mind the gap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing all my brake hoses last night as they looked pretty old; it turns out they're the originals as noted by bands on each of them reading 2/76 and 3/76. My FJ40 is 3/76.

When I installed the center front line that attaches to the little block on top of the front differential (where it splits to the left and right for the front calipers) I noticed it didn't screw all the way in so I took it out, inspected it and the block's threads. They're both fine. No crossed threads or other damage. So I compared it to the one I had taken off of there and found that the one that was on there originally also had not been threaded in all the way as noted by several of the threads being rusty and caked with mud. (see first picture, below)

Comparing both lines (below). Sorry about the orientation of the picture but if you lay on your back and hold your computer over your head it will feel about right.

So my question is . . . will this be a problem? Should I put some washers on there? There was a brass washer on it like there was on all the others.

Your two cents is appreciated . . . go!

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

The sealing is done on the face of the tube against the bottom of the bore of the fitting so it is fine that there is spare threads showing.
The caliper fittings seal with a copper washer on the shoulder of the fitting unlike this one so have a shorter thread.

Cool. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom