Muncie M22 4spd Transmission w/ overdrive and 3spd Toyota transfer case 1968 FJ40

Discussion in 'For Sale - Parts' started by lukebz, May 7, 2009.

Fetching feeds...

Classifieds Guidelines... short but sweet

- Prices: It is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that you POST A PRICE for each item. Don't ask for bids or offers, this is not EBay. And please, no prices in the Title.
- Location: IH8MUD reaches over 250 unique countries per day. Please include your state/country in the Title.
- Sold Items: Threads remain for price/product research. Make a final Reply to note your item is sold.

Tie Rod Media LLC does not get involved in transactions or disputes. PLEASE perform your own due diligence to ensure a smooth transaction.
  1. lukebz

lukebz

I a selling everything from the motor back from my 1968 FJ40 that had a V8 conversion done in 74.

This includes:
    Bell housing
    Torque converter
    Flywheel
    Muncie 4spd (M22) transmission
    Overdrive unit
    Stock 3spd transfer case

all functional and in great shape with NO abuse. all dry, desert conditions for the last 30 years too

not really familiar with the value of these parts...so for now they are going up for $1000.00 obo

I have the orig small block 327 from the 1966 Corvette that this motor and tranny came from. Will consider selling as a whole if interested.

Attached Files:

2. lukebz

lukebz

will consider trades too
  3. Dudleyfj40

Dudleyfj40 SILVER Star

Don't see any overdrive there. Are you saying the overdrive is added into the tranny?
  4. lukebz

lukebz

its a Hone-O-Drive unit...popular in the 70's muscle car era..the reason it's behind this Muncie..they are very rare and in demand with the hot rod guys fom what i've been hearing. here is a link if you want to see what people say about them : baldwin motion "hone-o-drive"? - Chevelle Tech
  5. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz

6. lukebz

lukebz

toomanytoyzz

i haven't mentioned that the "bone-o'drive" was the most amazing thing ever manufactured and is amazing for OR use, but thanks and i will make sure to look for any posts you have in the classifieds and make sure to put something up mentioning how it's a POS to help your sale.
  7. pjohnson

pjohnson SILVER Star

I had a 327 and M21 a while back that no one in the off-road community wanted. Too many other good options out there. However, I did manage to sell both for a good price to the Muscle Car restoration community. Just a thought...

Phil
  8. orangefj45

orangefj45 GOLD Star

nicely done! that's a great way to make an asshat out of yourself! :rolleyes:

luke, seperate that stuff and sell the trans to the hot rodders like phil mentioned. sell the rest of ebay to find it a new home.......

best of luck to ya!
  9. Tommy the Cat

Tommy the Cat

If you separate the stuff and the M22 can be returned to service for a car, I would be interested in that.
  10. KT40

KT40 SILVER Star

I know that if it is truly a M22 Rockcrusher close ratio 4 speed box out of a corvette, the box alone can be worth your asking price! I agree with Georg, sell it to the muscle car world but I think you should research the value a little more. Good Luck!
  11. orangefj45

orangefj45 GOLD Star

m21 - m22

i seriously doubt that this trans is an m22 rock-crusher, looks like an m21 to me. should be fairly easy to tell by doing a little research. a good used m22 is worth at least $750-1000. the m21 is worth less than half of that .............

some ifo here:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiacdude428/tranny.html

12. Enigma

Enigma

My first 40 (and the one I still have now) came with a M22 in it, fun as hell to drive on the street. That combined with the V8, 31" tires, and the 4.11 diff's, beat quite a few muscle cars in some street drags.
    It also ripped apart 3 transfer cases while grabbing 4th gear rubber and other stupid things, but one of those case savers would have been a godsend.
    I now have a SM465 in it, much more offroad friendly, but not as crisp shifting.
    So nothing useful to add, but good luck with your sale! :)
  13. lukebz

lukebz

thank you very much for your experience with the Muncie!!! im no tranny expert but do know that both the 327 AND the Muncie came from a 1966 Corvette which was wrecked in 1972....owner bought a 40 and said "why not put a V8 in it?"ran it for hunting and dune trips...guess before i sell i should know exactly but the PO did say it was an M22
  14. KT40

KT40 SILVER Star

NICE!
    You should just look at the ones on e-bay--BIG $$$$

So identify what you have and price it accordingly-Don't give it away!
  15. lukebz

lukebz

will do, thank you...haven't looked on Ebay yet
  16. lukebz

lukebz

pic of other side

other side

Attached Files:

17. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz

Just relaying what I've heard in the past about these units, and you're more than welcome to offer your opinions on stuff I'm selling. You act like it's never been done on this site before.
  18. pjohnson

pjohnson SILVER Star

It's hard to tell the M20 & M21 from the M22 without close detail. However, the NUMBERS on the side of the case will tell you everything.

Try these links:
    Muncie 4 Speed Transmissions
    Muncie 4 Speed Transmissions and Parts

Also, if this is a matching combination from a Corvette, DO NOT SEPERATE.... They are worth more to a Corvette restorer as a package.
    You can advertise in Hemmings http://www.hemmings.com/ or probably a dozen Corvette restorer forums to find a buyer.

Phil
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  19. whitey45

whitey45 SILVER Star

Luke, The trans is most likely an m21.I dont see a lower drain plug which only 22's came with in 66.The only positve way to identify is to pull the side cover and check the gears.the hone o drive is rare and was used in baldwin motion camaros and corvettes so they tend to get good money now days,,I sold one for 1500 a couple of years ago,and sold the shifter alone for 500 but it has to be the correct one they used back in the day.The muncie would need a mainshaft change to be used in a car again and a new tailshaft housing.the m21 is a 2.20 first gear so not very cruiser friendly.This combo was probably done a long time ago.I would love to see a better pic of the hone o drive..Hope this helps
  20. lukebz

lukebz

just the type of comments i can appreciate! thank you whitey45, i will have the motor and tranny out this week to better tell what exactly i have. thanks for the advice