Monache Meadows 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Took a quick trip up to Monache Meadows this past weekend with Ken Kemasa. It was our 5th annual Dana Adams Memorial Trip. Short story, after an inaugural trip to Monache in Sept. 2009, I had my heart attack in October. Dana Adams who had organized the trip with Ken emails me in January with similar symptoms, etc. and on the same meds as I was on. After three days at UCLA Hospital, they discharged him. Sadly, Dana passed away not two weeks later of a heart attack. We've been trying, unsuccessfully to make this an annual trip. Haven't been in a couple of years and this year Ken and I made it up there for a very quiet, relaxing weekend at our favorite campsite.

Needless to say, water levels were at an all time low! There was a little, and I mean little water flow past the campground on the South Fork of the Kern River. Ken and I took a hike down river to see where it ended as there was NO water in the river out in Monache Meadow! Not 2-3 miles downstream, there was one final small puddle of water and nothing after that. We walked another good mile or so past there and saw nothing but a dry rocky river bed.

Here are a few pics. Up/down river and the crossing. In a 'normal' year none of those rocks are visable. End of the river and the meadow.

Monache Meadows 2015 003.JPG
Monache Meadows 2015 004.JPG
Monache Meadows 2015 005.JPG
Monache Meadows 2015 006.JPG
Monache Meadows 2015 007.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can't believe it's already been five years since his death. I started a lunch club with Trailcrew and Dana was there for nearly every lunch, great conversation. I remember his funeral being nearly standing room only. Tough loss. Such an interesting guy.

Ywp. Hit me hard too after what I'd just been thru and the email exchanges he and I had about the treatments we were going thru on our hearts!

dammit Brent! i woulda went...
Maybe I'll get the boy and go see his grove of trees in LA then.

lets ink it for next year, after this godzilla El Nino , it should be good and full of water.

I'll second Pablo, we were just researching Monache then you posted this. Next year sounds like a great idea, it's only fitting that what was to be the next engine of cruiser make it up there on his memorial trip.

Wow, what water? It's scary how low it is.

soo....coming up soon..anyone?

Dana and Jill joined Candice and me for dinner while they were visiting Atlanta shortly before he passed. I remember emailing him back and forth while he was in the hospital getting the tests run. Next thing you know, he was gone. He was a good dude. I hope that Jill is getting along good these days.

Smitty

Dana and Jill joined Candice and me for dinner while they were visiting Atlanta shortly before he passed. I remember emailing him back and forth while he was in the hospital getting the tests run. Next thing you know, he was gone. He was a good dude. I hope that Jill is getting along good these days.

Smitty

So you are at fault! Must have been what he had for dinner before the flight back from Atlanta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom