MetalTech family cage shaped like the factory soft top bows

Discussion in 'Metal Tech' started by davegonz, Sep 30, 2010.

1. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

How about a family cage in the shape (close enough) of the factory soft top bows? It just makes sense to spend the money on one thing instead of two (bows and family cage).
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. That sounds like a great idea... It would definitely help if someone could fab a family cage that is capable of supporting the Factory soft top..
  3. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

cool idea...
  4. New2Cruiser

New2Cruiser

I need a cage and a top... I would definitely buy that!!!
  5. wichitakid

wichitakid

Cool thought! Post up if something comes of it.
  6. Dunbar

Dunbar SILVER Star

Where do I send my deposit? Are you heading up the design, manufacture oversight and group buy? Good man.
  7. davegonz

LOL! You're funny. I could come up with a CAD drawing for them if I had a set of bows to take measurements from.
  8. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

You'll actually need to take measurements from a PROPERLY INSTALLED set of bows... you'll need to know where the tops/sides are when a top fits properly.

mark
  9. davegonz

Yep, probably no easy feat, but I'm sure someone can come up with something. The other sticking point would be where the door seals up against the sheetmetal part on the FST bows.
  10. got my interest level peaked here as well. Look forward to hearing ideas take shape.
  11. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

I traded some emails w/Dave G... I am thinking of moving this forward...
    Mark

12. Do it! Seems like a great idea! Tell me when it's done and I'll buy!
  13. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

Price of a cage = X
    Price of an OEM style soft top frame = Y

I'll bet we could come it at something a little less than X+Y

mark
  14. New2Cruiser

New2Cruiser

Keep us updated...
  15. peteinjp

peteinjp SILVER Star

I'm glad I found this thread- I was just thinking about the same thing as I need both. I vote keep it simple- really just like the bows. I would only use this with a soft top so I think its fine if it does not fit the hard top. Any progress? This could be a good seller for sure....

pete
  16. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

Dropped the ball.. but I'll be talking to a fabricator in the next few days about this....
  17. peteinjp

peteinjp SILVER Star

Great- let us know what you find out.

pete
  18. peteinjp

peteinjp SILVER Star

Just reviving this thread- its a good idea and it there is a demand for the product. One question- would the FST still fit well if the top bars are not curved? Will it still shed water well? Also other design issues- how would it be possible to integrate with the door frame? In my opinion the coolest way to do it would be to have a heavy frame that bolts on where the hard top usually does that supports the cage. It could use the same gasket as the hard top. Other thoughts in terms of design?

Pete
  19. woytovich

woytovich GOLD Star

R&D was stymied by the holidays... I hope to open discussions with a fabricator later this month. Yes, the plan is to make it perfect or don't make it...

Mark
  20. peteinjp

peteinjp SILVER Star

Well I've been thinking about it and I'm thinking that the cleanest and strongest way- although not the easiest- would be to have a frame that sits on top of the body as the hard top does- as I posted above. I think spreading the load across this would negate the need to go lower and tie into the frame etc. Especially if the door frame was also incorporated into the design. The other thing that is nice about this idea is that all the tie downs could be incorprated into the horizontal framework that that runs along the top of the body. That way when the soft top/cage was removed the body would be dead clean. Also sitting on top of the body rail would negate the need for the rear tubes to S-bend as they come up from the rails. Not only would be easier to make and install it would be stronger. Another advantage of having the cage start from the top of the body instaed of resting on the wheel wells would be a huge increase in terms of usable space in the cabin.

Like I said not easy- but in order to work it has to solve all the problems that the OEM bows do- including sealing the doors, and lining the soft top up with the exterior.

I also have some thoughts about how mounts for a rack might be able to be incorporated.

Pete