1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

metal art!! Do you make art out of metal?

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by haryv, Jun 27, 2011.

1. haryv

haryv

I recently came across this site and had a good laugh at the artist modified hammers. I have always appreciated metal art. I now have a welder, and may just make some nice thinks for my wife, or family but do not know just what yet to do :)

Enjoy the site:
    flamingsteel

2. Chop Shop

Chop Shop  

My metal art has lockers and hits trees.
  3. Gusb

Gusb

haryv - Thanks for posting - very cool site :)
  4. JohnR

JohnR

I tend to dabble in metal art. I haven't done much besides people's names cut out of 1/4" plate. Although, when my puppy of 17 years passed last year, I made her 3 roses that would never wilt. I believe it was 18 gauge sheet, 6-layers deep, a few petals made out of 1/8" hammer forged on an anvil, and stems from 3/32 308l tig filler wire. I'll see if I can get a picture.
  5. JohnR

JohnR

[​IMG]

I found a puppy picture of her, as well as how I wrote her name when I was 10. I made several copies enlarging it every time, and the ex made the outline for her more bubbly and 'puppy like'. I then plasma'd them out.

Roses were all done with a torch, I feel I have more of a connection with something using just a torch than I would with plasma/tig.

[​IMG]

I've also made a few bonsai tree's out of brass and stainless for my mother and her friends. Grind your welding table nice and clean, even to the point of wiping with acetone, then slowly melt brazing rod (with flux removed) about 18" above the table, and stitch together the random droplets. Warning, be prepared to get burned several hundred thousand million times from tiny splashes of brass. Well worth it though.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. haryv

haryv

That is soo cool :) I was thinking of making a rose to! BTW, I have been scrounging for metal. Guy emailed me saying "yes, you can pick up the 20 foot of aluminum railing." thats free aluminum for welding.
  7. I make fireplaces out of truck brake drums...the legs are the old cam from the fj45. I cut the door with a 1 mm 4 inch grinder cut off disc.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
  8. FJ40-GARAGE