Mudguard vents?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a newbie and from Oz and I'm curious about the vents on the front guards of the 60's you guys get over there. ???I presume that they are a vent to let the heat out of the engine bay? How robust are they? What do they cost and are they hard to get? I live in the Top End of Australia and I'm looking to find a way to get the my old girl to run a little cooler up here in the tropical heat. 8)

Hi Newbie :)

Are you talking about the vent on the left front fender?

It's an intake for a carburetor cooling fan. The fan is automatically controlled to blow outside air IN at the carburetor - only AFTER you turn the key off. It runs on a timer and a temperture sensor on the exhaust manifold.

The fan is strong enough to move some air toward the hot side of the engine, but it would seem to be working against the air flow from the radiator fan if you tried to use it while running. Probably not what you're looking for. Have you checked your cooling system out?

By the way, what model 60 do you have?

Some of the photos I've seen on the net have had the vents on both sides. All I would do is place the vents in the guards and allow the radiator fan to push the warm air out. I've seen people lift/space the rear of their bonnets but it looks like crap. My Toy is a Australian 9/87 HJ60 (first of the twin h/light models). Nah, the cooling sys is fine, except when I'm cruisin at 120kph towing a 1 tonne trailer, the gauge creeps up to bout 3/4 mark. Backing off to 100kph brings it back to half on the gauge though. Mind you this is on a 45degC day!!

Oh, I forgot. Down here normally a HJ60 runs a 2H six cyl 4l diesel. I've upgraded to a Chev 6.2l diesel out of one of your Hummers.

You're right the vents are on both sides, but only one side is functional. There is an inner fender so I'm not positive but I think the vent trim is for show on the right side. Still your idea might work if you cut a hole through the fender(s).

Sounds like you're on the right track, safe bet the chevy 6.2 is bigger than the 2H so air circulation could be the issue.

Thanks for the heads up pismojim. Dont spose you know how much and where I can order some from? Also whats this MAF or Man-A-Fre shop all you blokes mention every now and then?

Cheers Woody. There is quite a bit nice gear in those couple of sites! I'm gunna check out the exchange & freight rates.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom