

Much improved stance:
11918926_10153161642543123_5049267324379973179_n.jpg

Much improved look:
11960048_10153161640413123_3228273732761210802_n.jpg

Love the look

They were local, used, and the right price, I couldn't pass them up! :)

Good service is good!

Hi Dan,

I just shipped your 2 Bluepitbearings.com Toyota 4x4 Premium KOYO front wheel bearing assemblies via Fedex to your GA address. Fedex states scheduled delivery date is 2 business days. The package should arrive Thursday.

It might be a 1 business day delivery, but normally it is 2 to GA. You can check FedEx.com tomorrow for the update of scheduled delivery.

I shipped the package to be delivered with NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED. If this IS NOT CONVENIENT for you, then Contact FedEx with your tracking number to make other arrangements. The Fedex tracking number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

My 500 piece hub order from the factory in Japan has been delayed for 5 weeks so I will be substituting Dorman hubs. The KOYO OEM bearing is the SAME and the Toyota seal, Toyota axle bolts, and Toyota O-ring are still ALL Toyota OEM parts.

I just sent you a refund via PayPal for $40.00 for the inconvenience.
Thanks again for your order.
Andy Taylor

Body mount chop done. Just waiting on the other parts to start a wrenching day!

Looking good! Your build was definitely one of the builds that inspired me to go the GX route.

So, does this mean you're keeping the GX and not getting that Mercedes G Wagon?

Yeah. I decided I can keep the 80 and the GX (both paid for) a lot cheaper than trying to go the G route.

Plus, I can get long travel for the GX and give the 80 to my son in 2 years when he turns 16!

Great choice on wheels Dan, that really set your rig off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom