Miniature model of your Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
So, since I stumbled upon this forum, I have been fascinated with the RC 4x4s, especially the scale versions, and I have become obsessed with building a miniature version of my Series 80.

11885154_10206626413413481_1675498177206456750_n.jpg

I've also just started going on club drives, and think it would be really cool to bring my mini-me rig to dink around with when they inevitably stop to b.s..

Additionally, as I watch videos on people driving their RC rigs, I am noticing that a 1/10 scale model can actually help teach wheeling technique, provided one doesn't have a super capable RC chassis.

There are a bunch of chassis available that will work for a Series 80, but despite the lack of solid axle, Tamiya's CC-01 chassis is the closest to realistic handling characteristics I've seen and can be had for $150 - 200, with either a Series 40 or FJ Cruiser body already on it. RC4WD has a Hilux which is solid axle, super detailed, but runs around $300 - 500.

RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR w/Mojave II Body Set

There are only two choices for premade Series 80 bodies. One is from Modelex, which is tough, super detailed and exactly 1/10 scale, but runs from $180 - 200 a pop.

Body LC80 Hard plast ABS

The other is a clear Lexan unit which is actually 1/12 scale and relatively flimsy, made by Colt which is $20.

for Axial 1/10 Crawler CC01 #M2324, ,(M2324) by COLT LC80 LAND CRUISER Clear Body Set

Without explaining all my rationale, but mostly having to do with how much money I can flush away on a toy, I am considering taking a CC-01 Series 40, lengthening the chassis from 252mm to 260mm and putting the el cheapo Colt body on it, painted up exactly like my truck. To solve the scale issue, I'm considering going to smaller wheels.

Here's an example of what someone did before me; I think there is much to emulate, (and improve) here.

If you wanted to go smaller, you could get a Losi 1/18 scale truck and use a tamiya 1/24 scale static model body on it. You could use the detail parts from the tamiya model kit (they have two versions, a regular, and sport model, the sport version has more offroad type items).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom