Mixing Paint for spray gun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
I have a paint gun that came with my Air Compressor.. I want to paint the undercarriage of my 80 with some black paint: i wanted to know what I needed to do this, also how I would mix the paint, and any techniques on doing it correctly. This would be my first time painting with this gun. I am used to using the rattle can approach, but for this project i would like to use the spray gun...... Thanks

Each brand/type of paint has it's own mixture. Your paint supplier can answer all thoes mixing questions. As long as you have a gun with two adjusments, one for width of pattern, and one for flow rate, just adjust it where you're happy. Try a throw away piece of cardboard or the like first.

rustoleum.jpg

This stuff comes premixed :D i dont see the need for a spray gun on the bottom of your truck

You can buy Rustoleum at Home Depot for $8 a quart or just over $20 a gallon. Mixed with enamel reducer it can be sprayed though your paint gun.
For cheap paint, I like Krylon too. Drys faster. Costs about the same as Rustoleum. Needs to be thinned with laquer thinner. I found it at a hardware store.
If your budget allows and you want to use automotive grade paint, look for a single stage urethane with hardener. A generic will cost you around $50 a quart with hardner though.

I will be checking out the rustoleum paint at home depot, is there a special mix for this with the enamel reducer???? I would like to use the spray gun... I think a quart would be enough for just the undercarriage.. or would i need more???

I'm not sure what the mixing ratio is. Not sure the label says either. You might have to experiment. Just keep adding reducer until it the spray quits spattering, but not too much to where it runs easy.
I only tried spraying Rustoleum twice. It stayed sticky forever and took days to dry. It could have been that cheap thinner was to blame. So if your at Home Depot and have a choice between mineral spirits and a good grade enamel reducer, get the better grade. A quart should be enough.
Maybe someone that sprays alot with Rustoleum can give better advice.

Steve

Thanks steve for the advice... I appreciate it... Will be checking it out when i get to home depot.

Well, Im sure you figured it out by now but I thought I'd chime in anyway. I just used my sprayer for the first time last week and found that Rustoleum should be mixed with up to 15% Acetone. I suggest about ten percent but that's for you to decide.

Cheers.

Somemonkey - 1976 Honda CB550 Rebuild

The automotive grade paints are expensive and for the undercarriage the Rustoleum would be fine. Rustoleum is an enamel with a slow cure reducer and a small amount of hardener in it. Add 5% of a fast(low tempurature)reducer and a few ounces of hardener and it will dry like any automotive paint. Go to a paint shop and see if you can get some one to give you a little bit, the stuff is expensive. The half pint bottle of hardener I bought when I did mine cost $150 :eek:.

How much prep work is needed/recommended before spraying the undercarriage with Rusoleum? Something between power washing and blasting work ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom