mixing regular coolant with world standard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the board quickly and didn't find a duplicate question.
I have a very small coolant leak on the top radiator hose in my LX. It's even less of a leak and more of a burp or a squirt when the coolant warms up and just a little bit squirts out. It doesn't even look like I'm losing an appreciable amount of liquid from the reservoir.
I plan on replacing the clamps and that should solve the issue. my question is can I top up if necessary with regular old prestone pre-mixed on top of the Toyota world standard that's in it? I don't really plan on taking advantage of the full interval of the Toyota fluid because it's not that expensive to change coolant every 30k or so.

Thanks.

Living in TX, you can top up with plain old water.

I agree water is ok in very small quantities. I suggest you not mix antifreeze types/brands. If you need to add more than maybe a pint to top off, get the right Toyota coolant (WS is trans fluid) and fix the leak.

If you have to use water , use Distilled, Deionized, or in a pinch, bottled water.

Toyota coolant isn't much more expensive than parts store coolant, $13-14 a gallon is what I paid recently. I have read Zerex Asian 50/50 can be added to Toyota long life or Super long life. Looking at the MSDS it appears close, and it comes in blue or red. If you cant find the Zerex Asian, I believe that the most important difference you need to pay attention to is choosing a coolant that is "silicate free" or OAT, HOAT technology.

Here is the MSDS for the Toyota Long Life and Zerex Asian coolants.

Good luck, and fix that leak, your dog or someones dog might slurp up some of that leaked coolant.

Screen shot 2016-07-26 at 9.10.08 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-07-26 at 9.11.06 AM.png

I searched the board quickly and didn't find a duplicate question.
I have a very small coolant leak on the top radiator hose in my LX. It's even less of a leak and more of a burp or a squirt when the coolant warms up and just a little bit squirts out. It doesn't even look like I'm losing an appreciable amount of liquid from the reservoir.
I plan on replacing the clamps and that should solve the issue. my question is can I top up if necessary with regular old prestone pre-mixed on top of the Toyota world standard that's in it? I don't really plan on taking advantage of the full interval of the Toyota fluid because it's not that expensive to change coolant every 30k or so.

Thanks.
You did not say what year, there was a change in (2003 IIRC) to SLL from LL.

I agree with @abuck99 "If you have to use water, use Distilled, Deionized, or in a pinch, bottled water." Never put water that has minerals in unless emergence, and then flush out at fist chance.

I Stick with Toyota coolant always.

If your small tube from radiator cap neck is the hose your referring too that goes to reservoir it's no big deal, they tend to drip a bit with age. If it's the top radiator hose going to engine, fix today.

Fill reservoir to cold line on cold morning when engine is cold. When topping during summer when temp are above ~50* F go a little above cold line ~1-2", it will go down in winter when temp are below ~20* F.

The who "mineral water" in your cooling system myth has been busted.
Living in TX he could use 100% water in his cooling system with no problems.
As long as it doesn't get below freezing he's fine.

Not a good idea.

Another gem from you. It was the serpentine belt advice you gave recently that peaked my curiosity at first. 100% Plain Water is the better thermal conductor, but it will ruin your water pump impeller in short time due to cavitation. Aside from mineral deposits..

Per Toyota TSB, LL and SLL are missible, i.e. you can mix red and pink. So, the above advice on Zerex is valid. And since OP posited that the cost isn't his primary consideration, why doesn't he stop by a Toyota dealer and get a gallon of SLL. Aside from its theraputic value, this thread is redundant

Distilled water is suggested.

Another gem from you. It was the serpentine belt advice you gave recently that peaked my curiosity at first. 100% Plain Water is the better thermal conductor, but it will ruin your water pump impeller in short time due to cavitation. Aside from mineral deposits..

I'm full of decades and millions of miles of these kinds of "gems"
1-I never said he should use just water, just that he could.
2-the amount of water he's going to add isn't enough to matter this side of the arctic circle.
3-cavitation wouldnt be an issue in the short term.
4-mineral deposits myth has been busted.
5-talk to any mechanic who isn't trying to sell you anything, he'll tell you to leave the serpentine belt alone unless it's making noise or is damaged by a seized pulley/bad tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom