Monthly help a member work on a cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusty: What about the front diff/locker on the Hundy?
I have the parts, just need to clear a Saturday. I'll really need your help on that, the IFS stuff is still scary to me. A knuckle re-build is pretty straight forward in comparison.

Guess there wasn't enough beer to solicit any help.

I wouldnt mind the help! mines in pieces.... but i need to get the parts first. JUST got the check from the insurance today! almost a month later...

Just let me know. If the timing works out, I will be happy to give you a hand.

Jack

I have a bunch of time off coming up, give me a call if you want an extra pair of hands.

how abou the second weekend in january..the 15th and we can put discoverylc's truck back together..

Could use a professional

Whats up Gents,

I have a 94 LC with 350,416 miles. Purchased it 41,000 miles ago. I rebuilt the front axle, took the front diff to Precision in Carson for inspection and to replace the pinion seal. First thing first, they screwed me on the seal. It leaks like a son-of-gun. They stated all was well with the diff. I replaced all bearings and seals in the front a reinstaled the diff. I replaced the spindle bushings because the passenger side seemed to spin in the spindle (very weird). all was well for about a month. I continue to get the clicking and poping on both sides when turning, probably should have replaced the burfieds. Anyway I now get an klunk when driving in reverse in addition to what appears to be an occasional hard shift while slowing down.

I would appreciate if one of you guys would be willing to take it on test drive and give me your opinion and suggestions. I have been laid off since Febuary so anytime works for me.

Also I need to replace the passenger side mirror, All I need is the mirror itself, the housing is fine. The plastic that hold the screw took a dump. So if you know anyone please let me know.

Thanks for your time and enjoy your holidays

J

With that many miles on the rig, I would guess the pinion seal they put in might be o.k. if they didn't screw up the install, but the yoke might have a groove worn in it, allowing oil to leak out.

I have to agree with Will, if they didn't bugger up the seal upon install, then most likely the flange has a groove in it, which calls for a replacement.

As far as the birfields, with that many miles, not sure if swapping them from one side to the other will help much. Mine were clicking @ 160k on hard turns, when I re-geared/rebuilt the front axle, I swapped the birfs from side to side and that got rid of most of the clicking. I could still barely hear them if I was under a load, with a tight turn (offroad). Couldn't hear them just driving.

Regarding the clunking, it is either in the diffs or possibly the drive shafts. If the u-joints are worn out or the splines on the d-shafts are worn, you will get that clunking. Have you checked the driveshafts? Not saying they didn't do something wrong on the front third member, and I know it's a huge pain to remove, but if you can't find anything wrong with the driveshafts, then you have to go with the last thing that was changed/worked on.

Good luck.

Jack

Thanks for the reply Will and Jack. I will check out the driveshafts when it warms up a little ( Ha )! Hope you gents have a good new year.

Thanks again,

J

O'h come on......... It's a balmy 26 inside my shed right now, with the heat on.... I can almost feel my fingers as long as I stand in front of the heater..

get a bigger heater I got it up to 38f yesterday in the shop...

Pansies, I've spent the past two days out in the garage.:flipoff2:

The Tuffy console is installed in the 60.:bounce:

the only thing i need help with is all my chores take two hands and i dont want to set my beer down:cheers:

what he didn't say was he did it with the truck running and the heater full blast.... :D:D:D

Who was WHINING about not being able to feel his hands in my garage!?!?!?!:princess::flipoff2:

Id actually use the heater ALL THE TIME except the lighting SUCKS in my garage so I tough it out with the garage door open to be able to see.
Also, the garage is DOWN RIGHT DEPRESSING with the doors shut. Feels like Im in a dungeon.

Who was WHINING about not being able to feel his hands in my garage!?!?!?!:princess::flipoff2:

Id actually use the heater ALL THE TIME except the lighting SUCKS in my garage so I tough it out with the garage door open to be able to see.
Also, the garage is DOWN RIGHT DEPRESSING with the doors shut. Feels like Im in a dungeon.
That was day three:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom