Builds Mouldy Mario gets defoliated. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really dislike it when bad stuff happens. I moved a couple of things around in the super dodgey garden shed spray booth tonight and one of the brake drums fell onto the concrete floor and cracked. DAMN SUMBITCH. Looks like new drums. Perhaps that was the Landcruiser Gods way of saying, "BEN, YOU TIGHT ARSE DON'T USE THEM OLD DRUMS!!"

IMG_4962.JPG

It's not all doom and gloom though. I spent a couple of hours this afternoon and this evening wire wheeling the drive shafts. Tonight, I masked them up and shot them in undercoat. Hopefully tomorrow I get the springs and the driveshafts into topcoat.

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

Ben when instances like your drum happen, I often wonder why it didn't occur BEFORE I put all of that hard work into cleaning it up?

:deadhorse:

A quick update. Last week I took one of the leaves from the rear springs into my local spring works. Two of the clamps that hold the springs in line had worn really badly. So I wanted to get them replaced. My spring man suggested just to clean it up and put a bead of weld into the groove. So I did that this afternoon. Worked out pretty well and saved myself a few bucks.

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

After that, I bolted the spring packs back together and gave them a quick wipe with some prep wash. I then strung them up and gave them and the drive shafts a lick with some top coat. Overall, pretty happy (Primarily because I don't have to wire wheel anything for a while).

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

View attachment 1312255

Last edited:
I really dislike it when bad stuff happens. I moved a couple of things around in the super dodgey garden shed spray booth tonight and one of the brake drums fell onto the concrete floor and cracked. DAMN SUMBITCH. Looks like new drums. Perhaps that was the Landcruiser Gods way of saying, "BEN, YOU TIGHT ARSE DON'T USE THEM OLD DRUMS!!"

View attachment 1311891

Nothing worse than trying to sumbitch something and that sumbitch breaks! I feel your pain brother.

I am celebrating a small victory tonight. I finally got the driveshafts back together. This is the first time I have fitted a universal joint and they went back together much easier than coming apart. A couple of prop shaft glamour shots. But first a few 'before' shots.

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

Last edited:
I checked a couple of manuals prior to putting them back together, just to make sure that I had all the grease nipples facing in the right direction. I used to have an old 60 series and the only way I could get a grease gun onto one of the uni joints was to unbolt the drive shaft, which was a PITA. I also used the 'give it a whack with a hammer to relieve the pressure trick' for one joint that was a bit stiff. I'm not sure why or how, but it worked a treat. (When I catch up with my mother, I'll see if this trick also works for arthritis!!)

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

Last edited:
With the proper technique (which you seem to have mastered) they usually do go in easier than they come out. Another fine job Ben!

Cheers!

With the proper technique (which you seem to have mastered) they usually do go in easier than they come out. Another fine job Ben!

Cheers!
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how they came out. I thought about having the rear drive shaft balanced, but I think I will wait and see how it drives. It had no obvious dents or damage. Cheers, Ben

Well, Mario is finally back on his own four wheels. Over the weekend, I got the rear hubs and wheel bearings back together and then hung the rear springs and bolted the diff housing into place. The axles are in place temporarily until I can get the diff rebuilt. Hopefully during the week I'll pick up new brake drums and get the steering rods into place.

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

Not much to report. I got the steering arms into place with the new ball joints and the steering damper bolted in. I used the manual and measured the length of steering arms accordingly. It will be interesting to see once I get a wheel alignment done how far off the mark I was.

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom