My 1974 FJ40 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a new dash cap. Before pics now, after pics tomorrow. Overall a good fit. I did butcher cutting the hole for the under dash light though. At least it's somewhat hidden!
image-1843621977.jpg
image-1626987745.jpg

Wow. I love your cruisers. I hope mine turns out that nice. Great colors too.

windshield info

I can see clearly now.,,,, new windshield and seal (thanks Beno).

Snowdog, we share the same year 40 and I've read through your thread. Very cool.

How much for the windshield through Beno? Did you do the install yourself? Time etc? I have some surface "scratches" and normal pitting for a 40 year old 40. Tried buffing them out with the CeriGlass product. Better, but still noticeable. Even used an orbital polisher and a Bon Ami past to no avail.

Keep up the great work and we both know 74 is the best year! :p

Snowdog, we share the same year 40 and I've read through your thread. Very cool. How much for the windshield through Beno? Did you do the install yourself? Time etc? I have some surface "scratches" and normal pitting for a 40 year old 40. Tried buffing them out with the CeriGlass product. Better, but still noticeable. Even used an orbital polisher and a Bon Ami past to no avail. Keep up the great work and we both know 74 is the best year! :p

Thanks! I agree on the 74- there are tons of really cool ones on mud! For my windshield, I took it to a local auto glass shop and had them cut one using mine as the template. I got the new seal from Beno and I think it was less than $50 with the mud discount. Having the shop cut a new one and install was around $165. Well worth it as I can now actually see when driving at night! Enjoy that 74!

Well, got the new OEM clutch master and slave installed. All bled and shifting nicely now! I think what happened to the old slave- a bolt hole in my bellhousing/adapter had stripped, allowing it to get loose and then popping out. We couldn't find a heli coil that would fit anywhere in town, so we tapped it to a 7/16" bolt and had to slightly ream out one hole on the slave. Works perfectly. Noticed that the rod in the old slave was shorter and had a larger end than the new stock slave (see pic). So we used that rod instead in the new slave. No slipping, clutch is fully engaging and disengaging as best we can tell. No noise from the TO bearing anyway. Happy camper!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Miss ya neighbor. Hope all is well in the new locale. Would love to see pics of your 40 in it's new digs!

Hey Mike! Miss you guys as well! Pretty much settled in now. Have taken the 40 for some nice cruises. Thank goodness I fixed the play in the steering box before moving. With the crazy winds out here, driving would have been difficult! Send pics of the green monster when she's rolling again!

Hope you're well. Your old Qjet has a happy new home in my 40 now. 2 days later my clutch master went just like your post #134! I'm gonna have to ask you to stop breaking things.

Thanks John! Glad to hear the old qjet is working for you. They are great carbs once dialed in. I'm ready for things to stop breaking as well! Seems like every time I think it will settle and run without problems for awhile, something else breaks! I swear I don't have that much left that hasn't been addressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom