My 1973 FJ40 Frame Off Resto Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI There,

My dad and I recently purchased a 73 FJ40 from the original owner in Lexington, KY. The man had previously lived in California before moving to Lexington 20 years ago so the truck was fairly rust free. The FJ had set in his barn since he had moved to Lexington.

The guy had done a V8 conversion with a 61 Buick motor. He had also installed a 75 FJ front differential and a 75 4spd transmission. Also installed was a aux fuel tank in the rear in-between the frame rails, the differentials were also converted to Posi-Track 4:10 Corvette gears to handle the motor, a Todd Toyota Over-Drive was installed, and power steering was the last thing he added. The previous suspension set-up was a SOA but seemed to be done poorly. The body supports were also cut back to make room for the V8 headers.

Overall the truck seemed to be solid with only a few rust spots in the common areas. It was about half way disassembled when we were looking at it so it was difficult to tell if everything was there. His grandson son had started to take interest in it but soon lost the desire to complete it.

I have been taking some time to look through other peoples builds and I am constantly being encouraged and am amazed at what people are bringing back to life!

Thanks for viewing,

Nolan

Some photos of it when we first picked it up.
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG
IMG_2448.JPG

With that tailgate, it might be a soft top. It looks like a good project, have fun. -Steve

nice project, and a great colour ... plenty of options including returning it to its Toyota traditions ... welcome to spend, spend , spend, but it is fun, fun, fun!!!!

With that tailgate, it might be a soft top. It looks like a good project, have fun. -Steve
Yeah it was originally a soft top from the factory. The PO's wife had thrown it out along with the frame before we got there :bang: We recently purchased a hard top and doors to convert but are going to keep the tailgate! Its one of my favorite features about it!

it has the FST door hinges, a hole next to the glovebox for darth vader light etc. what does the vin say?
By FST door hinges do you mean Full Soft Top? From the factory it was ordered as a soft top. He gave us soft doors but could those be the original ones? What do you mean by "Darth Vadar" light?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom