Monstaliner'd the '62 this weekend (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rolled it on with the rollers supplied in the kit. Special texture roller.

Dan.

Looks like a blast..thanks for posting!

So after almost a year of the Monstaliner paint job what are your thoughts. I finally have a truck of my own and wondering what to do paint wise as mine seems very similar to the description of yours.

Also, do you find that the Monstaliner has any shine to it? Would be somewhat nice but at the same time I understand this is bed liner and not meant to be shiny. Thinking I might do the inside rear of the truck to match, when/if I decide to do this. Just ordered some color chips.

So after almost a year of the Monstaliner paint job what are your thoughts. I finally have a truck of my own and wondering what to do paint wise as mine seems very similar to the description of yours.

Also, do you find that the Monstaliner has any shine to it? Would be somewhat nice but at the same time I understand this is bed liner and not meant to be shiny. Thinking I might do the inside rear of the truck to match, when/if I decide to do this. Just ordered some color chips.

I saw your post, I was going to link to this one but you found me! Actually, after I finished it all, I ended up selling the truck to my neighbor, the paint was one of the things he really liked about it. I see it all the time. I think it's held up well, I haven't looked close up lately, but it was a very solid solution to my situation. I had fun doing it, it was relatively quick and easy and the results were really good. I'm actually looking for some kind of other project where I can use the Monstaliner, thinking about a trailer build of some kind.

Under the same circumstances, I'd do the same thing, it sounds like your end goal was a lot like mine, no trailer queen kept in the garage, but wanted something super durable and looks good too. The thing I liked about the product was that it doesn't have rubber crumbs so it's not spiky-rough, and the sheen is something like a semi-gloss but not quite dull.

Good luck, post up what you do and some pics of the finished product.

Dan.

Cool thanks for the info Dan, much appreciated. Yeah the more that I look at it this is seeming like the best solution. I would love to paint the truck the original 8B4 midnight metallic blue but a "decent" paint job is going to cost me at least $1000-$1500 with the only exception being that I either do it myself, borrow someone's paint equipment, or take it to somewhere like Maaco. The end result will still be the same in that my dogs nails will scratch the back gate when they jump out of the rear and I will get the inevitable "pin stripes" when doing trail runs.

So from what you are saying, the "patina" is more of like a semi-gloss or satin finish? That's not bad at all. If you are looking for something to put on your trailer I saw that they have another product that is more of a "rust inhibitor" paint than the thick monstaliner product. Check it out as I was thinking of getting some and using it on my axles, frame, and underbody when I eventually get around to that stuff.

That looks nice! Mine is sooo corse, that it picks up ever little piece of anything blowing by.

Here's a few close-ups of the texture. Not the best phone pics.

Dan.

Hurculiner-1.jpg

Wow.. yeah see that is NOT what I want.. Watching their video it seems like after you put on the second coat basically you can go over it again with the roller as it is more dry to pick up the texture. Is that what you did Ben?

Alright. One question, for those of you who have painted the entire truck, did you remove all the trims, or just tape them off. How was refitting the trims, with now loner thickness also? Also if you did more than just roll only the outside, did anybody roll around the door seals, if so, did you get any wind noise because of the seals touching liner compared to paint?? I got a rig the other day, where somebody bed lined the door seals, and now you can't have a conversation inside it. Just curious. I guess the proper way would be to paint with normal stuff then mask the contact area and remove after lining, leaving the "paint to paint" surface. Just trying to get all my thought done, before doing this this summer. ;)

Thanks Cody Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Alright. One question, for those of you who have painted the entire truck, did you remove all the trims, or just tape them off. How was refitting the trims, with now loner thickness also? Also if you did more than just roll only the outside, did anybody roll around the door seals, if so, did you get any wind noise because of the seals touching liner compared to paint?? I got a rig the other day, where somebody bed lined the door seals, and now you can't have a conversation inside it. Just curious. I guess the proper way would be to paint with normal stuff then mask the contact area and remove after lining, leaving the "paint to paint" surface. Just trying to get all my thought done, before doing this this summer. ;)

Great question in there Cody, and I was thinking something along the same with regards to the refitting the emblems and what not. I plan to make my finish, if I go this route, as smooth as possible so that is probably one factor that you have to think about.

With regards to your current issue with the wind noise around the seals, could that be from broken down seals? Should I go this route I am going to get a little extra of whatever the lower color is so I can do the inside of the rear (side panel areas, floor and gates) so that it matches but that will be the only interior I will do. I figure you could probably run a sander over some areas to bring the texture down to a flatter, more consistent surface if you needed.

Wow.. yeah see that is NOT what I want.. Watching their video it seems like after you put on the second coat basically you can go over it again with the roller as it is more dry to pick up the texture. Is that what you did Ben?

http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.htm

I went a little wild and used 3 gallons(about 2.5 coats(but 3+ on the hood & top).

Could have done a good job with 1.5 gallons. I did remove most of the trim and taped everything else.

I can not send pic via PM, so I'm posting some pic, from request.

Day one

Day two

and first trip to Reno, at friends house.

first day with the 62-1.jpg

first day with 62-1.jpg

first trip to Reno in the 62-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well I know this is now off topic. But the seals them selves arnt the issue it's also not on a cruiser, but same concept, where seals are on door, and the seal seat is on body. but in my case the top was spray lined in and out, so the "cab" seal seats are lined also.
I also thought about sanding it down, but wasn't sure how it would look. Or if it was possible to maybe scribe above where it seals and peel Back the liner. To reveille the fiberglass beneath. And have a smooth surface again. :).

And a couple of more. Sorry about the threadJack:p

Grey back-1.jpg

Drive lamp.-1.jpg

HL guards-1.jpg

How long did the smell linger after the recommended cure time?

I did mine last summer in black. It's been great. Dirt does get into the texture. It doesn't bother me. The one thing it did was to make the truck much more quiet. I used a two gallon kit. I really didn't notice much smell lingering long after cure, but I did mine in really hot weather, and it kicks a lot quicker than they say it does. Surprisingly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom