Military Spec FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to check out a 76 "Canadian Military FJ40" tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has ran across these? it's the OD green all around, military front bumper and rear with jerry can holder on the ambulance door. It's decent looking from what I can tell.

My question is has anyone ran into these in the past? i've searched and not really pulled up many results. Is there any significant difference between the 40's that were built for the military and the ones put out to the public aside from the obvious (color/bumpers and a few other parts and pieces).

Can anyone suggest things I should look for upon inspecting the cruiser? and does anyone have any pictures of their military spec cruiser?

Also are these worth any more or less compared to civilian released 40?

Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Canadian Military spec FJ40s.

But, it could be that they were maintained better than a lot of privately owned 40s.

At any rate, try to get dry and wet compression tests ... new was around 150 psi - the lower threshold is 113 psi (I think) - people drive them with less, but they burn oil and don't have all their power.

You also want to be wary when two adjacent cylinders have lower numbers (like 130, 130, 105, 105, 128, 129) - could be a head gasket issue.

I'm sure others will give more and better suggestions.

HTH

Be sure its an actual "Mil Spec" 40. While I personally haven't heard of a mil spec 40, the current owner may assume it is, or was told it was, when it might not be. Typically off road vehicles made by the factory for cross over into actual mil/tactical use will have allot of metal data tags under the hood, or on the dash, that might state military type info or even instructional details on how to use the certian items in the cab. Be wary that things like jerry can mounts, bumpers and paint may not equate to an actual "mil spec" vehicle . Usually the driving lights on cross over mil spec /tactical vehicles for will have specific headlight switches that will not allow for accidental bumping/turning on of the headlights . Also, NATO use tactical vehicles typically do not have ignition switches that have keys (The steering wheel is usually locked in garrison with a cable that loops around the steering wheel and the other end is attached somewhere on the dash frame ) Think combat: you dont want to be looking for lost or misplaced keys when its time to HA. Maybe look for radio mast ant. mounts as well?

Thanks these are things I am also wondering about. It does have an ignition switch unlike a humvee and most military vehicles. I suppose it could be a vehicle converted over to look as such, hence why I haven't been able to find much on them.

Seen military spec 40s in both Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. Also Australia military ordered special built HJ47 troop carriers. Never heard of any in Canada. Thought their military used Land Rovers. Our military uses Land Cruiser around world. As far as I know this our stock converted to a special use and not delivered as a military spec vehicle. Could be the same in Canada but any mods were probably done after it left the factory which would mean just stock vehicle with mods.

Thanks these are things I am also wondering about. It does have an ignition switch unlike a humvee and most military vehicles. I suppose it could be a vehicle converted over to look as such, hence why I haven't been able to find much on them.
I have seen this in the early bronco many times and they are real deal military spec rigs with placards to prove it. With that said, I am not familiar with an FJ40 version, but have seen military(esque) looking ones old episodes of Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot as well as old Godzilla movies, but they were from Toyota's Motherland.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a weird bit of info i've gotten on it so far.

However if my thought process is correct. Even if it's a 40 that has been modified to look as if it's a "military spec" land cruiser, it's still a land cruiser.

2015-05-23_01.48.59.jpg

20150523_005649.jpg

According to Archer Vice they use military fj40s at area 51.. Could be its from there and imported to Canada.

D

Looks like someone converted it and not the military. Roof rack and lights do not look like anything military spec. FJ 4076 I serious doubt would be what a military would be identification the military would have given it.

Could it maybe be a prototype and all the extras not military were added on later? In the paperwork a military data plate is included ill put a pic

Looks like someone converted it and not the military. Roof rack and lights do not look like anything military spec. FJ 4076 I serious doubt would be what a military would be identification the military would have given it.

I believe you are correct someone restored it to look military

Canada has an army? who knew?

joking aside, outside of the bumper treatment and the lights, what's military about it? most military is 24v, and all have the largest alternator you can put on them. In addition, why would they buy gas powered when diesel '40s were available? still, that looks like a solid start - and I bet it'd have a hell of a story if it could talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom