My 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been working on this project for over 2 years...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just in time for summer!
Looks nice, good job.

Looks good. Everything looks complete and original. Nice year by the way.

Nice truck !!

:cheers:

Wow, great looking truck.
Time to drive & enjoy it!

I just doubled down on the madness and bought a project 1970 to go with my '72.
(Opposite end of TN near Knoxville).
Your engine bay pictures already answered one question, thanks.

The "TOYOTA" and "4WD" emblems for the back drivers side corner are still available from Toyota if you are interested.

Nice upgrade to get rid of the single circuit non-power brake master cylinder.
I'd be interested in what model/year brake booster & master you used if it still has the drum brakes on both axles.

Last edited:
How did you fit your roll bar with the full length jump seats.
I have the same year and guessing you had some special mounting brackets made.
A picture would be great. Thanks in advance.

Now that's a clean engine bay :clap:

Obviously love the license plate
The tires are 215/75/15 as I tried to maintain as close to original as possible. I wasn't able to find a 205/75/15 in BFG as I think it's discontinued so I moved up a tad... Wheels and caps bought from cruiser corps

Wow, great looking truck.
Time to drive & enjoy it!

I just doubled down on the madness and bought a project 1970 to go with my '72.
(Opposite end of TN near Knoxville).
Your engine bay pictures already answered one question, thanks.

The "TOYOTA" and "4WD" emblems for the back drivers side corner are still available from Toyota if you are interested.

Nice upgrade to the single circuit non-power brake master cylinder.
I'd be interested in what model/year brake booster & master you used if it still has the drum brakes on both axles.
I have always wanted one and this one fell in my lap... It's a 70 born in May... I was born in 70... In February... The guy before me had 2... One show quality unit that was over the top and this one that he was restoring for 10 years slowly... He ran out of time... Patience and money and one day I get a call with a "too good to be true" value associated for what is a rolling chassis (kind of) full of parts.. I then had to find out where he was on every project and either continue.... Modify the plan... Or scrap the plan.... Which was hell but it has come together finally. It will never see rain or dirt and will be my weekend car to drive and just enjoy... I love it and have asked that it remain in the family for ever

Did you have the dash pad recovered? Most don't have the stitching but I like it, it almost gives an upgraded look without detracting from originality.

SOR makes/used to make bracket/spacers to space out the seats to use with a roll bar

i wouldn't use the valve cover breather ... there should be an elbow fitting under the weber aircleaner that it should go to.

Beautiful cruiser !!!

welcome to Mud :)

Your '70 and the one I have were built in the same month, May 1970, Vin# FJ40-83475.

Your engine looks like it might be a newer F.
The one I have has the oil filler neck sticking out of the distributor side of the engine block instead of on the valve cover.
Engine serial number puts it around the same time in early 1970, F-314370.
This one is also complete but dismantled... a pile of parts in boxes.... a future project.

"Your '70 and the one I have were built in the same month, May 1970, Vin# FJ40-83475.

Your engine looks like it might be a newer F.
The one I have has the oil filler neck sticking out of the distributor side of the engine block instead of on the valve cover.
Engine serial number puts it around the same time in early 1970, F-314370.
This one is also complete but dismantled... a pile of parts in boxes.... a future project."

Actually there is an improved 1f in that year range on limited models that had a better oiling system indicated by the oil fill placement change. "1.5F" This was prior to their decision to make the improvements standard and a few changes later the 2f came up to play.

The side filler F155 was until 71'

The filler on valve cover F155 w/remote oil filter was used 72-73

9/73-12/74 F155 also known as the 1.5F (to us) had the improved oiling system

To pinpoint exact year just look on the engine number stamp on pass side or the engine block cast number on the Drs side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom