middle east cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
So is it just me, or do you folk also get distracted while watching CNN clips of Iraqi civilian activities looking at all the assorted landcruisers in Iraq? It beats watching the weapons inspectors who had too many Patrols and 4runners. On Friday there was a documentary in Canada called Return to Kandahar about a Afghani woman who had settled in Canada going back to look for a childhood friend. Interesting documentary I guess but I was constantly distracted by the huge number of landcruisers of every shape and vintage on the roads there (as far as I can tell every second civilian vehicle in Afganistan is a landcruiser). There were lots of 45s, 55s, and 60s, 80's plus they seemed to have had a fullsize 70 series that is not the same as the Australian model and looks more like an 80.

So here's my idea. Post your middle east landcruiser sightings right here and we'll keep track until we have spotted every model out there:

I'll start with an extended bed 45 carrying three families in a CBC story yesterday about Kurdish families hiding in the hills around Kirkut.

Also, a British checkpoint checking over two Iron Pig 55's coming into Basra featuring lovely two tone white body and rust red fender paint jobs.

I love those middle east cruisers.They are so sweet. Solid axle 100 series! :D

My all time favorite 3rd world cruisers are the 105's that are used as border patrol vehicals, I'm not sure of the nation that uses them, but I would guess either Qatar, Kuwait, or Saudi Arabia. They have big turrets cut into the roofs, with M2 machine guns. My dream cruiser would be one of those 105's, with a diesel and a 5 speed manual trany :D. Everytime I watch the news, I'm struck by the number of cruisers that pop-up, its really a testament to the longevity and durabilty of these tanks!-John

Personally, I dig the 75 and 78's. :)

In the LSLC club, there's a member that's a photog for a Fort Worth paper - Tom Pennington. He's over there (and has had numerous front page photos by the way) and keeps everyone dazzled with some great photos with cruisers.

Hey Wench - we could all take up a collection and send ya over there to bring some back. :D

Ok folks...

This has got to be the M.E. cruiser mentioned. So what model is this?

90_desert_patrol_03.jpg

what's that odd little snorkel thing mounted on the bumper in front of the left headlight?

Ok folks...

This has got to be the M.E. cruiser mentioned. So what model is this?

90_desert_patrol_03.jpg
That's it! That's my favorite M.E. 100.

what's that odd little snorkel thing mounted on the bumper in front of the left headlight?
My guess is it is a satillite link?

Yeah, I would guess satellite link, or miliary grade GPS antenna.-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom